News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think with Patton joining, it really could prove to be a game changer for Paul Puopolo and Oliver Hanrahan. For all of Roughie's strengths he never was never a monster like Patton. So for the first time in a long time these two boys (with Bruest) are gonna have some fun getting front and centre of General Patton and Mitch Lewis. I know Poppy had a poor 2019, but he hasn't lost his pace and so with these two monsters in the forward line I think there is a real potential to give Poppy in particular a new lease of life. His forward line defensive pressure didn't drop off - just his scoring and score involvements. I reckon this even helps Gunston to an extent as many of his scoring efforts come from 1/2 chances and dirty ball.

I think it might be a better year for scoring in 2020 Hawk Fans - with the proviso Patton stays on the park.

That said i really think poor old Schoey is done and dusted.

Edit: It's no wonder that Poppy (known as the tightest man at Hawthorn) was shouting The General a coffee at the airport.

1571109707909.png

Last edited:
I think with Patton joining, it really could prove to be a game changer for Paul Puopolo and Oliver Hanrahan. For all of Roughie's strengths he never was never a monster like Patton. So for the first time in a long time these two boys (with Bruest) are gonna have some fun getting front and centre of General Patton and Mitch Lewis. I know Poppy had a poor 2019, but he hasn't lost his pace and so with these two monsters in the forward line I think there is a real potential to give Poppy in particular a new lease of life. His forward line defensive pressure didn't drop off - just his scoring and score involvements. I reckon this even helps Gunston to an extent as many of his scoring efforts come from 1/2 chances and dirty ball.

I think it might be a better year for scoring in 2020 Hawk Fans - with the proviso Patton stays on the park.

That said i really think poor old Schoey is done and dusted.
Doubt there will be many crumbs. Patton and Lewis will clunk EVERYTHING.

Good result for player and both clubs. Although this looks like a steal it is a win/win because GWS achieves its goal of clearing space for the salary cap which they did successfully last year too. That way they get to hang on to their tier 1 players like Coniglio and (most likely) Whitfield. They certainly have tightened their strategy after losing some good players a few years ago by being more flexible (realistic) and a bit bolder. Something the folks at Tullamarine can learn from.

Patton is going to straighten the team up quite a bit given we have struggled with F50 entries and converting for the past couple of years. Missing out on Coniglio isn't as bad as it may have seemed now and we go into the draft with a pretty strong hand......unless, of course, Wright and Clarkson pull out another Wingard deal on the wire. Who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The winner is...

408909_lp.jpg

Returning 2020. :D

So, I will put my hand up and say I am not confident in this trade. While the price is fine, Big Jon will need to have plenty of luck to have any sort of longevity in the Brown and Gold. History is against the big fella but I wish him the absolute best.
It will be awesome to have another gorilla in our forward half.

I wonder if we will play him closer to goal so that he just plays that leading forward role. More running in straight lines than anything else.
Does anyone think there will be a strategy to help protect his knees?

I wonder if we will play him closer to goal so that he just plays that leading forward role. More running in straight lines than anything else.
That's exactly what we should do (& will, IMO).

Play him out of the Goal Square, with Mitch Lewis playing from 40m out as the true CHF.

Doubt there will be many crumbs. Patton and Lewis will clunk EVERYTHING.
Not the thread for it but I'd say that's the plan, plus TOB can mark as well. Lets see bitchmonds flood chaos crap win if the ball is in the air more then on the ground.

Control the air you control the game. Simple. The more things change the more they stay the same. Marking power both ends of the ground. Problem is a lot of other sides have this as well.

So, I will put my hand up and say I am not confident in this trade. While the price is fine, Big Jon will need to have plenty of luck to have any sort of longevity in the Brown and Gold. History is against the big fella but I wish him the absolute best.
It will be awesome to have another gorilla in our forward half.

Hopefully the club medicos will help strengthen his knees and losing weight puts less stress on them. Reported he has already lost 9kg.

Great get by Wrighty and the boys.
Massive potential upside for minimal risk, i like it.
It could be like the 80s all over again with Derm and Bungie as the bookends with the Fly Morriss and Peter Curran stalking the flanks.
Ok maybe that's reaching a little...
Welcome General!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back