News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. 3 knees...

Maybe the thinking is, if he can stay on the park and take the best defender and allow others to develop. A free hit with a 4th round selection. So far, no good. However, the guy is on the list now and has the chance to prove himself. Hopefully he can walk the walk...

Being able to take the best defender is no longer enough. The best defenders like Andrews will run off you if the ball hits the deck and he gains possession. Even Lewis struggled with this aspect of the game last year but fortunately has the athleticism to address this and become more proficient in his defensive capabilities

I do love when people foam at the mouth about players at other clubs taking rec drugs all the while thinking that our club has nothing nothing but virtuous straight edgers on the list.
Does anyone honestly think that? I've spent enough time with players to know that a certain portion from every club smashes them. It's just a part of society.

Does anyone honestly think that? I've spent enough time with players to know that a certain portion from every club smashes them. It's just a part of society.
Yep
As is Patton's current behavior

No one should be surprised that it happens at clubs given it happens everywhere else

I think there’s the occasional person who does seem to think that our club is above such nefarious behaviour. Then there are those who seem to think recruiting Patton is some critically damaging failing. As always the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Is it too much to ask that the club should be accountable for bringing in a deadset creep to the organisation?

He (Patton) is long passed the boys will be boys argument (to many pills / party sex rebuttle that all players do ) he has gone far off the deep end and for the first time is being held accountable for being a creep, so serves him right... Pattons behavior is far removed from the norm its filth

I feel some still don't see at as an issue or maybe just not seen the messages and antics, this isn't a kid just picked up at the hawks, its a run down 27 year old who has never grown up recruited to the Hawks under the false hood of good character. I assume that because there is no way in right mind we would of picked him up if we did not assume he had good character.

Is it too much to ask that the club should be accountable for bringing in a deadset creep to the organisation?

He (Patton) is long passed the boys will be boys argument (to many pills / party sex rebuttle that all players do ) he has gone far off the deep end and for the first time is being held accountable for being a creep, so serves him right... Pattons behavior is far removed from the norm its filth

I feel some still don't see at as an issue or maybe just not seen the messages and antics, this isn't a kid just picked up at the hawks, its a run down 27 year old who has never grown up recruited to the Hawks under the false hood of good character. I assume that because there is no way in right mind we would of picked him up if we did not assume he had good character.

Or maybe some people can find Patton's behaviour disgusting and a sackable offence (which I have said it should be), but also find that he is far, far more responsible for his reprehensible behaviour than the recruiters are. If we keep him on the list and he reoffends - the club is absolutely more responsible. Being that he had a reputation only for being prolific with the ladies, not so much crossing the line into sexual assault, the club doesn't really have much blame to take on as people have been pointing out - footy players are young, cashed up, in the public eye and attract a lot of attention from willing partners. It's not uncommon for players to have a lot of notches in their bedposts and shouldn't be judged harshly as a result.

People aren't using a 'boys will be boys' argument over what Patton has been found to be doing - people are bringing that up because others have argued that because Patton was joking around about having a lot of sex in a club video that we should have throw holy water at him when he joined the club. Promiscuity =/= being a sexual deviant - that is what people are trying to get across. Some footy players like to party and expecting clubs to be responsible for every interaction players have outside the four walls of the club is an unreasonable expectation.

JP is soley responsible, but it doesn't mean the people around him and the club should not be held to some level of accountability.

I find it hard to believe at the elite level of sport that mistakes with recruiting, player management, leadership can't be reviewed and a level of accountability put in place.

JP is soley responsible, but it doesn't mean the people around him and the club should not be held to some level of accountability.

I find it hard to believe at the elite level of sport that mistakes with recruiting, player management, leadership can't be reviewed and a level of accountability put in place.

Clubs can educate players until the cows come home - people know right from wrong and what is acceptable and unacceptable. Some people are always going to deviate from expectations. There is only so much clubs can do to prevent this. Just like my employer can't control what I do on my personal phone - nor can HFC control what players get up to on their phones.

Case in point - my employer sacked a high level executive last year for doing exactly what Patton has done. Every corporate organisation has multiple points where staff are informed of what expectations are for employees. Didn't stop this bloke from thinking sending a happy snap of his dick to a colleague was a good idea. Humans are chronically stupid - risks on that front are really unavoidable.

Yep
As is Patton's current behavior

No one should be surprised that it happens at clubs given it happens everywhere else
We have to be careful saying things are “part of society” in the sense of suggesting an inevitability for people doing it (I’m pretty sure you weren’t suggesting this).

I sure as shit don’t want my boys to grow up to do misogynistic crap and my wife and I are trying to instil a positive and respectful view of women in them. Hopefully it pays off and they don’t end up being ****heads

Clubs can educate players until the cows come home - people know right from wrong and what is acceptable and unacceptable. Some people are always going to deviate from expectations. There is only so much clubs can do to prevent this. Just like my employer can't control what I do on my personal phone - nor can HFC control what players get up to on their phones.

Case in point - my employer sacked a high level executive last year for doing exactly what Patton has done. Every corporate organisation has multiple points where staff are informed of what expectations are for employees. Didn't stop this bloke from thinking sending a happy snap of his dick to a colleague was a good idea. Humans are chronically stupid - risks on that front are really unavoidable.
Hey Ned - see my Fugazi reference earlier in the thread? 😀

We have to be careful saying things are “part of society” in the sense of suggesting an inevitability for people doing it (I’m pretty sure you weren’t suggesting this).

I sure as sh*t don’t want my boys to grow up to do misogynistic crap and my wife and I are trying to instil a positive and respectful view of women in them. Hopefully it pays off and they don’t end up being fu**heads
I'm saying its currently wide spread throughout our community and footy clubs aren't immune.

My experience with cricket and footy clubs is they are often worse than the average for this sort of thing, so the only thing I see as inevitable is that this won't be the last time a footy player is caught out acting like this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You haven’t demonstrated the recruiters were wholly aware or should have been wholly aware of the Jon’s issues. So it is hard for anyone to want to hang out recruitment staff when you haven’t demonstrated a clear failure on their part.

I'm saying its currently wide spread throughout our community and footy clubs aren't immune.

My experience with cricket and footy clubs is they are often worse than the average for this sort of thing, so the only thing I see as inevitable is that this won't be the last time a footy player is caught out acting like this
Not sure anyone else has ever had this claim made against them. While bad behaviour in the same branch of misdeeds is probably common, I don’t think the scale is quite the same. So maybe someone in future does it again and gets outed but you would think if it was a common thing in the AFL now you would get more women out coming forward with examples. I think someone outing Patton was inevitable given the scale of his activities.

Not sure anyone else has ever had this claim made against them. While bad behaviour in the same branch of misdeeds is probably common, I don’t think the scale is quite the same. So maybe someone in future does it again and gets outed but you would think if it was a common thing in the AFL now you would get more women out coming forward with examples. I think someone outing Patton was inevitable given the scale of his activities.
I'm not talking specific claims but he'd not be the only AFL player to have sent unsolicited dick picks or been pushing in DMs

Swanny and Cloke got done for pics a few years ago

Dal and Roo from Saints had some nice stuff surface back in the Toot Toot saga

this isn't new behavior it's just gone pretty public

We should probably sack Graham Wright, I reckon.

No, because that's a false equivalency.

Taylor plead guilty to an assault charge, Swans then sacked him after initially standing him down.

Patton has been stood down, to date, and it's unknown if he will face charges and subsequently plead guilty. Unless he does, I think we'll stand by him.
Charges 🙄
If a poster posts a naked image on this site do you call the cops?

Charges 🙄
It’s not 1980 anymore Willy, there’s this thing called “Using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence”, and yes, people who feel like they’ve been harassed or sent offensive or threatening material can press charges. 🙄

I get all that and would happen 100's of time at a lot of places, GWS included. But, I only care about the hawks and maybe my standards here are too high, but my opinion is there not... and at minimum should be a review based on the amount of information that has come out in how we let this slip past to the keeper.

One bad egg turns into two, then three, then you have a disruption in culture / performance both on field and off.

We are in the fortunate position of this being a nothing pick, with minimal value and currently, zero output, if that was someone else we bring in we waste cap spend but also, more importantly, the time cost of getting a best 22 prepared for finals. Repeated small mistakes in drafting have an enormous impact on output.

Might be to optimistic but for those who know this issue goes back a long way and Jon will get treatment he needs. As a footy club we are now forced to immediately play Lewis, Jeka and any other possibilities. Sooner we play a game the sooner a new chapter begins.
Please provide evidence that this was 'widely known within the AFL community' - and please ensure this evidence isn't a reddit post/bigfooty post that has been posted in the last 4 or so weeks. I don't recall it ever being mentioned when we were recruiting him - again all I can vaguely recall is arguments about his body holding up not his phone antics.
You serious reddit or big footy? Spare me. I’ll get the players, specifically Hawthorn who discussed it at the time in my presence to post on the board. Back soon🤔

It’s not 1980 anymore Willy, there’s this thing called “Using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence”, and yes, people who feel like they’ve been harassed or sent offensive or threatening material can press charges. 🙄
You didn't answer my question.
Ill take it that rather than wasting police time you simply click 'delete image' then 'permaban user' and get on with your day.

I would suggest that in Pattons situation those that saved the images for years then distributed them to others/spread them all over social media would have far more of a case to answer.
The 'revenge pr0n' aspect of this has been severely overlooked.

Any reasonable person who truly felt harassed or offended would go directly to the authorities rather than sharing round screenshots to get their five minutes of online fame.

Charges 🙄

If somebody flashed their dick at you on the street then they could absolutely be arrested and charged with an offence. Not sure why you think it’s any different doing it to someone over a digital channel. As pointed out already, it is an offence.

You didn't answer my question.
Ill take it that rather than wasting police time you simply click 'delete image' then 'permaban user' and get on with your day.

I would suggest that in Pattons situation those that saved the images for years then distributed them to others/spread them all over social media would have far more of a case to answer.
The 'revenge pr0n' aspect of this has been severely overlooked.

Any reasonable person who truly felt harassed or offended would go directly to the authorities rather than sharing round screenshots to get their five minutes of online fame.
There is a court case on right now in which an 18 year old women was r*ped by an Uber driver. She didn’t report it. The police found her licence in his glove box two years after and tracked her down and it all came out then. I’m not going to get drawn into your discussion with SYL but your suggestion that if a person feels truly harassed they will report it is manifestly wrong and completely contradictory with what usually happens even where physical sexual assault has occurred. The women reporting Jon now have been attacked for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back