Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

The goal in the second quarter where Dear dived into a pack of players in the goal square, outmuscled and out read them for the ball, then got to his feet and kicked truly was otherworldly.

The commentators said something like somehow it came to him and he kicked the goal. But he reached in, and grabbed it then forced his way to his feet before anyone on the ground had even stood up.

Calsher is a next level talent, been telling my friends he's looking better than Buddy was in his first year. His junior career says that he has the talent and will to kick big bags of goals often.

You could easily argue he'd go number 1 in that draft based on output this year. It's a fairytale for the club and us that he's stepped in and looked the business pretty much from his first few Box Hill games.

Last edited:
The goal in the second quarter where Dear dived into a pack of players in the goal square, outmuscled and out read them for the ball, then got to his feet and kicked the goal was otherworldly.

The commentators said something like somehow it came to him and he kicked the goal. He reached in, and grabbed it then forced his way to his feet to kick a goal before anyone on the ground had even stood up.

Calsher is a next level talent, been telling me friends he's looking better than Buddy was in his first year. His junior career says that he has the talent and will to kick big bags of goals often.

You could easily argue he'd go number 1 in that draft based on output this year. It's a fairytale for the club and us that he's stepped in and looked the business pretty much from his first few Box Hill games.

His the next Carey

The goal in the second quarter where Dear dived into a pack of players in the goal square, outmuscled and out read them for the ball, then got to his feet and kicked the goal was otherworldly.

The commentators said something like somehow it came to him and he kicked the goal. He reached in, and grabbed it then forced his way to his feet to kick a goal before anyone on the ground had even stood up.

Calsher is a next level talent, been telling me friends he's looking better than Buddy was in his first year. His junior career says that he has the talent and will to kick big bags of goals often.

If you watch carefully he uses his left hand to push the ball under a players armpit so it comes out behind their shoulder where he cant reach it. and immediately grabs it with his right hand and gets up to kick it.

It was really clever.

If you watch carefully he uses his left hand to push the ball under a players armpit so it comes out behind their shoulder where he cant reach it. and immediately grabs it with his right hand and gets up to kick it.

It was really clever.
He's done quite a few of these things, there was another contest where we ended up getting a goal but he was out of position, competed to get the ball to drop, and then tried to bounce it to himself out of the contest. He missed it, but it's just part of the instinctual basketball stuff he's doing. He also doesn't give up on the ball being out of play until the opposition 100% controls it, he's stolen it from his defender a number of times now. It's gonna be the new "did you know Scott Pendlebury has a basketball background" imo.

He's done quite a few of these things, there was another contest where we ended up getting a goal but he was out of position, competed to get the ball to drop, and then tried to bounce it to himself out of the contest. He missed it, but it's just part of the instinctual basketball stuff he's doing. He also doesn't give up on the ball being out of play until the opposition 100% controls it, he's stolen it from his defender a number of times now. It's gonna be the new "did you know Scott Pendlebury has a basketball background" imo.

I want to say it's 3/4 times that he's stayed in the contest and grabbed the ball from an opposition player then kicked a goal

The speed he gets the ball onto his boot in each of these is freakish for a guy his size.

The one last week where he tapped it back from the goal line and got up to gather and goal himself was just as nuts as this week's where he read the ball in the mess of players on the ground, tapped it to himself and got up to kick a goal.

But so was the one a month or two back where he ripped it from a contest when he was standing out the back, then turned to goal. Nobody around him saw it coming or even tried to stop him.

There's a couple more I reckon, plus that one you mention when he tried to dribble it to take possession. He sees what is happening faster than others, and reacts and acts faster than them too.

Does he have a basketball background? I’m constantly amazed how at every marking contest, he has the IQ to know if he’s not gonna mark it, tap or bring it down into space for someone around him.
Yes, there's some footage of him dunking while playing for Sandrinham Sabre's in the Paul Dear documentary https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-program/dare-to-hope-the-paul-dear-story/2276992579683

Paul was on the board of the SBA (Southern Basketball Assiciation) based out of the king club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good was his mark today? Fan-bloody-tastic

He has really had an exceptional year considering he was a roughie to even be drafted.
What a career this kid is going to have for us.

There was a mark that he went for about 5 mins before that was even higher, in a middle of a pack of players, it hit his hands but he couldn't take it, if he had it would have been mark of the year and talked about for a long time.

This was a great effort. Just to get a hand on it to make sure it became a 50/50 ball shows great fight and will to compete. As good as Chols Royce has been at ground level this year I would love to see him do things like this more often.

I hope he doesn't get it this week (I think Freijah deserves it anyway) so that the team rallies around him and ensures he gets a bag of 10 against North next week.
There really needs to be some positional weighting when it comes to the rising star because for my money a 3 goal, 5 scoring shot game for a 19 year old key forward is worth a 30+ disposal game for a 19 year old half back.

He did something similar in one of his first games at Box Hill. You just scratch your head and think how the hell.
Out of all our players I am most excited about this kid.

Last edited:
Afl.com.au have just put up an excellent article on him, real quality read with some great insights into the boy (so well spoken, mature and articulate), as well as the culture of the club and how important people like Andy Collins are.

Really enjoyed that, almost as much as Calsher's highlight reel!

Does he have a basketball background? I’m constantly amazed how at every marking contest, he has the IQ to know if he’s not gonna mark it, tap or bring it down into space for someone around him.
His overall footy IQ is through the roof, haven’t seen anything quite like it from a key forward since maybe Roughy. Still hard to believe we jagged Watson and Dear in the one draft, amazing

Here's a link to the article, not so easy to find

IMO this is hands down one of the best stories in the AFL this year. Pretty much every time the kid takes the field he's bringing peace + healing to his family. Funny to think that at the start of the year we were all bickering if it was right or wrong to throw him a debut 😂 😂 😂

Calsh has surely earned the 'body of work' nomination this week.

If body of work nominations existed he’d have been nominated already. 7/14 games he’s kicked multiples. For reference Cadman didn’t have multiples in any game until his second year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back