Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we supporters can take him for granted a bit too much. Every good midfield group is built on balance. This means a balance of attacking and defensive attributes. He plays the non sexy role very well and is probably one of the first picked every week.

Thought he was the 2nd best player on ground after Meek yesterday.

Was just a brute in the contest.
Sammy sent him to go toe to toe with Serong, the 3rd best clearance player in the comp, at stages. Beat him at his own game. Not many can say that.

The thing I love about Nash is that there's clearly a synergy between the two sports he played growing up in Gaelic and Rugby when it comes to playing Aussie Rules. That's the reason he's been so successful in such a different role to most other Irishmen, that spacial awareness of who is around you and finding them by hand and then finding the body of an opponent is much more a rugby skill and he does it so well.

You just know that if Nash gets first hands in at clearance the post clearance ball use will be so clean and he will do his best to lay shepherds to give them time to dispose.

well, if I was Nash's manager, I would be advising him not to sign.
he's a better player than Battle, so where is Connor's $5m deal?
there would be plenty of clubs interested in getting him, and like Battle, he is an UFA.

Or, he could sign a reasonable deal to play for the coach that believed in him, developed him, with the teammates who love him, and in a game plan and style that works for him.

Also, tonnes of people devaluing Battle on here from any number of avenues. Don't get it at all.
For sure most haven't watched much of his play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He ain't leaving
Matthew Mcconaughey Chest Thump GIF by Paramount Movies

All credit to the coach.
Under Clarkson, Nash was struggling as a half-forward.
It was Sam who saw that we needed toughness in the midfield and that (almost) 2 metre Nash had that ability, especially with his Irish rugby background (schoolboy champion and all of that).

The midfield is the key under Sam. He has worked hard to get the tough nut attitude. Newcombe, Worpel and Day are the key but Nash is the toughest.
Moore also when he plays midfield - he’ll run through a brick wall.
And we’ll surely see the Wiz have his time at centre stoppages. He’ll be a sensation and, with his aggressive attitude, he’d bring down a rhinoceros.

But we need the depth. Mackenzie is looking good. Ward is a smooth mover but has been dropped twice this year to Box Hill. The coaches said to work on his “stoppage craft”. That’s probably code for be harder at the ball - make an impact at stoppages. Yesterday he showed he’s getting there.

Again, whether it’s Nash or Ward or the others, it’s all credit to Sam. Premierships are built on tough midfielders.
Clarkson tried to ruin him but failed. He succeeded with Glass unfortunately. He could’ve been a player

Clarkson tried to ruin him but failed. He succeeded with Glass unfortunately. He could’ve been a player
I dunno, Glass' temperament was his issue. If he was good he was good, but as soon as he made one mistake he'd drop his bundle and make 10.

Nash is a different player, different prospect.

I dunno, Glass' temperament was his issue. If he was good he was good, but as soon as he made one mistake he'd drop his bundle and make 10.

Nash is a different player, different prospect.
Glass was a quick free flowing athletic star who was never allowed to play to his strengths. He was frustrated by the rigid structure Clarko set for him. Mitch understood what Nash’s strengths are before anyone else including Clarko and has blossomed ever since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back