Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Could there be a way Serong does stay next year and plays instead of frost.

With Serong, Battle, Barrass, Sicily and Scrim
I think it’s very likely, unfortunately for Frosty. He goes back to being plan B

I think it’s very likely, unfortunately for Frosty. He goes back to being plan B
2024 Frosty is way too good to be plan B in my opinion. Injuries occur, places open up, might not be an either or. We'll see.

Either way, I'm happy for Serong to be rewarded for his good form in the VFL. Best of luck, Jai!

I reckon like Ward he'll slot straight in and play a great game that proves he'd have been killing it at AFL level for months if the opportunity had come sooner.
I'm really excited to see what our defence is like with every player able to offer some dash and good kicking.

Frost has been great but I think we all agree he's at his best just as a 1v1 defender who doesn't get the ball too much. Last year Blank played that role and frost ended up doing quite a bit of rebound and frostball and frustrated fans. He had his moments against the dogs too.

I'm really excited to see what our defence is like with every player able to offer some dash and good kicking.

Frost has been great but I think we all agree he's at his best just as a 1v1 defender who doesn't get the ball too much. Last year Blank played that role and frost ended up doing quite a bit of rebound and frostball and frustrated fans. He had his moments against the dogs too.
We actually need an anchor defender every week (which is what Frost has provided).

One of the 6 will need to play that role. Stay close to the opposition goal and aim to prevent them getting us “out the back”.

We actually need an anchor defender every week (which is what Frost has provided).

One of the 6 will need to play that role. Stay close to the opposition goal and aim to prevent them getting us “out the back”.
Weddle could probably play this and loose at the same time, kicks 3 as the anchor defender 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon like Ward he'll slot straight in and play a great game that proves he'd have been killing it at AFL level for months if the opportunity had come sooner.
I hope so but he is being given a big task, he definitely deserves the opportunity with what he has shown at the lower levels. Ultra important that both our midfield and defenders can give him as much support as possible.

This is a great story and fantastic motivation for the Hawthorn listed players slogging it out at Box Hill. G'luck Jai!
This so true!
Well said👍

That's way as I have said many times before good clubs need good depth players in all positions, and good coached teams are the ones that reward hard working players in excellent form in the VFL level, especially when young players like Jai Serong are smashing the door down week after week, it's no surprise to see him finally gets his chance in the seniors.

Jai Serongs selection will be a great inspiration to other young players that have been slogging it out at VFL level wanting to work even harder leading in to pre-season knowing that they are playing for a team where hard work and good form will get rewarded when an opportunity opens up for whatever reason, other omissions or injuries to senior players.

Serong has been in excellent form at VFL level holding down one of the hardest positions to play on the ground as a KPD and doing it extremely well as a 21 year old, as we all know KPD/Forwards don't come on and reach their peak before at least at 24-25 year old!

Unless of course your name is Calsher Dear playing a KP role as an 18-19 year old😉👍

Last edited:
Genuinely insane that a Box Hill team containing Serong, Ward and Maginness was beaten by a standalone VFL side, and now all 3 are playing for Hawthorn in a semi-final where we go in as favourites.

Footy is a funny game.

The boys deserve it though.

Good luck Jai!

If we're worried about Battle and Barrass taking his spot, get Gunston into him, retrain him as a forward and have him and Scaif battle it out for Gunston's role when he retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back