Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be given a chance soon but it's also hard to displace someone from a team that's consistently winning.
On the other hand he's almost too good for VFL level.
Playing for positions is heating up & Serong is definitely making his claim. Like you said it's hard for him to displace someone from the side given their winning ways but he might get a look in soon, I hope so anyway.
Next season I hopes he continues to develop & plays a bit & wants to stay and be part of what is building. I do fear the West will come for him and the lure will be tempting.
Really liking his trajectory so far

Playing for positions is heating up & Serong is definitely making his claim. Like you said it's hard for him to displace someone from the side given their winning ways but he might get a look in soon, I hope so anyway.
Next season I hopes he continues to develop & plays a bit & wants to stay and be part of what is building. I do fear the West will come for him and the lure will be tempting.
Really liking his trajectory so far

Once again, he is from Gippsland, people so fixated on the West cause of his brother.

I suspect clubs like North, Tigers and Saints to come knocking first

If Serong doesn’t make the All-Australian VFL team of the year I would be surprised.
Damien Barrett says you're doing it wrong...

IF...
Serong doesn’t make the All-Australian VFL team of the year

THEN...
I would be surprised.

The best player at Box Hill.

What do we do with him?

Behind so many now. He probably gets a gig for quite a few AFL teams.
Was thinking the same thing. In any other year he’d be slated for a good run of games in 2025. I think I read somewhere that he was a forward as a junior. Maybe we could use him in a Gunston type role?

Personally think he is just one of those players who are too good for VFL level but lack AFL level attributes to go that next step.

Haven't really been enamoured with any of his performances in the seniors. Seems to be well rounded but lacks any point of difference.

Hope I'm wrong.

Damien Barrett says you're doing it wrong...

IF...

THEN...
I would be surprised.
No Damien Barrett would say

IF...

THEN...
Moths look like flyswatters because motorbikes fly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contemplate if DGB was playing the way Serong was people would be screaming blue murder to get him in the side. Funny how that works.

We didn’t create an opportunity for serong to build continuity in the senior defence, only way he plays if theirs a serious injury

Plenty of clubs will be asking questions, great mover and has enormous scope

Contemplate if DGB was playing the way Serong was people would be screaming blue murder to get him in the side. Funny how that works.

We didn’t create an opportunity for serong to build continuity in the senior defence, only way he plays if theirs a serious injury

Plenty of clubs will be asking questions, great mover and has enormous scope
Would be surprised if WC don't try and include him in the Barrass trade. Less of a flight risk with his brother already in Perth

Last edited:
Personally think he is just one of those players who are too good for VFL level but lack AFL level attributes to go that next step.

Haven't really been enamoured with any of his performances in the seniors. Seems to be well rounded but lacks any point of difference.

Hope I'm wrong.
Jai Serong is currently far too good for VFL.
Need to hold on to him if we can, at 21 years old and 193cm tall with his speed and versatility.
I'm sure he can become another KPD/Forward if given time but would totally understand if he wanted to move on.

I just hope we don't see another Sam Collins scenario.

Second round pick? Maybe more later than earlier in the draft position like a pick in the 28-34 mark? Because I don't think he'll be a hawk next year on. Could be used in a trade sweetener as well I guess.

Second round pick? Maybe more later than earlier in the draft position like a pick in the 28-34 mark? Because I don't think he'll be a hawk next year on. Could be used in a trade sweetener as well I guess.
No one is giving up a second round pick for a player who was pick 53 and as only played nine games. We should have had a proper look at him when Sicily missed three weeks with the shoulder.

No one is giving up a second round pick for a player who was pick 53 and as only played nine games. We should have had a proper look at him when Sicily missed three weeks with the shoulder.
He played 2 of those games

This guy is a gun, we need to find a spot for him.
I don’t want to see Serong traded but I’m pretty sure Brisbane did exactly this for Brandon Ryan. Even offered him a 3 year deal I believe

Lots of people very high on Serong but you've gotta remember that killing it in the VFL is still a ways away from killing it in the AFL. He's played seniors this year and was relatively poor, there's no one you'd currently leave out of the side for him and next year there'd be even less people you'd leave out of the side for him with Barrass and Battle.

The reality for Serong and DGB at the moment is that the club is filling their potential positions externally.

I reckon he's gone, but hope he stays. Had an absolutely outstanding VFL season. He would be doing himself a disservice not to shop himself around. Now is the right time for him to sell (himself) and he deserves a shot at the title. He'll come good with consistent exposure at the level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back