Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me a bit of Liam Baker type role for Richmond, and how he just became a real pain on the rebound and his hard running all day. I hated playing Richmond because of these types of players, feel like we are building that same sort of attacking system on the rebound, we have too many to go with and it is relentless to play against.

Probably one of the key reasons we've been performing so well the last few months is due to this guy.

Two of the biggest knocks on him early this season were his finishing in front of goal and his defensive efforts. Looking at him now those two things would now appear to be two of his biggest strengths.

Reminds me a lot of a young Jordan Lewis.

Reminds me a bit of Liam Baker type role for Richmond, and how he just became a real pain on the rebound and his hard running all day. I hated playing Richmond because of these types of players, feel like we are building that same sort of attacking system on the rebound, we have too many to go with and it is relentless to play against.

I still see a player somewhere between Zac Bailey and Connor Rozee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Connor MacDonald our "Wildcard" player? Andy Maher thinks so.

Maher: “They’ve got better players than him, but Connor MacDonald is starting to loom. He’s starting to hit the scoreboard, he’s really clean, he’s tough and he’s a mid/forward. There’s something about this kid.

“I think he likes big moments, Connor MacDonald.”

He's got what looks to be a pretty fun role providing he works hard with his running as he has been. Get some touches, get some snags, set teammates up. Fun fun fun.

edit: Just to add, his defensive output now is top notch. Chases and tackles HARD.

Perfect 10 in the coaches votes.

It's unbelievable how good Croc has become as a HFF after being drafted as almost a pure inside mid with limited scoreboard impact.
Crazy:

POSITION: Inside Midfielder

SNAPSHOT: "An accumulating inside ball-winner who produced an outstanding season for the Stingrays, able to catch the eye with his stoppage work and athleticism, as well as defensive pressure."

Connor Macdonald is an inside midfielder with a speedy burst out of congestion and some nice all-round athleticism. With some terrific inside skills, as well as his decision making generally being on-point, it is more about ironing out Macdonald's kicking and finishing execution than anything else. With the Dandenong Stingrays this year he picked up no less than 24 disposals from his four games, including two matches of 30-plus disposals in what was an outstanding showing of consistency, catapulting himself into draft calculations.

STRENGTHS:

• Acceleration
  • Stoppage positioning
  • Accumulation
  • Inside game
  • Athleticism
  • Tackling

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Kicking consistency
  • Finishing

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back