Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agree, and our trading history with Collingwood doesn't make for great reading -

Us trading in Jack Anthony who actually looked half decent while playing for them.

Us sending them James Clement, Brodie Holland, Paul Medhurst who they probably got the best out of.

The only win for us was probably James Aish although we probably overpaid a bit.
Anyone know if Paul Medhurst has an AFL worthy son? because he played 99 games for us…

Someone needs to sit him down and make him watch a replay of those first five or so games. It felt like every time he got a posession he would turn it over. So much so that I noticed every time he got the ball and joked to myself that he would turn it over, and he did.

Here are his DE's this year. Clearly, the stats back your memory.

Round 1 - 76%
Round 2 - 61%
3 - 36%
4 - 46%

13 - 90%
14 - 76%
15 - 71%
16 -78%
17 - 75%
18 -78%
19 - 78%
20 - 75%
21 - 83%
22 - 55% (not sure what happened here!)

Liam was playing like s**t when he was dropped to Peel.

If we lifted our skirts every time a player cracked the shits at being dropped we may as well fold.

And the fact Liam would crack the shits at being dropped while playing like that is an indictment on his attitude.
100%.

In fact, you can point directly to some of those turnovers that directly resulted in opposition goals which directly cost us games which has now ultimately cost us finals.

Atrocious attitude if you want to leave because you're having a sook because you got dropped for being utter shite.

Harden the **** up Liam. I have backed you in for far too long.

So yet another winger is leaving and we have to spend yet more seasons developing another one. Are we ever going to have a season where we'll have a full list of developed players ready for a premiership tilt? We're beginning to feel like the Ship of Theseus except we lose decent planks and replace them with untested ones to keep us in mid-table mediocrity.

That's fine I suppose but footy is a passion / hobby, if we arent getting frustrated on young players leaving the club consistently then what are we doing? Additionally, we go on here because we enjoy talking about all things footy. If we just talked about definitive things it would be pretty boring
I'm pretty passionate about footy and love watching it for itself and analysing it at any number of levels and to talk about it. Happily I can go "there's no action for me to do here" so I don't tie my guts in knots over something I can't control.

I think it will be better for us (and him) if he stays and so hope that's what happens. The "better for us (and him)" part is in no way guaranteed.

An AFL career is the proverbial candle in the wind, so I'm also not going to begrudge too deeply players trying to maximise that, however flawed their decision-making might be.

The words written again back up twomeys claim (foxfooty site)

"Hopefully I get to make that decision sooner or later … I‘ve got to make it sooner or later so it’ll definitely come out."

Dno if they've gone in and done a little tinkering on the wording for him?

Think people are reading into a nervous Henry too much

You know who will never leave?

The 2023 AFLW Buddy Draft.

Loyalty guaranteed*!

*Guarantee not legally binding.

The words written again back up twomeys claim (foxfooty site)

"Hopefully I get to make that decision sooner or later … I‘ve got to make it sooner or later so it’ll definitely come out."

Dno if they've gone in and done a little tinkering on the wording for him?

Think people are reading into a nervous Henry too much
Definitely if we're taking the pov the answer was a raw less polished one the interpretation makes sense that he's still in deciding mode but garbled up the phrasing (which might also come from being in the realm of uncertainty).

The more polished, refined and practiced way to answer it (regardless of decision status) is to say something like: "I'm still working through the details, but prefer to put more focus on footy, the team and my form at the moment so unfortunately, for those waiting to have an answer, it won't come until I've had some more focus time after the season's finished."

I mean, you could also read into the halting answer as potentially showing Liam's not as sold on a mooted move out as Colin is.

Immediately before that particular pointed question, he'd sung the praises of Sonny's influence and support to his development pre and post draft.

Definitely if we're taking the pov the answer was a raw less polished one the interpretation makes sense that he's still in deciding mode but garbled up the phrasing (which might also come from being in the realm of uncertainty).

The more polished, refined and practiced way to answer it (regardless of decision status) is to say something like: "I'm still working through the details, but prefer to put more focus on footy, the team and my form at the moment so unfortunately, for those waiting to have an answer, it won't come until I've had some more focus time after the season's finished."

I mean, you could also read into the halting answer as potentially showing Liam's not as sold on a mooted move out as Colin is.

Immediately before that particular pointed question, he'd sung the praises of Sonny's influence and support to his development pre and post draft.
The one thing bothering me in this thread is putting Young on a pedestal as if he's some kind of King maker.

Young is not telling Henry to leave, he's telling Henry to get the best possible deal no matter where it comes from. His motivation is both for Henry and himself as he gets more if Henry gets more.

Thus, if Freo pay up, Young will be on board with him staying.

A lot of drama and inference that Young is trying to burn Freo, he isn't, he has a vested interest in being on good terms with all 18 clubs. He's just at the aggressive end of the spectrum when it comes to fighting for his clients best interests.

Henry has actually done the right thing. He's delayed his contract and started playing amazing football. Each week he is raising his value. He has two more games left to push that value up as high as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Colin Young gets a cut of business dealings then it's in Young's interest for Henry to set up his base of operations in Melbourne or Sydney too. If Colin is invested in the branding outside the football then the markets elsewhere are bigger and better.

That's not even considering that a club like the Pies could arrange for business income to subsidise salary cap.

The one thing bothering me in this thread is putting Young on a pedestal as if he's some kind of King maker.

Young is not telling Henry to leave, he's telling Henry to get the best possible deal no matter where it comes from. His motivation is both for Henry and himself as he gets more if Henry gets more.

Thus, if Freo pay up, Young will be on board with him staying.

A lot of drama and inference that Young is trying to burn Freo, he isn't, he has a vested interest in being on good terms with all 18 clubs. He's just at the aggressive end of the spectrum when it comes to fighting for his clients best interests.

Henry has actually done the right thing. He's delayed his contract and started playing amazing football. Each week he is raising his value. He has two more games left to push that value up as high as possible.
Best interests and money aren't always the same thing. I get the feeling that Colin just cares about maximising money, see Logue for example. It would be interesting to know how much pressure he puts on his clients when two offers are apart and the old club is the lesser of the two? Is it just left in the players hands to make the decision on what is best for them or is Colin selling the bigger offer trying to add another storey onto his house?

Best interests and money aren't always the same thing. I get the feeling that Colin just cares about maximising money, see Logue for example. It would be interesting to know how much pressure he puts on his clients when two offers are apart and the old club is the lesser of the two? Is it just left in the players hands to make the decision on what is best for them or is Colin selling the bigger offer trying to add another storey onto his house?
This so much. They are very different things. I legit wonder if Griff regrets his move at the moment, even before the ACL I'd bet he does. I am not going to begrudge Logue taking that offer, I'm not going to begrudge anyone taking a much bigger monetary offer in a career as short-lived as an AFL player BUT Young absolutely encourages his clients to prioritise money over anything else and that doesnt necessarily mean happiness.

I thought the man was a slimy douchebag before Mark Duffield basically started slandering him all over his podcast and after he did, I knew he was a slimy douchbag. I dont think I've ever heard Duffield talk about a public football person as he did Young last year

Last edited:
This so much. They are very different things. I legit wonder if Griff regrets his move at the moment, even before the ACL I'd bet he does. I am not going to beget Logue taking that offer, I'm not going to beget anyone taking a much bigger monetary offer in a career as short-lived as an AFL player BUT Young absolutely encourages his clients to prioritise money over anything else and that doesnt necessarily mean happiness.

I thought the man was a slimy douchebag before Mark Duffield basically started slandering him all over his podcast and after he did, I knew he was a slimy douchbag. I dont think I've ever heard Duffield talk about a public football person as he did Young last year
What did he say about Young?

So yet another winger is leaving and we have to spend yet more seasons developing another one. Are we ever going to have a season where we'll have a full list of developed players ready for a premiership tilt? We're beginning to feel like the Ship of Theseus except we lose decent planks and replace them with untested ones to keep us in mid-table mediocrity.
Already one waiting.. remember Noddy.Only injury has stopped him already being in the 22.

This so much. They are very different things. I legit wonder if Griff regrets his move at the moment, even before the ACL I'd bet he does. I am not going to beget Logue taking that offer, I'm not going to beget anyone taking a much bigger monetary offer in a career as short-lived as an AFL player BUT Young absolutely encourages his clients to prioritise money over anything else and that doesnt necessarily mean happiness.

Pretty sure Griff is loving it over there

Traino said he moved to Melbourne on the big bucks, shaved his head and has a model girlfriend now, best decision of his life

whats there to regret really? yeah hes teams going shit house but should only be temporary and theres a lot more to life than the 3 hours of a game on a weekend, probably pretty happy with himself in Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back