Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar to Dear, I think it's evident to those of us who watch Box Hill closely, we've got one here.
Serong is more ready than Dear for senior footy. The calls for him to play VFL were not based on his talent. I have seen Dear all pre season long and at VFL. I even mentioned that he would surprise a few at VFL level before the season started. His rise to play Afl was on the back of injuries. I look forward to watching him play football be it AFL or VFL. Exciting player who needs time to develop

If battle does comes in does that spell the end of Serong, as don’t the play the same role.

Unless we are bringing in Battle to play forward.

Jai Serong (18 disposals, 11 marks, six intercept possessions)

“Jai was solid as we know, not necessarily a key match-up for him this week but he was still able to float a bit and find the best match-up for him. He played high, played deep and played second tier at times as well. He was also able to get involved with offence and have a real influence on that. It was his second game back from concussion and he gets the week off now. He'll obviously look to build on that and put his hand up for AFL selection post the bye.”

Could just about argue that he's banging the door down in the VFL.

If we land Battle is he worth more in a trade than DGB?
Do we extend him considering he's, at worst, very reliable depth?

Still young enough to develop further at AFL level and I'm sure we and other clubs would be aware of that.

Could just about argue that he's banging the door down in the VFL.

If we land Battle is he worth more in a trade than DGB?
Do we extend him considering he's, at worst, very reliable depth?

Still young enough to develop further at AFL level and I'm sure we and other clubs would be aware of that.

I believe he has another year on his contract

He seems the sort of player that won't get an opportunity with us and then leave come seasons end of very little and play a very solid 200 games elsewhere.

Playing a very good season in VFL. Needs an extended run at AFL to get comfortable bringing his offensive game to that level. Bringing in Mitchell last week instead of him was frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, I thought he was going OK when he was dropped. Did a lot of things right. Sometimes I wonder if we don't already have the Battle and Smith types that the club is chasing already on the list. Just need a tiny bit of patience.
Yeh I thought that he did look a bit pannicky when he got his chance but deserved a couple of more games to see if could adapt to the higher level. Sometimes they just need a decent stint to see if they are up to it. I do recall David Mirra getting a really good run at the highest level which ultimately proved that he just wasn't quite good enough at the highest level. Serong is a lot younger than Mirra was when he got is chance so hopefully has a higher upside

On this note, its hard to believe that Sam Collins was right under our noses at Box Hill and somehow slipped away. I know freo had their chance with Collins as well, but how good would it have been having him play alongside Sicily right now...

I am glad that Serong is contracted for next year. If someone comes for him and he wants more seniors playing time, it will cost someone. He shows a lot of potential and has another year to show his worth.

Honestly, I thought he was going OK when he was dropped. Did a lot of things right. Sometimes I wonder if we don't already have the Battle and Smith types that the club is chasing already on the list. Just need a tiny bit of patience.
He was. And I reckon he is a better player now. Ultra consistent in the VFL. Refining his craft and developing nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back