Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, I'm happy with Chol. Will be crucial once he and Lewis are up and running in the not so distant future. When both are fit and play together consistently, it will be huge for the development of calsher.
Don't see it with Ramsden unfortunately, hope I'm wrong but that's my early call on that debate.

Chol’s pressure work in the 50 cannot be understated. For such a lackadaisical looking player he really does bring the heat. Very high tackles and pressure acts for a forward.

His marking and field kicking are also very good when he’s playing higher up the ground. Closer to goal, his lack of strength and technique in marking contests is more exploitable. Even then, as has been mentioned, his marking average is on par with some good forwards.

I think he’ll excel when Lewis is back in the side, and will form a valuable partnership with Dear as two KPFs that provide tackle pressure.

If you can figure out a way to get a Charlie Curnow for a pick in the 30s I'm all ears.

In fact you may as well send your CV to Sleepy Mark and you can share the corner office with Roughy.
Im not a recruiter and I’m not after Curnow, but I’m fairly certain we didn’t recruit him to lead the I50 tackle count.

Unless I’m missing something, he’s job will be to compete as a marking target, engage a tall defender and relieve in the ruck. You obviously believe he’s achieving those goals. From what I’ve seen so far, I haven’t been impressed.

Yes, he’s an upgrade on Kosi, but he still hasn’t been great.

Four year contract or not the money he is on is about bang on AFL average. Not sure why people are placing marquee expectations on him.
I’m not. Trust me when I say my expectations aren’t high at all.
However, I believe that in 2 years time we’re going to be looking at Chol playing for Box Hill because he’s been overtaken by better players. At that point, we’ll still have him for another 2 even though he isn’t going to be good enough for our best 22.

I’m not. Trust me when I say my expectations aren’t high at all.
However, I believe that in 2 years time we’re going to be looking at Chol playing for Box Hill because he’s been overtaken by better players. At that point, we’ll still have him for another 2 even though he isn’t going to be good enough for our best 22.
And?

And I think a 4 year contract is overs for a player that will spend his last 2 years at Box Hill.
Cool, and does he even agree to join us if we offer him 2 years?

No, he doesn’t.

Exactly, we have so much cap space we dont know what to do with it. If Chol has been supplanted by Ramsden/Dear/DGP or some other KPF then happy days - Box Hill will have an experienced body to assist in development and the Hawks will have a back-up for the inevitable injuries.

We havent broken the bank for him and he has been pretty durable over the journey so there are worse things.

If we have kp forwards better than Chol in two seasons then I’ll be happy to have him as backup for the average afl salary for another two seasons.

But I think he will be better than that and we are unlikely to have better KP forwards any time soon, unless we snatch a free agent or manage to trade for one.

Chol has been very good for us so far.
First season and still settling.
I am rather pleased w his form.

Im not a recruiter and I’m not after Curnow, but I’m fairly certain we didn’t recruit him to lead the I50 tackle count.

Unless I’m missing something, he’s job will be to compete as a marking target, engage a tall defender and relieve in the ruck. You obviously believe he’s achieving those goals. From what I’ve seen so far, I haven’t been impressed.

Yes, he’s an upgrade on Kosi, but he still hasn’t been great.

We signed him up to do exactly that.

Surprise surprise it's pretty difficult to do that as the sole key forward because your partner is a sick note.

He's done well in trying circumstances against some very strong defenders.

And I think a 4 year contract is overs for a player that will spend his last 2 years at Box Hill.
4 years is the new 2.

I was never stoked with bringing him across but a key forward who can at least play AFL level is important when there is an absolute dearth of that sort of player in the league, as there is currently.

Does it really set us back? Is it worth you being so upset about? We're in a position where we have cap space and we need to pay it to someone, we're not likely to run into cap issues over the next few years so what's the point in complaining?

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it gets to a point where so many players have surpassed Chol within 2 years and he won’t get senior games - he’d have an end of season interview at some point, a frank conversation would be had and he could secure a trade elsewhere. Whats the drama?

Having a depth KPF/ruck isn’t really a drama and if he’s on ~$400k that’ll be peanuts by the time 2026 comes around.

In the 3 games Chol has played with Mitch Lewis as the number 2 he has kicked 5 goals and 3 behinds, taken 11 marks, and had 9 tackles.

1.6 goals a game, 3 and a bit marks and 3 inside 50 tackles from your second forward is a great return, all while being competitive in the ruck.

This is also against May and Lever as well + being subbed off against the Dons.

All our listed players are contracted, and the ones that dont play in the seniors each week will play at box hill unless injured. What is your point?

I’m not sure what people have been watching but I’m seeing chol as a great pick up this year. Tall mobile forwards like him are rare, is a handy in the ruck, and has come with the bonus of applying defensive pressure. He is a massive upgrade from last years list and his versatility will become a weapon in time. Stop being dweebs and get around him.

Chol’s pressure work in the 50 cannot be understated. For such a lackadaisical looking player he really does bring the heat. Very high tackles and pressure acts for a forward.
Happy If You Say So GIF

In the 3 games Chol has played with Mitch Lewis as the number 2 he has kicked 5 goals and 3 behinds, taken 11 marks, and had 9 tackles.

1.6 goals a game, 3 and a bit marks and 3 inside 50 tackles from your second forward is a great return, all while being competitive in the ruck.

This is also against May and Lever as well + being subbed off against the Dons.
Yeah, playing with Lewis and after solid games v the Dons and the Dees, at one stage in the Geelong game he was taking towering marks and I thought he was about to literally rip the game apart. Yes he was unsettled and overawed in the Suns game and like everyone else I was angry about the reversal of the Hardwick goal v the Swans.

But breaking all this down, Mabior seems a confidence player with huge upside. Don’t understand the criticisms here. Doesn’t have the pedigree of Stewie Dew, but one day on the big stage I can almost see it happening…

His marking and field kicking are also very good when he’s playing higher up the ground. Closer to goal, his lack of strength and technique in marking contests is more exploitable. Even then, as has been mentioned, his marking average is on par with some good forwards.

I think he’ll excel when Lewis is back in the side, and will form a valuable partnership with Dear as two KPFs that provide tackle pressure.
If the club is clever, they'll work to his strengths roaming around the half forward to half back line. If they can also minimize his weakness and strengthen his contested marking up a bit, you have a really high level player. There's plenty to work with.

Chop is actually pretty good if you look at the actual output.

He is a Moneyball victim because he looks so lacksadaisical. If you put his numbers alongside his players who did everything the same but looked more intense and looked more like he cared, most commentators would rate that person really high. Just that the footy industry does not understand how he can look so lazy, that’s why he will always be underrated by them and fans alike.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back