Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

He will get there with his kicking . Another 1-2 seasons and he will be fine

I remember watching Kennelly having a kick pre game before he debuted for the swans . Couldn’t hit a barn door from 10m away .
Had a similar technique then to Nash .
He ended up being decent and Nash will too

Ticks enough other boxes for now !

Is it just me or is Nash similar to Buddy early in his career. Athletic, fast, big, but a poor kick. Nash is a better mark at this stage too. 197cm vs 199cm for Buddy. 10kg lighter.

High hopes.

Is it just me or is Nash similar to Buddy early in his career. Athletic, fast, big, but a poor kick. Nash is a better mark at this stage too. 197cm vs 199cm for Buddy. 10kg lighter.

High hopes.
Lol not really. Buddy had ‘best player in the competition’ written all over him right from the start. Saying he couldn’t kick isn’t right - he’d often kick 5.5 but he could kick goals from anywhere

I think Nash has a good future but let’s not get silly.

I would have liked to have seen another couple of seconds - just missing the good part where Lloyd is crumpled over in pain.
Notice how he was up on his feet within a split second - Cyril-like recovery.

We've a major talent on our hands here - just needs skill work and game smarts, and patience from fans.

Notice how he was up on his feet within a split second - Cyril-like recovery.

We've a major talent on our hands here - just needs skill work and game smarts, and patience from fans.
Its a very sweet action all round. He just glides over the turf, wraps him up and falls so the target takes the weight and rebounds him back to his feet. Tackle bags never felt this good.

Conor must love it. Sitting ducks, just waiting to be popped. These guys just have no idea how to take a tackle, and they should be thankful he hasn't set his sights on creaming anyone yet. Massive credit for such a clean technique and his restraint when he does go someone (and I was expecting Alir last night), he is going to hurt someone - physically and mentally. The AFL are going to clamp down on it somehow, outlaw the rugby style driving tackle.

One fear I have is that the rugby codes are going to take notice of this kid. It's not just that he could've played two codes at home to represent his country, its that the codes here could be looking to poach him for similar honours. Increased fitness base, professionally trained, disciplined athlete, with a strong background in the arse sniffing codes. Why wouldnt they be looking.

That's just an honest to goodness rugby tackle.

It's funny, all the training on locking in the arms and rotating in the tackle and this bloke comes along, breaks all the rules but tackles so ferociously that it just doesn't matter. Opponents can't dispose of the ball well because they're folded in half.

I really hope Hawthorn players take a little out of Smash's technique over summer.

It's funny, all the training on tackling the arms and rotating in the tackle and this bloke comes along, breaks all the rules but tackles so ferociously that it just doesn't matter. Opponents can't dispose of the ball well because they're folded in half.

I really hope Hawthorn players take a little out of Smash's technique over summer.
Its the same tackle style as Jed Anderson, hit the body and dislodge the ball rather than pinging the arm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol not really. Buddy had ‘best player in the competition’ written all over him right from the start. Saying he couldn’t kick isn’t right - he’d often kick 5.5 but he could kick goals from anywhere

I think Nash has a good future but let’s not get silly.

Oh my word. I know we want a new cult hero, but please, please be patient!!
He needs and will get 50 games of experience. The young bloke will make it because he is super smart, committed, loves the club and is thankful for the opportunity.

he is going to hurt someone - physically and mentally. The AFL are going to clamp down on it somehow, outlaw the rugby style driving tackle.
Good.
I hope he hurts a lot of players week in week out.
Fact is he is very unlikely to actually injure anyone much- and if he does it will be cracked ribs and intracoastal cartilage.
The AFL cares about head and neck injuries not blokes wincing when they run.

Good.
I hope he hurts a lot of players week in week out.
Fact is he is very unlikely to actually injure anyone much- and if he does it will be cracked ribs and intracoastal cartilage.
The AFL cares about head and neck injuries not blokes wincing when they run.
Fact nothing. AFL bodies are not physically prepared to have a shoulder driven into the ribs. Cyril could deliver that hurt. No one has felt a professional tackling machine running through them at his speed, with his weight ... the laws of physics and all that. Rugby and league players have massive muscle through their midsections to wear that impact, neck and shoulder muscle to wear the whiplash, and they have had a lifetime of conditioning preparing them for precisely those tackles. They most often also have the benefit of being able to brace for impact.
That said, I hope he drives straight through the duckwood before he has a chance to drop his knees. There's no time or even point in slipping the arms up to draw the free, he's just going to expose himself and make a juicier, more tender target.
Where the AFL has tried to make the tackle redundant by not awarding free kicks, or the offload throws, incorrect diposals, prior opportunity, yadda yadda yadda bullshititis, its all going to come undone. Conor Nash will crash, bash and smash the ball free for our crumbers, and leave them momentarily a man down in play
Conor knows how to hurt. Burgers and Cyril too. Nic-Nat can, but cant help himself. Both Alir and Daw could, but I feel hold themselves back because they fear what they might do.
He's going to be a gamechanger. Definitely going to put some Cyril type fear into defenders thinking about hanging onto the ball.

The most wonderful thing from his tackles is the amount of time the oppo player stays down for. Both swan and saint players stayed down. Can’t wait to see Connor really flush a tackle. I think he will strike fear into any defender.

Its a very sweet action all round. He just glides over the turf, wraps him up and falls so the target takes the weight and rebounds him back to his feet. Tackle bags never felt this good.

Conor must love it. Sitting ducks, just waiting to be popped. These guys just have no idea how to take a tackle, and they should be thankful he hasn't set his sights on creaming anyone yet. Massive credit for such a clean technique and his restraint when he does go someone (and I was expecting Alir last night), he is going to hurt someone - physically and mentally. The AFL are going to clamp down on it somehow, outlaw the rugby style driving tackle.

One fear I have is that the rugby codes are going to take notice of this kid. It's not just that he could've played two codes at home to represent his country, its that the codes here could be looking to poach him for similar honours. Increased fitness base, professionally trained, disciplined athlete, with a strong background in the arse sniffing codes. Why wouldnt they be looking.
NFL...

Too many braincells.

Wasn't he going to study medicine? He's smart enough to avoid that fate, regardless of his athletic ability.

Afterthought ... if we're playing off in the GF, do we give him a chopout and let him win the GF sprint as well as the Normie?

So, the Rising Star gets handed to a bloke with 13 disposals while getting 4 goals kicked on him!! Without Nash’s efforts we probably don’t win against saints!!! But then again, the scum ‘ deserve ‘ good stories according to the flogs at AFL House. Just like McGrath apparently having a better year than Burton!
I suspect they are extremely reluctant to give our Rising Star noms to kids they haven't had a hand in (or can take credit for) developing. Nash didnt go through the AFL Europe combine even. So no credit coming back to shifter and his staff (such as Mick Ablett, Kennelly and now Marty Clarke in Ireland).

AFL bodies are not physically prepared to have a shoulder driven into the ribs.
Or even a bicep
a98db60876a31784b29dadd681ebb39d

Do you think he will settle up forward, or is he more suited to a behind the ball role, across half back etc? He looks a beauty!
I'd think he'll stay forward whilst developing a 'centre square' edge to his game.

We love a pressure forward & he naturally does that, as well as being our tallest forward (not incl. ruckmen) by 3-4cm.

For now, he's in the Team due to his physical attributes & pressure he applies. Hopefully this will develop & in 1-2 yrs he'll be selected due to his attacking play. By then he may be able to play HFF or even as a tall wingman, running between HB-HF & providing a marking target.

I don't think his kicking suits HBF. I've not seen much, but I don't think it's creative enough at this stage. Wouldn't rule out a FB / CHB role in the future though, that's for sure!

Conor - you have two weeks to get that kicking on target mate - no pressure :)

Physical attributes and application make him one of the most unique and exciting Hawk rookies I have seen in a long time - which is quite something given some of the gems we've uncovered and developed this season; case in point --> WORPEDO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back