Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

i think someone has said it before, but the last time a kid came on the scene and made this kind've impact in his first 10 games was Cyril Rioli, even though they are nothing alike as player, the impact is similar

Don't agree that they're nothing alike

As I posted a few pages back - I reckon there are 2 fundamental similarities -
1 They both keep their feet - don't go to ground
2 They're both clean ball handlers, they don't fumble

Best 2 examples of that, of course, for the Worpedo, are his contest against Hooker (who went to ground) and his attack on the ball and pivot around Selwood.

That's EXACTLY what Cyril would have done in both situations.

Last edited:
Best trade/Draft years since 2004 are 2016/2017

2016 - We pick up Mitchell,Jaeger, Morrison and Lewis showing a bit as a key forward.

2017- Worpel with our first pick after we gave saints our true first pick.

Best trade/Draft years since 2004 are 2016/2017

2016 - We pick up Mitchell,Jaeger, Morrison and Lewis showing a bit as a key forward.

2017- Worpel with our first pick after we gave saints our true first pick.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, watch this space re Dylan Moore. Hartung replacement minus the leg speed but as big a tank and puts his head over the ball. Kid is a natural footballer who knows where the goals are. Passes the Hawthorn “character” test in spades and has his head screwed on.

Just need to be patient, needs a couple of good years in gym

i think someone has said it before, but the last time a kid came on the scene and made this kind've impact in his first 10 games was Cyril Rioli, even though they are nothing alike as player, the impact is similar..... before that i thought Sam Mitchell was also a youngster that had a huge impact in his first 10 games, i used to watch Sam Mitchell before he was a Hawthorn player and i loved his aggression at the contest so much i was furious with Peter Schwab for playing him for only 1 quarter in his first 2-3 games, then he got his chance and was labelled "the extractor", so "the extractor", "cyril" or "delicious" and "worpedo", good company to keep, if his career is anything like theirs he'd be happy.
If I recall correctly, commentators labeled buddy, ‘lance Franklin super star’ in his second game. Made a bit of an impact also ;)

Said it before and I’ll say it again, watch this space re Dylan Moore. Hartung replacement minus the leg speed but as big a tank and puts his head over the ball. Kid is a natural footballer who knows where the goals are. Passes the Hawthorn “character” test in spades and has his head screwed on.

I hope you are right.

Shifter was genuinely shocked how far he slipped in the draft, always a bit more hopeful when someone that makes the All Australian team slips deep into the draft.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/5089810fa3221ef4b6a757cdda0cdbb9

Yeah shit I forgot about him. I think he had similar wraps as Worpel did as someone who really slid down the draft?

Is it a 2 year proposition or can we expect to see him get a few games next year?

Agreed. Huge fan too. The way the game is heading, his value increases... this below from his draft year.

“The appeal for Moorey, and his point of difference, is that he’s everything you need and more for a small. He’s an elite endurance runner, his repeat speed is exceptional — he’s already running AFL-like numbers now on his GPS stuff — his workrate is enormous, he’s super competitive, he’s very clean, his hands are elite inside the contest, he kicks the ball very well and he just keeps turning up — and you can’t ignore that."

Agreed. Huge fan too. The way the game is heading, his value increases... this below from his draft year.

“The appeal for Moorey, and his point of difference, is that he’s everything you need and more for a small. He’s an elite endurance runner, his repeat speed is exceptional — he’s already running AFL-like numbers now on his GPS stuff — his workrate is enormous, he’s super competitive, he’s very clean, his hands are elite inside the contest, he kicks the ball very well and he just keeps turning up — and you can’t ignore that."

Who's quote is that, out of interest?

Hard to tell. He didn’t do weights last year, just concentrated on school, tac footy and his running. Missed a huge chunk of this year with a pretty bad shoulder injury. Might get a couple games next year but I think 2020 is more realistic. Tera Miles is a good comparison, has taken him a good three and half seasons to finally get comfortable at afl level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shifter was genuinely shocked how far he slipped in the draft, always a bit more hopeful when someone that makes the All Australian team slips deep into the draft.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/5089810fa3221ef4b6a757cdda0cdbb9

I really dislike when kids are labelled too small. If they have the skills required and aren't personally concerned about their stature, meaning they will go when it's their time to go, then that's good enough for me.
I'd actually rather a kid who is smaller than average to a giant 18 year old; solely due to the big guys finding it harder to stay physically sound for long periods, and with the pace of footy increasing, you can't afford to have giant kids getting left behind.

Hopefully Dylan gets his opportunity in the coming year or two

So what stops him being a high draft pick? Merely his size?

Who's quote is that, out of interest?
Mrs. Moore:p

I really dislike when kids are labelled too small. If they have the skills required and aren't personally concerned about their stature, meaning they will go when it's their time to go, then that's good enough for me.
I'd actually rather a kid who is smaller than average to a giant 18 year old; solely due to the big guys finding it harder to stay physically sound for long periods, and with the pace of footy increasing, you can't afford to have giant kids getting left behind.

Hopefully Dylan gets his opportunity in the coming year or two
Labelling a player too small should be read in the context of the position/s that player will play at afl level. There are very few very good centre square mids that are shorter than 180cm and generally speaking they are very strong bodied and or very quick/quick off the mark. Moore did play a bit in the centre at tac level from memory but he doesn’t look equiped to play that role at afl level. He isn’t likely to be another lachie Neal.

Players of his height do find roles as small forwards but Moore isn’t well suited to that role either as he lacks the acceleration and raw speed plus tackling prowess for that role at afl level and he isn’t going to be able to compete first for long high balls like poppy can.

His physical attributes do align well with the wing but even then ideally he would be taller so he could compete better but his running power and skills should enable him to succeed in this role.

So if I’m a recruiter I’d say Moore is LIKELY limited in the roles he can play due primarily to his size and associated skill set. He also put out afl standard numbers for his strong athletic attributes so there is a question mark over his ability to improve himself further.

Above is sinply a statement about the downside risks of selecting Moore which are potentially less for a player who is 10cm taller but otherwise equal. Moore may well be able to succeed at all of those positions but they come with greater risk/uncertainty which is why he slid.

Labelling a player too small should be read in the context of the position/s that player will play at afl level. There are very few very good centre square mids that are shorter than 180cm and generally speaking they are very strong bodied and or very quick/quick off the mark. Moore did play a bit in the centre at tac level from memory but he doesn’t look equiped to play that role at afl level. He isn’t likely to be another lachie Neal.

Players of his height do find roles as small forwards but Moore isn’t well suited to that role either as he lacks the acceleration and raw speed plus tackling prowess for that role at afl level and he isn’t going to be able to compete first for long high balls like poppy can.

His physical attributes do align well with the wing but even then ideally he would be taller so he could compete better but his running power and skills should enable him to succeed in this role.

So if I’m a recruiter I’d say Moore is LIKELY limited in the roles he can play due primarily to his size and associated skill set. He also put out afl standard numbers for his strong athletic attributes so there is a question mark over his ability to improve himself further.

Above is sinply a statement about the downside risks of selecting Moore which are potentially less for a player who is 10cm taller but otherwise equal. Moore may well be able to succeed at all of those positions but they come with greater risk/uncertainty which is why he slid.

Oh yeah completely understand and agree with everything you've put there; no doubt a lack/ excess of height or weight is going to hinder a player in certain positions. All drafted players have a risk on them, simply because the step up to senior AFL football is so massive

It was more directed at those who write off a player due to a restricted size, but don't take into account the certain players technical and mental abilities at all

I will always prefer a player who may be 'too small' but has great skills and a great attitude, than a taller/heavier kid who doesn't have the same amount of technical skill and/or a shitty attitude. And I guess in the end, if we can keep snagging great types with lower picks, I'll be a very happy man

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back