Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Derm says a lot of things, a decent amount are best left ignored these days

Yeh, what would the Hawthorn Footy Club's greatest CHF who played 189 games for us winning 5 premierships and kicking 427 goals, representing the Big V nine times, know about whether a new kid might be dropping the ball a little skew-if?

I mean, I get it that you might not like all his commentary, but choosing to call him out for noting a ball drop that doesn't always flush the boot laces seems awfully confident of your powers of observation.

Like your takes mostly, not this one.

Yeh, what would the Hawthorn Footy Club's greatest CHF who played 189 games for us winning 5 premierships and kicking 427 goals, representing the Big V nine times, know about whether a new kid might be dropping the ball a little skew-if?

I mean, I get it that you might not like all his commentary, but choosing to call him out for noting a ball drop that doesn't always flush the boot laces seems awfully confident of your powers of observation.

Like your takes mostly, not this one.
He can be all of the things you said and still absolutely love the sound of his own voice, which he does.

He can be all of the things you said and still absolutely love the sound of his own voice, which he does.

And can what you said be true and he's still made an accurate call about Calsher's ball drop?
;)

Just seemed a weird post to respond to to drop the hammer you had cocked for Derm?
Again, he's a color analyst, not a call of the play one.
His job is to take a few more words than the minimum to paint a picture we might not be seeing if simply following the chain of possession.....

Derm says a lot of things, a decent amount are best left ignored these days
I know what you mean but Dermie offers some very specific insight ....minute detail stuff like ball drop and spin of the ball ...and I remember that bit of commentary and he was saying that he and Lynch were watching Dear kicking for goal before the game and noticed this ... admittedly he said this after a Dear set shot that skewed right.

I think he's good value on these things and Dear's set shots...both drop punts and round the body have been a bit hit or miss so I wouldn't necessarily discount him on this.

I say this as somebody who has NFI about dissecting a player's kicking action so I use all outside comment both posters on here and the likes of Dermie to try to understand where issues might be.

Without wishing to be in any way confrontational do you think Dermie is completely wrong on this observation?

I know what you mean but Dermie offers some very specific insight ....minute detail stuff like ball drop and spin of the ball ...and I remember that bit of commentary and he was saying that he and Lynch were watching Dear kicking for goal before the game and noticed this ... admittedly he said this after a Dear set shot that skewed right.

I think he's good value on these things and Dear's set shots...both drop punts and round the body have been a bit hit or miss so I wouldn't necessarily discount him on this.

I say this as somebody who has NFI about dissecting a player's kicking action so I use all outside comment both posters on here and the likes of Dermie to try to understand where issues might be.

Without wishing to be in any way confrontational do you think Dermie is completely wrong on this observation?
I think Derm takes pride in his ability fill blank space with verbage.

You can go back and watch Dear's shots for goal on the AFL app if you'd like, the highlights should be there for every possession and disposal he has for every game. He is inaccurate but none of his shots from the weekend were anywhere near off the side of his boot. He certainly had one come off the side of his boot against Brissie but I'm pretty sure it was just a miskick rather than the product of a technique issue only Derm could identify.

Maybe This is something that Gunston and Breust could work with him on over summer both were great kicks for goal in there prime.

It’s been mentioned before but after watching the replay of the game Sunday night it was reassuring and enjoyable listening to Lyon/Huddo/Jack/Mooney probably seeing Calsher for the first time talk about him each time he flew for a mark, went on a lead etc …… from this kid is exciting, geez he flies for his marks, knows when to lead, this kids going to be good etc. They know one when they see one!

Still an 18 yo for another couple of months!!!! Overnight he has added so much unpredictability to our forward line structure complementing our quality group of small/mid sized forwards. It’s quite amazing to be honest still shaking my head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it fair to say he is a throwback with his style. The current game isn’t used to it and why free kicks are given away on a simple Dear lead. A bit of Nathan Thompson in style. A real purity to his game that is a reference for the team to adjust to so Dear’s traits are maximised. Exciting.

Still can't believe the floor impact this guy is having as an 18yo KPF, I can't think of anyone in recent years like it.

As they said in the commentary, he was having a massive impact on play, ignore his stat sheet. He's won over Gary Lyon who I don't mind as a commentator.

When it all clicks together for this kid, geez, he could be bloody anything, so awesome to be pumping games into him at 18!
I remember Garry Lyon having a go at Jeka a few years back and also Tim O'Brien for not competing with the defenders to bring the ball to ground. Dear is doing this, a few times he just hasn't been strong enough so been beaten but look out when he's a bit stronger and more experienced.

Calsh or Calsha seems Ok.

Episode 1 Police GIF by BBC

I like that line of thinking, Dasher, Dancer, Comet, Blitzen all work.
Dasher / Calsher

5 letters the same

Shear anagram of those letters

Shear is what you do to sheep

That becomes fleece

There was a Golden Fleece back in the olden times

A hero took that fleece

It was jason

He was the chosen one

Therefore

Calsher should be the Chosen One

The chosen one was anakin

Anakin become the most powerful sith lord

His nickname is now clear, it is “Lord Vader”

Dasher / Calsher

5 letters the same

Shear anagram of those letters

Shear is what you do to sheep

That becomes fleece

There was a Golden Fleece back in the olden times

A hero took that fleece

It was jason

He was the chosen one

Therefore

Calsher should be the Chosen One

The chosen one was anakin

Anakin become the most powerful sith lord

His nickname is now clear, it is “Lord Vader”
Sadly, that made sense to me.....

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back