Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

This year just gets better and better.
Whilst I’ve never placed too much joy on this weekly award when given to Hawthorn players, this one is really special and is the icing on the cake.
Have a look at his interview with his mom after his first goal.
Very moving.

The whole Hawthorn tribe is going to love this fella’s career.

Not trying to put unfair expectations on Calsher - but Buddy’s first season yielded 21 goals from 20 games. Calsher is now at 19 goals from 14 games - it’s very bloody exciting.
In an era where it's harder to score as well.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not trying to put unfair expectations on Calsher - but Buddy’s first season yielded 21 goals from 20 games. Calsher is now at 19 goals from 14 games - it’s very bloody exciting.
Buddy’s first year at Hawthorn we we’re shockingly bad

Also Buddy wasn't a traditional body on body contested mark type KPF. Dear has been halving contests and winning a lot of them aged 18 most of the season. That is unheard of. I cant think of another player in recent memory that was doing that at such a young age. The last one that springs to mind is John Longmire who won the Coleman at 19 but most players dont fill out and develop "man strength" until well into their 20's. There was a goal on the weekend where he just leaned down and picked up the ball from the ground with two defenders hanging off him and lifted them into the air like a gorilla as he punted the ball through the sticks. His old man was a tough SOB and i have a feeling Calsher might even be the next level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a find Calsher Dear is. Performing comparably to (or outperforming) top draft draft picks like Walter, Cadman, Ugle-Hagan (in first year). And he’s a 4th round draft pick! It’s like getting a free #1 draft pick. So exciting to have a young key forward with a talent to mark the high ball or bring it to ground, and love his second efforts and defensive pressure. The vision of him in U18 comp last year looked so raw – what a trajectory!! Sam Mitchell had interesting comments on AFL 360 tonight around how Calsher’s rise makes him reconsider how they assess talent. It seems to also point to the culture and player development the club has, with coaches such as Andy Collins and Gunston’s role this year. Love it. Such great signs for the future. Congrats Calsher on the well deserved Rising Star nomination today.

Last edited:
I reckon out of current key forwards in their first year (as 19 year olds) the only player I remember as having a clear better season than Dear is having right now is Cameron, and he was identified as one of the best players in the country as a 16 year old and signed by GWS as a 17 year old.

Also Buddy wasn't a traditional body on body contested mark type KPF. Dear has been halving contests and winning a lot of them aged 18 most of the season. That is unheard of. I cant think of another player in recent memory that was doing that at such a young age. The last one that springs to mind is John Longmire who won the Coleman at 19 but most players dont fill out and develop "man strength" until well into their 20's. There was a goal on the weekend where he just leaned down and picked up the ball from the ground with two defenders hanging off him and lifted them into the air like a gorilla as he punted the ball through the sticks. His old man was a tough SOB and i have a feeling Calsher might even be the next level.

This is all the confirmation I need to understand he will be better than Buddy :)

He's got that history of kicking bags at the lower level, and that uncanny knack to always look like he might kick a goal at AFL level.

He's always looking to find ways to score, just like Bud was. He's more unselfish than the great man, might have kicked more already if he'd not been looking to give it off as often.

Just lost the plot here Monday morning US time.. it's only a nomination... But it's happening!!!!!!

Shades of Cyril's first year - big team contribution with goals and defensive pressure, and now a rising star nomination.

Love the Calsher, love his character and talent. So psyched for him and his family. He's risen from the ashes of loss and tragedy to a height few would have thought possible.

And it's only his first year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back