Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks got Jack as a trade and we, at Bigfooty, had not necessary looked at his draft year analysis.

I think Draft Central was spot-on with their analysis of Jack, and the Pies failed to use his full talents.

The pies got the most out of Jacks fwd pocket IQ and arm-raise/head-high free kicks (40 goals, 19 behinds) as stated he would do by Draft Central, but then gave him away once the arm lift was no longer going to work. They did not use his (as also stated by Draft Central) "admirable work-rate". Sleepy Mark and Co with Sam saw the workrate in him and fostered it.

And the thing the Pies truely did not understand was,"Ginnivan's high footy IQ and goal sense are traits which fans would love to come and watch, and he has that ability to take the game on and create something out of nothing in the forward half."

The Pies took the "cream" of Ginni's arm lift, and then threw him away not knowing the meat and potato's of the player who is a hard working, high IQ, fan favourite.

He worried me early (call it unsavoury pies) but 100% won me over.

Last edited:
The Hawks got Jack as a trade and we, at Bigfooty, had not necessary looked at his draft year analysis.

I think Draft Central was spot-on with their analysis of Jack, and the Pies failed to use his full talents.

The pies got the most out of Jacks fwd pocket IQ and arm-raise/head-high free kicks (40 goals, 19 behinds) as stated he would do by Draft Central, but then gave him away once the arm lift was no longer going to work. They did not use his (as also stated by Draft Central) "admirable work-rate". Sleepy Mark and Co with Sam saw the workrate in him and fostered it.

And the thing the Pies truely did not understand was,"Ginnivan's high footy IQ and goal sense are traits which fans would love to come and watch, and he has that ability to take the game on and create something out of nothing in the forward half."

The Pies took the "cream" of Ginni's arm lift, and then threw him away not knowing the meat and potato's of the player who is a hard working, high IQ, fan favourite.

He worried me early, but 100% won me over.
Can you write one of these for Massimo and how the * fcuked that one up?

Hok-ball ... so what does it mean? Every commentator knows its meaning but cannot say it on air.

I can say that when our boys kick a goal they "spit on that thing." And, like the now semi-rich girl, they do it with joy. 😛
The terms hok and hok ball significantly predates that 'hawk tuah' meme. They're unrelated.

The hype built up nicely during the back half of the year led by the rascals which was enjoyable to watch ……. surely the AFL would like the interest generated so we should get more Friday/Saturday night games as it’s all about entertainment for these guys!

Last edited:
OK... um... so Now I have no idea what it means. Can you enlighten me?
hok = hawk
ball = ball

The significance of that combination comes from Angeball https://theanalyst.com/2023/06/ange-ball-explained-how-postecoglou-could-reinvigorate-tottenham and nothing related to that other meme that went viral in June.

It's hok instead of hawk because that's the social media nickname that got popular. Adelaide have crom for example. Port Adelaide have pear. It's been in use for a few years but only got popularised as a result of hokball getting coined as a way to describe how Sam Mitchell had rebuilt Hawthorn in a similar style to how Ange Postecoglou did with Tottenham. It could have just as easily been called Hawkball or Mitchball.

as a way to describe how Sam Mitchell had rebuilt Hawthorn in a similar style to how Ange Postecoglou did with Tottenham. .

Geez, I missed the bit where Tottenham was rebuilt from being mediocre, full of itself and the most hated club in London into something else that wasn't mediocre, arrogant and hated.

hok = hawk
ball = ball

The significance of that combination comes from Angeball https://theanalyst.com/2023/06/ange-ball-explained-how-postecoglou-could-reinvigorate-tottenham and nothing related to that other meme that went viral in June.

It's hok instead of hawk because that's the social media nickname that got popular. Adelaide have crom for example. Port Adelaide have pear. It's been in use for a few years but only got popularised as a result of hokball getting coined as a way to describe how Sam Mitchell had rebuilt Hawthorn in a similar style to how Ange Postecoglou did with Tottenham. It could have just as easily been called Hawkball or Mitchball.
I kind've attributed Hok ball to the way we would transition the ball out of our backline. Hok ball on steroids was when we played on the MCG which allowed us to Hok it wide or really wide if we were feeling confident. This usually happened with an Amon bomb from a kick out to Jars who would then run it himself of give it off to one of our many runners (ie Weddle).

Now with the upcoming season we'll be seeing a whole new chapter of Hok ball with one having our plethora of gun backmen in Barrass, Sicily, Scrim, Battle or Frost always there to either mark, kill or intercept the ball down to our runners in Weddle, Impey or CJ who'll move it quickly back through the guts and if that option isn't there they'll move it wide to one of our wingmen in Amon or Massimo.

Screenshot 2024-10-27 at 7.54.45 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back