Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a golden opportunity to take a mark on the chest but just bounced out.

Thought he completed well, especially in conditions that didn't suit him. Some nice handballs to release our smalls.

Thought he completed well, especially in conditions that didn't suit him. Some nice handballs to release our smalls.

Looked to me like Quaynor got his hand in.

Dear (and Chol) brought the ball to ground so many times. He still managed to have an impact even without clunking big marks.

Looked to me like Quaynor got his hand in.

Dear (and Chol) brought the ball to ground so many times. He still managed to have an impact even without clunking big marks

He's really good at spoiling to the advantage of our smalls.

He kept Moore occupied.

I noticed Moore was blocking his run to stop him jumping into contests. Obviously teams are starting to put some work into him.

Great thing was if he knew he couldn't mark it he was happy to make the effort to get a hand in and make sure the ball came to ground. His follow up work on the ground was excellent as always.

Needs to learn the Carey marking style the flying over the pack chest mark, when his pack jumping in the wet, and having the pack fall away under him.

He's really good at spoiling to the advantage of our smalls.

Something I noticed too. And a few good deft tap ons that were very helpful in the wet. Some great 1%s that you wouldn’t normally expect from Somme one so young, particularly playing in his role.

9 wins 1 loss as a player. Competes well giving our small forwards (I think we have the best small forward fleet in the league currently) plenty of opportunities. The Lewis injury means he will have to play when available. Seems to have a really good footy IQ and that leap is mouth watering!

He rarely seems to be out marked. Then gets the ball to ground in good spots (and then follows up at ground level). pretty ridiculous that in his first year can not only play on high quality defenders but keep them busy/give them trouble. Out of all the good stuff from this season so far Dear is still the find.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they're using him just right - getting games into him, but putting him in cotton wool if things aren't going his way. Saturday, for example, was not the day for a teenage tall forward in his very first season. He didn't look too happy to be subbed (probably thought he could still contribute), but he'll get over it. Kid's a future Rolls Royce.

I think they're using him just right - getting games into him, but putting him in cotton wool if things aren't going his way. Saturday, for example, was not the day for a teenage tall forward in his very first season. He didn't look too happy to be subbed (probably thought he could still contribute), but he'll get over it. Kid's a future Rolls Royce.
Obviously just wants to be out there and playing as much as possible. Club is doing a great job of managing his minutes while exposing him to the level. He may feel he’s being held back but really he’s on the fast track.

Honestly, I don't want a player who is happy to be subbed off. I think that's a good quality, won't be happy until he's playing full time.

Honestly, I don't want a player who is happy to be subbed off. I think that's a good quality, won't be happy until he's playing full time.
I agree, as long as they don't cracks the shits like Sanders. Be unhappy, but understand it's a team game.

I think the best thing about Dear is when drafted he himself said in comparison to McCabe and Watson (when asked if they thought they could have immediate impact and play AFL) he was more a development player.

Then early Box Hill form and some injuries and we're thinking "will he get a game, his form is good but raw" we had no option but to play him as he was next in line and we needed to play a tall. He's played every game since and i'd say most are convinced he'll be a great player. Really just needs to build strength and endurance and he'll be contending for the Coleman in my opinion.

His footy iq (likely in some part to Gunston - what a player to learn off) seems a very high tier, his obviously learning at a rapid pace, once his body catches up watch out.

Everything he does is quality and he might be the most competitive person at the hawks which is ridiculous to say - we have a team of competitors that hate loosing.

He rarely seems to be out marked. Then gets the ball to ground in good spots (and then follows up at ground level). pretty ridiculous that in his first year can not only play on high quality defenders but keep them busy/give them trouble. Out of all the good stuff from this season so far Dear is still the find.
His marking, competitiveness feel very natural too. Add that to the fact he appears very coachable, sky is the limit.

He was cramping up big time. That's what he was disappointed with.

Tough conditions for elite runners, for a young player with barely a pre-season under the belt I'm not surprised he cramped.

I would love to get Gunners into the side still as I think he frees Calsher up but don't know how you play Gunner and Breust in the same side

Love Calsher's attitude and attack on the ball, he's a great tackler and applies forward pressure. Can't wait to see him next season with another pre-season under his belt and another several kilo's of muscle on his frame. Undisputable future weapon.
Not to mention his natural footy touch. That banana goal was next level for a bloke his size. He could be really special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back