Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was terrific when he came on and unlucky not to have kicked a goal. I might be imagining things but he seems to have the same gait and head tilt as Josh Kennedy when he has the ball. He really did remind me of josh tonight.

Last edited:
Thought he was terrific when he came on and unlucky not to have kicked a goal. I might be imagining things but he seems to have the same gait and head tilt as Josh Kennedy when he has the ball. He really did remind me of josh tonight.
You're not crazy. I had exactly the same thought while watching the game. It was absolutely striking.

Looked good. Don't know where we squeeze him in but I want him to make it.
Went and stopped Nick Daicos when they started getting up and about and then looked set to kick a few but for the poster and goal assist to Breust.
We have been fairly blessed on the injury front, any other year he gets a decent stretch of games.

There was some unfair criticism in the match day thread.

Just finished watching the game and he did extremely well.

In just over one quarter.
7 disposals.
3 goals assists.
5 score involvements.
Should’ve had two goals, but hit the post on one.

He might have a future as a Defensive forward
He did well. Most goal assists on the ground. Watson and Breust had 6 score involvements for the match and Finn did that in over a quarter

We are stacked for hff / medium types at present. Hard for Finn to get a look in.

He did well. Most goal assists on the ground. Watson and Breust had 6 score involvements for the match and Finn did that in over a quarter

We are stacked for hff / medium types at present. Hard for Finn to get a look in.
Swans are gonna do it to us again...

Though it could easily get lost in the performance of others I think last night really showed how much Finn has grown. Used the ball really well and covered the ground well. Was not daunted by the big stage. Played his part, you could see how happy he was to be a part of it after the siren.
He covers so much ground. Genuine end to end player.

Edit: in every tracker 😳

1725661199270.png

1725661228281.png

1725661274036.png

1725661303149.png

1725661330212.png

1725661355707.png

1725661384261.png

1725661410674.png

Last edited:

I said last fortnight against North when watching the highlights you would almost always see Finn in frame.

He doesn't get the ball but he creates chaos and confusion amongst the defenders when he streams through with power and pace. Draws people out and creates space in behind him.

CJ does the same. Doesn't show on the stat sheet but it helps to elevate the players around him.

Very happy for Wiz to give him a goal. Finn deserved it.

I've been relatively harsh on Finn in the past, and I still feel he does have qualities that could come unstuck in finals, but you can't doubt this part of his game. Effort.

Loved that spoil in the last where he was going back with the flight, never took his eyes off it and got it all fist somehow without giving away front on contact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fin really stood up tonight. He is not the most blessed in terms of skill level, but more than makes up for it in endeavour.

He covered 16.9 klms last night, 1.4 klms more than anyone else. He is also the leading player for average speed @ 9.2 klms. (only behind Lorenze who played a qtr). That is insane.

He is a warrior and becoming more and more reliable. Well done Finn

Really good game by Finn. He had to really earn his spot in the 22 this year but it’s made him a better player. He works his guts out, is hard and tough and skills improved. Seemed to be moved all over the park - down back at times, then forward, combined with lots of hard running to create space.

Fin really stood up tonight. He is not the most blessed in terms of skill level, but more than makes up for it in endeavour.

He covered 16.9 klms last night, 1.4 klms more than anyone else. He is also the leading player for average speed @ 9.2 klms. (only behind Lorenze who played a qtr). That is insane.

He is a warrior and becoming more and more reliable. Well done Finn
His running power is insane. At one point in the last he received the ball almost on the full back line, hit a target and worked hard so that by the time the ball go into our forward line he got the ball again and had a shot (it fell short). Everyone else was out on their feet and he was still going end to end.

Yes Finn was instrumental in our comeback in the last quarter and his goal was a culmination of that. Running power is next level compared to all others on ground and it was noticeable he was everywhere. Must hold him.
I remember when he was drafted there was a lot of chat around his super power being his elite tank.
I think an obvious sign that he's going to be in our long term pictures is the fact that he ran the game out almost better than anyone- including Wedds.

Very excited at the prospect of him hoisting the premiership cup with Calsher at some point in the near future!

I've always had Josh Kennedy vibes about Fin especially last year with all the trade talks before his new 2 year deal.

I was relieved that he had 2 years to prove himself that he can be more versatile than just a tagger, he’s grown his game a lot this year at VFL level, has good games playing all over the ground and has some very good goal sense.

He always had all the right tools to make it as a good AFL player, after watching him step up on Friday night as one of our best on the ground while the pressure was on, I now know and can see him be a regular in our best 22 for 2025 and beyond.

A job well done to our coaching and development team, and to Fin Maginness for his hard work and disciplined additute. 👍

We are going to be a real force for any team to deal with next year.

Does he get a new contract? The measure of a player is how well he plays in finals. And Finn has delivered.

Played well both games. Would hate to lose him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back