Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

No one is giving up a second round pick for a player who was pick 53 and as only played nine games. We should have had a proper look at him when Sicily missed three weeks with the shoulder.
I’m not sure where he was drafted would have much to do with it anymore.

No one is giving up a second round pick for a player who was pick 53 and as only played nine games. We should have had a proper look at him when Sicily missed three weeks with the shoulder.

Collingwood traded a future second round pick in return for a future third and Sam Murray, who hadn't even debuted at that point.

Serong is worth a pick in the late 30's/early 40's outright IMO. Clearly enough talent to justify it. Otherwise we retain him as great depth.

I would delist or trade DGB and Phillips ahead of Serong. Frost probably only has another year and Sicily another two. Serong just needs a bit of patience.
agree. A few of our key defenders are at the latter stages of their careers. Serong is exactly the right age to step into their shoes over the next few years. He is also the right age for our list profile over the next 10 years.

If we sell him now for a potential late 2nd (at best), we will be looking to trade in a similar 23 yr old player in 2 years' time for a higher pick. Doesn't make sense to me.

I would actually give him a contract extension at end of year to show we value him, TBH.

He hes been the big improver this year.

Sadly, we have just signed 2 very good backmen, so if he wants to play AFL he looks elsewhere.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't have a few contract offers in front of him already tbh.

Jai walks into at least 9 or 10 other AFL teams best 22.

Selfishly I'd like him to stay, but hand on heart - it's best for the kid if he moves on and cements a best 22 spot elsewhere.

He'd be a walkup starter at Richmond, WCE, GCS, North, Crows etc etc

Hard to see him not at least considering a move to get more opportunity, given he’s even further down pecking order with battle and barrass. Could be the steak knives in a barrass trade.

He hes been the big improver this year.

Sadly, we have just signed 2 very good backmen, so if he wants to play AFL he looks elsewhere.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't have a few contract offers in front of him already tbh.

Jai walks into at least 9 or 10 other AFL teams best 22.

Selfishly I'd like him to stay, but hand on heart - it's best for the kid if he moves on and cements a best 22 spot elsewhere.

He'd be a walkup starter at Richmond, WCE, GCS, North, Crows etc etc
What we offer is a realistic prospect of a premiership medallion.

What we offer is a realistic prospect of a premiership medallion.
that's a very good point but depends how patient he is. I guess Schoenmakers is a good example of that. But if he's not playing senior footy next year you'd think there would be a good chance of him exploring opportunities elsewhere 2026

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of people very high on Serong but you've gotta remember that killing it in the VFL is still a ways away from killing it in the AFL. He's played seniors this year and was relatively poor, there's no one you'd currently leave out of the side for him and next year there'd be even less people you'd leave out of the side for him with Barrass and Battle.

The reality for Serong and DGB at the moment is that the club is filling their potential positions externally.
This is true, though unlike DGB, Serong is killing it in the VFL. He is at the very least a very good VFL player. He deserves an opportunity to show whether he can be better than that but it’s hard to see that opportunity for him at Hawthorn with Battle, Barass joining, Blanck returning and McCabe developing. I’d prefer we keep him because he’s at least a very good VFL contributor with scope to improve but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is traded given the imports

Collingwood traded a future second round pick in return for a future third and Sam Murray, who hadn't even debuted at that point.

Serong is worth a pick in the late 30's/early 40's outright IMO. Clearly enough talent to justify it. Otherwise we retain him as great depth.
I reckon Collingwood would regret that trade.
Draft pick is relevant. It is often an indication of the level of natural ability. DGB would not be on out list if he were pick 78.

With Barrass and Battle coming in you can sympathise with Serong for looking elsewhere. It's all well and good to say we have to keep him, but he's already not getting games and now two more senior players will be coming into the club and pushing him down the pecking order.

Saints are rumoured to be interested, and they have just lost their third tall to us.

I like Jai, a lot.
So composed, great user of the pill, always working hard, accumulates a lot of possessions.
I just don’t see him as a KPD, more of a creative flanker. Doesn’t quite have the body of a key position player.
I hope we don’t lose him. He definitely has something.

I wonder whether it's better to trade Frost and keep Serong? Given battle and TB inclusion into the back line?

That is provided their was interest in Frost from other clubs? Plus Frost would probably prefer that given his only got 1 year left and is 31.. so security might be worth something to him!

Lots of people very high on Serong but you've gotta remember that killing it in the VFL is still a ways away from killing it in the AFL. He's played seniors this year and was relatively poor, there's no one you'd currently leave out of the side for him and next year there'd be even less people you'd leave out of the side for him with Barrass and Battle.

The reality for Serong and DGB at the moment is that the club is filling their potential positions externally.

I’d say solid rather than poor

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back