Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a weird feeling this post won't age well come tomorrow night...

Clarko doesn't typically drop players after one poor game, and I hope he follows the same logic for team selection. Wasn't the right conditions for the kid, we hardly got the ball forward.

Clarko doesn't typically drop players after one poor game, and I hope he follows the same logic for team selection. Wasn't the right conditions for the kid, we hardly got the ball forward.

agree - cant blame him when the ball came in so little and when it did, it was usually bombed in to allow thier 3 star backmen pick it off with ease

im tipping some big tackling pressure from C.Nash this friday night....

Hard for Nash to dominate with only 37 inside 50s.
Gunston and Breust were equally poor.
The issue isn't that he didn't dominate though, 5 touches and 1 tackle for the game is extremely under par. I love Nash as much as the rest of the Hawks fans, but if Schoey or TOB produced a similar game the fans would not be letting them off due to 37 inside 50s. If he stays in the team i hope he can bounce back though.

The issue isn't that he didn't dominate though, 5 touches and 1 tackle for the game is extremely under par. I love Nash as much as the rest of the Hawks fans, but if Schoey or TOB produced a similar game the fans would not be letting them off due to 37 inside 50s. If he stays in the team i hope he can bounce back though.

Schoenmakers did in the last two rounds before finals, when we had more inside 50s and in better conditions. Difference is Schoe has been playing his whole life and has been in the AFL for 10 seasons, Nash has been playing for 2 years and has had his first truly poor game.

Hopefully this taste of finals football Spurs him on to bigger and better things with the Hawks.

Needs to learn the game better and how to position himself in more dangerous positions and become more attacking.

All in all some great signs for the future

Hopefully this taste of finals football Spurs him on to bigger and better things with the Hawks.

Needs to learn the game better and how to position himself in more dangerous positions and become more attacking.
Not to mention he has to fix his set shot kicking for goal which rivals Stratts and Langers,for the title of the worst in history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly this final series has shown how much work Connor needs to do to get to AFL standard.

The game / lateral / spacial awareness just isn't there which is a little surprising as most of the Irish boys seem to pick it up pretty quick.

Maybe this is a result of his Rugby background instead of Galiec Football.

Certainly has the athletic traits to make it given time.

Has som great traits, but a lot of work to do.

I initially thought that a big nimble forward could be an amazing asset. However if he can’t do the tackling as often or quickly as a small forward, and can’t crash the packs, I’m not sure how he fits.

Maybe on a wind?

I think Conor has the traits to go ok when led to the footy by his opponent but he has very little forward line nous. I can't remember seeing another player so out of their depth in a big final for the hawks.

Honestly this final series has shown how much work Connor needs to do to get to AFL standard.

The game / lateral / spacial awareness just isn't there which is a little surprising as most of the Irish boys seem to pick it up pretty quick.

Maybe this is a result of his Rugby background instead of Galiec Football.

Certainly has the athletic traits to make it given time.

Played both Rugby and Gaelic. Interesting article with a few details I was not aware of:
https://www.balls.ie/gaa/conor-nash-394200

Apparently he snuck back to Ireland and played in a Gaelic county championship without telling the club. Club were not happy. Interesting section on our drinking policy too.

Bump.
Everyone is talking about Mitch Lewis but what about Connor Nash?
Clarkson obviously has Nash ahead of Lewis given the selection of Nash through this years finals.
But will Nash make it?

He is only 20 and is an extremely fast for someone who is 197cm and 93kg. He is a brilliant tackler and has created goals though his forward pressure.
But:
He can't mark and can't kick straight and often doesn't appear to know where to position himself on the forward line.

Bump.
Clarkson obviously has Nash ahead of Lewis given the selection of Nash through this years finals.
But will Nash make it?

He is only 20 and is an extremely fast for someone who is 197cm and 93kg. He is a brilliant tackler and has created goals though his forward pressure.
But:
He can't mark and can't kick straight and often doesn't appear to know where to position himself on the forward line.

He can work his opponent.

He can’t overhead mark.
He can’t kick.
Kicking should be something that will get better in due time.

Bump.
But will Nash make it?

But:

Yeah both are project players, neither are going to be the answer to our problems in 2019 sadly.

He can work his opponent.

He can’t overhead mark.
He can’t kick.
Kicking should be something that will get better in due time.

Ok I accept he can chest mark.
Lewis is the same size as Nash - 198cm and 92 kg. Lewis is a good overhead mark and can kick straight.

Comparing Lewis and Nash:

Same size
Lewis is a much better overhead mark.
Lewis is a much better kick
Lewis has better forward positioning
Nash is much faster than Lewis
Nash tackles better than Lewis.

On those measures I'd pick Lewis but there is something about Nash that makes me like him. I think it is his competitive mindset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back