Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun says...

Uncontracted former No.6 pick Denver Grainger-Barras is hopeful of securing a lifeline with Carlton but it will likely take until after the trade period for him to get to the Blues.
The key defender remains unsigned at Hawthorn after not playing an AFL game in 2024 and met with the Blues last week.
Carlton is unlikely to trade for him and would rather wait to scoop him up as a delisted free agent or summer sign on player, should they want him.

This might not be the most popular opinion right now, but I hope we keep DGB. If there's an option to delist and re-sign him as a rookie, it would give him another year (ideally with a full preseason) to prove to himself that he has what it takes to be a consistent and valuable player in a strong team.

The great thing about him is that, if he can become a reliable contributor, he can make an impact at either end of the field.

Denver looks like being another story of heartbreak. This game is so ruthless.

Gun Junior, high draft pick, world at his feet at that stage. Full of confidence and energy.

But, bit by bit this game will find you out.
At the highest level any weaknesses are magnified x 100.

I feel for kids like him. There are so many.
Huge Dream, limited genetics= heartbreak.

We've seen some absolute footballing miracles recently like -Nash and Moore.
Denvers would be something extraordinary.
At least the other 2 were fantastic aerobic athletes.
He is long way back in the qeue now. A new club could be his best chance.

Good luck too him. Hopefully he gets an injury free run wherever he is.

Gun Junior, high draft pick, world at his feet at that stage. Full of confidence and energy.

Agree with all of that.

I'll just never understand how he got through the endurance testing. Surely his time would've stood out as a red flag.

Well put. This has been on my mind a bit lately. Always is this time of year. So tough! Can only imagine what it's like for some of these players and their families.

I really hope that Denver comes good and gets that AFL career. Even if it's for another team, I'd love to see it.

At the time DGB looked like the safest pick. It was the 2020 draft where most competitions had been abandoned due to covid, so the WAFL was one place where you could actually witness the development of draft eligible players.

DGB was a dynamic intercept-marking tall defender, which was exactly what our list required at that point in time. The big issue for me was that he was projected to be a Key Defender, when in reality he was only ever a skinny 3rd tall. We already had Scrimshaw and Sicily that were superior in that position, so over time he was just being pushed further back in the pecking order when Blanck and Serong arrived and were outperforming him.

I hope DGB does get another crack on an AFL list and manages to have a successful career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. But for pick 6, you'd want that box ticked off the bat.
In hindsight, was a massive risk taken.
You can't tick the box off the bat because it involves reasonable expectations about the future and not current status. Recruiters make judgements about future development all the time. whether they concern future body mass or capacity to rectify specific skill deficits. You recruit on potential. This is based on performance playing with and against peers and on testing. He would have tested well in most areas and we would have been confident his aerobic capacity would improve substantially in an elite conditioning program - as it usually does. I don't think his failure to develop is a poor reflection on the recruiters as it could not be reasonably predicted at the time, when he was widely regarded as a top 10 prospect.

Yes. But for pick 6, you'd want that box ticked off the bat.

In hindsight, was a massive risk taken.
FWIW - 5 out of the top 10 in the 2km time trial from 2020 either didn’t get drafted at all, or have been exited from the AFL system with a handful of senior games.

The 5 who remain on AFL lists are Nik Cox, Heath Chapman, Harry O’Driscoll, Harry Sharp and Sam Berry.

Hardly looking like a line up of future Hall of Famers.

Recruiting in 2020 was an absolute crap shoot.

FWIW - 5 out of the top 10 in the 2km time trial from 2020 either didn’t get drafted at all, or have been exited from the AFL system with a handful of senior games.

The 5 who remain on AFL lists are Nik Cox, Heath Chapman, Harry O’Driscoll, Harry Sharp and Sam Berry.

Hardly looking like a line up of future Hall of Famers.

Recruiting in 2020 was an absolute crap shoot.
Where did Denver place?

Where did Denver place?
No idea but his agility score was top 5.

Recruiters pick kids based primarily on their strengths and the perceived ability to translate junior performance to senior.

Denver was agile for his height, a decent kick and a confident intercept mark. They were the boxes that were ticked.

Where he has fallen short is temperament and endurance. Not the first and not the last.

A change of scene is exactly what he needs.

The most unusual thing for me with DGB is that, from the outside looking in at least, his aerobic capacity appears to hardly have improved over four years in the AFL system (obviously I don't have access to his records that's just a casual observation

That's pretty unusual given he has done four pre seasons now. The sheer amount of work he would have done and he is still struggling to run out a game at VFL level is not something you'd expect.

Still best of luck to the lad, hopefully he finds another club willing to take a punt on him as he does have ability to go along with his deficiencies.

Can't believe we passed up on Gulden, he was right there and we let him slip. Huge error from the team
Sydney probably still would have matched and gone into deficit for the following year.

Their first round pick in 2021 has only played 9 AFL games in total, so probably wouldn't have had a massive flow on effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back