Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to remember he lost a fair chunk of a pre season with his heart condition in '23, which puts him behind in development to others his age.

Given most his size haven't made an big impact by 21 it's definitely early to go with the "unsure he will make it" calls.

Won't be pushed out and can see him forcing himself in next year. Hopefully like all in his boat a preseason working on both back and forward craft to be ready when needed.

If all the backline positions are seen to be filled up, would definitely think it's worth our while to try him up forward again. Remember he was being touted as a potential Gunston replacement for the future.

Serong is too good to lose and I'm sure he will end up being a solid swing player in the mould of Schoenmakers or better. They are valuable players to have in your best 22/3

Showed plenty at Box Hill this year and has been a sometimes emergency during our run of wins. The club would want him to stay. He might be keen on a trade with the defensive tallent coming in, but like some others have said, he could play forward.

Lots of people very high on Serong but you've gotta remember that killing it in the VFL is still a ways away from killing it in the AFL. He's played seniors this year and was relatively poor, there's no one you'd currently leave out of the side for him and next year there'd be even less people you'd leave out of the side for him with Barrass and Battle.

The reality for Serong and DGB at the moment is that the club is filling their potential positions externally.
Dave Mirra and Kyle Cheney smashed it at Box Hill too.

When a player starts busting down the door you find a way to fit them in.

This will be a Kennedy moment.

That doesn't answer the question though. How do we fit him in? Keeping in mind we have two better players in Barrass and Battle due to join the squad, both of which would play in competing roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't answer the question though. How do we fit him in? Keeping in mind we have two better players in Barrass and Battle due to join the squad, both of which would play in competing roles.
He will win the Box Hill B & F, and we couldn’t fit him in this year, so there is not spot in the backline next. He either agrees to have a crack at returning the forward line, or asks for a trade. I reckon he could take Gunston’s role as the smart third tall. Hope he sticks around.

He will win the Box Hill B & F, and we couldn’t fit him in this year, so there is not spot in the backline next. He either agrees to have a crack at returning the forward line, or asks for a trade. I reckon he could take Gunston’s role as the smart third tall. Hope he sticks around.
I think he will be on a list a lot longer than DGB, Skaife, Blank and Phillips.

That's really the only role I could see him coming into the side to play, but that's not the role he has been performing in at VFL level.

Also with Lewis returning next season at some point I believe Dear will be spending more time playing as a third tall. So that would be another player in Serong's way.

That's really the only role I could see him coming into the side to play, but that's not the role he has been performing in at VFL level.

Also with Lewis returning next season at some point I believe Dear will be spending more time playing as a third tall. So that would be another player in Serong's way.
We can’t rely on Lewis. Has played less that half the potential number of games since his debut.

Lots of people very high on Serong but you've gotta remember that killing it in the VFL is still a ways away from killing it in the AFL. He's played seniors this year and was relatively poor, there's no one you'd currently leave out of the side for him and next year there'd be even less people you'd leave out of the side for him with Barrass and Battle.

The reality for Serong and DGB at the moment is that the club is filling their potential positions externally.
For me it has been his improvement this year. Part of that has been his fitness, so I'd like to see a full pre-season. If he continues to improve he could be a force. He's not best 22 yet, so keep him if we can as (1) backup in several positions, (2) if he continues to improve he could well be best 22.

If all the backline positions are seen to be filled up, would definitely think it's worth our while to try him up forward again. Remember he was being touted as a potential Gunston replacement for the future.

Serong is too good to lose and I'm sure he will end up being a solid swing player in the mould of Schoenmakers or better. They are valuable players to have in your best 22/3
His versatility to play forward and back is an advantage and I could see him becoming a third tall in attack. We might be dismissing his chances in defence prematurely though, this year he has developed his game and been able to play on smalls as well as loose in defence. Not sure Barrass is a lock yet either.

Not if he is better, Lewis no certainty, plus forward tall depth the cupboard is pretty bare. Kid deserves a chance he has done everything asked of him really well. i am a fan of his potential and he is contracted. Want him to stay and take that chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back