Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think they've not kicked it to him because they don't think he's capable, I think we've just got a lot of forwards who get up a head of steam heading towards goals and have a ping.

For reference, he's good from in close - <30m - and he's good from 50m+ which is his most exciting attribute.

View attachment 2078063
That's a great stat sheet. Looking forward to the day you click on each and see the actual footage.

Wouldn't surprise me - I imagine the order of priority is pick the draft age player, if they're both draft age players go for the earlier pick. Clearly it isn't body of work because Calsh's is bigger.
To an extent.

Dear has more games, tackles and has a slightly better disp eff.
Caddy average more goals and possies, just.

Their games on the weekend were near identical

It's very tight, both deserved it. Hopefully he gets a bag in the next 2 weeks

Last edited:
How good was his mark today? Fan-bloody-tastic đź‘Ź

He has really had an exceptional year considering he was a roughie to even be drafted.
What a career this kid is going to have for us.

19 goals in 14 games. Great return from a pick 56.

Hard to see him ever being a bad player with the skill set he has. I feel like once his body is conditioned a lot more and he can get past the cramping late in games perhaps his accuracy will start to improve.

The only question I have is how far do you go in terms of building size on him? It’s not like he lacks strength in the contest as it is and I wonder how much you affect his ground ball game by just throwing an extra 7-8kg on him over a pre season. Tbh I’m pretty happy how he is if he can just build his tank a bit more. Keen to see how this unfolds

Calsher Dear has played 14 games.

He's been subbed out in 6.

He's kicked goals in 10 games.

Kicked multiple goals in 7 games.

This is not normal. He's taken one less contested mark than Aaron Cadman who has played 32 games with 5 of them being subbed out.

Jed Walter, the consensus number one forward in the draft and AFL ready man child has played the same amount of games, been subbed out less (3 times), has kicked 11 goals to Dear's 19 and has taken 8 contested marks to Dear's 14.

I saw Jye Amiss play this weekend, top 10 pick, 21 years old. I thought, gee, he's tracking well for a young forward, would love to have him at Hawthorn. You compare his third year output with Calsher's and there's nothing in it.

You can go through and do the same first year comparisons with whoever you want. Jamara, Thilthorpe, Curnow. Whoever. And Dear always stacks up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19 goals in 14 games. Great return from a pick 56.

Hard to see him ever being a bad player with the skill set he has. I feel like once his body is conditioned a lot more and he can get past the cramping late in games perhaps his accuracy will start to improve.

The only question I have is how far do you go in terms of building size on him? It’s not like he lacks strength in the contest as it is and I wonder how much you affect his ground ball game by just throwing an extra 7-8kg on him over a pre season. Tbh I’m pretty happy how he is if he can just build his tank a bit more. Keen to see how this unfolds

His only 2 goals of Buddy's first year, that how well he is going.

Which he should equal next week or pass.

Calsher Dear has played 14 games.

He's been subbed out in 6.

He's kicked goals in 10 games.

Kicked multiple goals in 7 games.

This is not normal. He's taken one less contested mark than Aaron Cadman who has played 32 games with 5 of them being subbed out.

Jed Walter, the consensus number one forward in the draft and AFL ready man child has played the same amount of games, been subbed out less (3 times), has kicked 11 goals to Dear's 19 and has taken 8 contested marks to Dear's 14.

I saw Jye Amiss play this weekend, top 10 pick, 21 years old. I thought, gee, he's tracking well for a young forward, would love to have him at Hawthorn. You compare his third year output with Calsher's and there's nothing in it.

You can go through and do the same first year comparisons with whoever you want. Jamara, Thilthorpe, Curnow. Whoever. And Dear always stacks up.
Amiss kicked 41 goals last season and 35 so far this season.

He is MILES ahead of Dear right now.
Let’s be sensible.

On Dear, I absolutely loved the certainty with which people derided my calls to bring him in early this season.

People who spoke with the authority of relaying truths directly from the club that Dear is not ready and had a lot to work on (first year player w work do do? Imagine…)

Why do people insist on knowing things when they don’t.

Let’s be sensible.

On Dear, I absolutely loved the certainty with which people derided my calls to bring him in early this season.

People who spoke with the authority of relaying truths directly from the club that Dear is not ready and had a lot to work on (first year player w work do do? Imagine…)

Jye Amiss is 21 he did kick 40 yes but I think that was second year of senior football

Let’s be sensible.

Miles ahead is a massive stretch. Let alone MILES.

Amiss has played 87% time on ground this year to Dear's 65%. I'm taking that into consideration a bit, because of course Amiss' raw totals this year are better. He's played more games and played more minutes in those games.

With that, Amiss has kicked 1.7 goals a game to Dear's 1.4.
Amiss 8.7 (5.3 effective) disposals a game to Dear's 7.1 (4.7 effective).
Amiss 3.9 marks to Dear's 2.7.
Amiss 0.8 contested marks to Dear's 1.0.
Amiss 1.4 tackles to Dear's 2.4.
Amiss 0.6 1%ers to Dear's 2.3.

Like I said, I really like Amiss! I think he's going to be a great key forward for a long time. On a per minute basis, Dear has out performed him this year (although it's close). You can't linearly scale time on ground to counting stats because Dear needs to build up his tank, etc, etc.

But that's what I'm getting at and what excites me about Dear. You put up a comparison against a really good third year key forward who was a high draft pick in a winning team, and he's right there with him having just turned 19.

Miles ahead is a massive stretch. Let alone MILES.

Amiss has played 87% time on ground this year to Dear's 65%. I'm taking that into consideration a bit, because of course Amiss' raw totals this year are better. He's played more games and played more minutes in those games.

With that, Amiss has kicked 1.7 goals a game to Dear's 1.4.
Amiss 8.7 (5.3 effective) disposals a game to Dear's 7.1 (4.7 effective).
Amiss 3.9 marks to Dear's 2.7.
Amiss 0.8 contested marks to Dear's 1.0.
Amiss 1.4 tackles to Dear's 2.4.
Amiss 0.6 1%ers to Dear's 2.3.

Like I said, I really like Amiss! I think he's going to be a great key forward for a long time. On a per minute basis, Dear has out performed him this year (although it's close). You can't linearly scale time on ground to counting stats because Dear needs to build up his tank, etc, etc.

But that's what I'm getting at and what excites me about Dear. You put up a comparison against a really good third year key forward who was a high draft pick in a winning team, and he's right there with him having just turned 19.
Dear will become a better overall KPF in my opinion, but right now, as the comparison was made, Amiss is way ahead.
Goals and marks do matter most for a big forward.
Anyhow, both great prospects.

Joel Friejah 29 disp 7 score involvements probably gonna get the better of Calsher unfortunately. He’s been so stiff nomination wise
I saw that game before ours started .

He played well . But if he gets it over Dear on one really good game ( his other 10 have been ok/average ) I'll be pretty disappointed .

Calsher just missed last week and has followed with another 3 goal game . Its a no brainer.
Keep saying it , his consistency in a KP position over his games is outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back