Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not suggesting it’s simply that Geelong would want to recruit him. I’m suggesting he may well want to return to Geelong. There’s a very obvious pattern going on here and when a player stagnates and goes backwards as much as he has, a change of scene is often required.

Think Scrimshaw to us from GC, or Brodie to Fremantle from GC. Both were stale/unsettled at their old club and have flourished since moving.
Based on what evidence?

There is more evidence showing that he wants to stay, and im not going to get drawn into the discussion around Worpel to Geelong, as it is a non story, he wont be going there

Completely different to those players

The left for 1 main reason

Opportunity

Other factors (Homesickness for Scrim) but that was GC to Melbourne not Hawthorn to Geelong

He ain't Leigh Matthews who cares if he wants to go.

Geez stop over rating our players !!

If he was at another club further up the ladder he wouldn't be getting a game on the previous 2 years form.

Geelong Falcons boy through and through.....we know what's happening.

He ain't Leigh Matthews who cares if he wants to go.

Geez stop over rating our players !!

If he was at another club further up the ladder he wouldn't be getting a game on the previous 2 years form.

Geelong Falcons boy through and through.....we know what's happening.
Oh thanks for correcting us

Noone said he was a superstar or anything

Just that he was important and he wont be traded

Again lazy comment, because "hE iS fRoM GeElOng, hE mUsT wAnt tO Go BaCk"

Same with Whitfield being a hawks supporter

Cogs and O'Meara being best mates

Oh thanks for correcting us

Noone said he was a superstar or anything

Just that he was important and he wont be traded

Again lazy comment, because "hE iS fRoM GeElOng, hE mUsT wAnt tO Go BaCk"

Same with Whitfield being a hawks supporter

Cogs and O'Meara being best mates

Literally no club will be offering Worpel anywhere close to what Coniglio and Whitfield were offered to convince them to stay. They are totally different situations (two A grade versatile midfielders).

Geelong have been in his ear since day one. Their players call him.

Hopefully whatever his issues are for his clear regression are sorted out, and he gets back to being a good player again. If that's the case then I hope we lock him away.

But right now he's clearly regressing, so moving him on shouldn't be ruled out.

Both of those examples you give are different to the Worpel scenario because both of those players were not getting games.
Personally I think he shouldn’t be getting a game at the moment. Most would agree with me here. He’s been poor for all but a game or two in the last 2 months.

Personally I think he shouldn’t be getting a game at the moment. Most would agree with me here. He’s been poor for all but a game or two in the last 2 months.
That’s fine, but you’ve compared his situation to two players that were languishing in the reserves, with no faith given to them by the Suns.

Worpel is struggling at senior level, despite having a lot of faith put into him to find his mojo by Sam and the coaches.

I’m not sure that a change of scenery would give him any more opportunity than he currently has to make a spot his own in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, if we can get anlate first rounder for worpel (recent bnf plus being a starting 22 player this season) we take it at this stage.

It's a win given where we recruited him, plus what he's providing

A 1st for Worpel ? Honestly what planet are you on ?

Both of those examples you give are different to the Worpel scenario because both of those players were not getting games.
Yup Worpel is getting plenty of games even though he’s been average the best part of 2 years, so he can’t be leaving because he’s not getting enough game time.
💯 Scotty too hotty would’ve been having private words to his manager

That’s fine, but you’ve compared his situation to two players that were languishing in the reserves, with no faith given to them by the Suns.

Worpel is struggling at senior level, despite having a lot of faith put into him to find his mojo by Sam and the coaches.

I’m not sure that a change of scenery would give him any more opportunity than he currently has to make a spot his own in the midfield.
I’m not suggesting he would leave due to lack of senior opportunity. Moreso a midfield structure where he can play the role he wants to play.

Geelong have a different midfield mix where there isn’t both a JOM and Tom (basically the same size/shape as him and playing the same type of role) as the designated inside midfield “extractor”.

We all agree we don’t need all three in our midfield - we need taller quicker line breakers - yet unless someone is injured or “managed” Sam seems reluctant to send one to BH (Worpel was never dropped he was always going to be the sub the week he played 23rd man).

Neither Tom (29 this month) or Jaeger (28) would have much currency for trade and frankly they’re both performing consistently better than Worpel anyhow.

So ideally one should go, and it could be a win-win scenario. He goes to a club in his local area where he gets greater opportunity WITHIN the team to play the role he wants to play.

Frankly it happens every trading season - players not simply moving for more senior opportunities, but for more midfield opportunities within a senior team.

If he's injured let him heal.
If he's sick send him home.

If neither of the above he needs to go earn his spot. Unless there is some magical structural KPI he is ticking the boxes for that the plebs can't see, I really cannot comprehend how he continues getting games with his performances of late.

I really hope his last quarter doesn't Houdini him out of a stint in the twos which he desperately needs.

There is a gun midfielder there somewhere but he needs to go find him. And we desperately need him to be found too.

Apparently was crook today, but doesn't excuse the season so far. Really hoping he can bring back the Worpedo, but looking hopeless.

Apparently was crook today, but doesn't excuse the season so far. Really hoping he can bring back the Worpedo, but looking hopeless.
Why play him? We have others who can come in. Can’t tell me it helps his or anyone else’s development to have him play today.

Even if he was crook its the fumbles that have come into his game now, it has to be a confidence issue otherwise he just been coached out of playing footy, just put him in box hill until the mid season break and let him get some confidence back. Develop another kid and tell Worpel he needs to demand his way back into the side, feel like we have been far to shy to pull the trigger and some has come from luck. Gone on too long now tho

Seriously one of the worst games I have seen him play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back