News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, I’d suggest you read through some of the threads on this site. Plenty of people are dismissing Patton’s actions as being relatively harmless.

It’s a sex crime FFS, let’s call it for what it is. To the point that he avoids self harm I care absolutely zero about what happens to Patton after that.

He knew exactly what he was doing. The fact that he feels shame and looks like a predator in front of his friends and family is entirely on him.

And again - all of us arguing with you the past few pages agree that his actions are appalling but simply don’t want the consequence of that to be self-harm. None of us are ‘Team Patton’.

You can call it a “pass” but I’d think it’s more likely that the moment you become aware that somebody has been admitted to hospital you should start to question if that person taking their life is the appropriate penalty for sending some offensive and inappropriate messages.

I don’t think it is.

See, this is where this dismissiveness has annoyed a few of us.

Nobody wants him to hurt himself but lets not downplay this as “some offensive and inappropriate messages.”

That is in itself offensive but I am hoping unintended.

And again - all of us arguing with you the past few pages agree that his actions are appalling but simply don’t want the consequence of that to be self-harm. None of us are ‘Team Patton’.

And I have been at pains to say the same but now we have at least one person completely downplaying the seriousness of what Patton has done.

That is what riles me.

In this post you seem to try and suggest you are really balanced in your opinion Ned. And all us 'folk' are narrow minded. But really, you are just the same with that dude. It's likely we are all misinterpreting each other here.

Once a person takes responsibility for their actions, and the outcome to the actions is known, people can start to empathise and sympathise easier. At present, Patton isn't in a space to to this, sadly. It means there is no outcome for his actions, and we don't know if he is truly sorry for the victims, or just himself.

So his reputation in tatters and loss of his employment isn’t an outcome? Fascinating. Not sure that why you think there can’t be degrees of empathy and sympathy either. I have zero remorse that his career in footy is likely over. I do have concern if he is in a state where he may harm himself. Having concern for his welfare doesn’t mean my opinions on his misdeeds are watered down.

Just looked it up for more clarity. The rules were changed 5 years ago for any sexual act regardless of which way it was conducted either via sms email etc. It was changed to protect people and kids from pedophiles and online stalkers.

If it's true he showed his junk to some without consent and did it multiple times, it will be classified as a stalking sex act. It's pretty serious, reason the AFL has taken over. If the sexcrimes people can show a long standing behavior of him doing it he has more to worry about then just footy

If it was serious the AFL should back away and the police should take over.

If the AFL are running it then that is proof that it is not serious.

If it was serious the AFL should back away and the police should take over.

If the AFL are running it then that is proof that it is not serious.

If the victims haven’t involved the police then it’s not that simple. Is an unreported rape not serious just because the police aren’t yet involved? Didn’t think so.

So his reputation in tatters and loss of his employment isn’t an outcome? Fascinating. Not sure that why you think there can’t be degrees of empathy and sympathy either. I have zero remorse that his career in footy is likely over. I do have concern if he is in a state where he may harm himself. Having concern for his welfare doesn’t mean my opinions on his misdeeds are watered down.

As pointed out above and more succinctly, empathy is difficult when the subject has shown no remorse.

He’s not a shoplifter. He’s a sex pest. Personally that is something I take into account when I am dishing out empathy.

And I have been at pains to say the same but now we have at least one person completely downplaying the seriousness of what Patton has done.

That is what riles me.

If you’re referring to SYL then you’re way off and haven’t been following the thread closely the past few weeks.

I view the outcome being the AFL investigation. Which it seems we will not have until John is in a position to engage in that.

If you’re referring to SYL then you’re way off and haven’t been following the thread closely the past few weeks.

I am going off exactly what was typed in the post I quoted. I also said that I hoped that soft language was unintended. But I can tell you it is rife in the community and rife in some of the other threads on Patton.

I am going off exactly what was typed in the post I quoted. I also said that I hoped that soft language was unintended. But I can tell you it is rife in the community and rife in some of the other threads on Patton.

Don’t doubt that and I’d agree that those opinions are frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should the AFL investigate unreported rapes ?

Didnt think so.

However the AFL investigate plenty of issues that could involve criminality but the police don’t get involved. Recreational drug possession is a criminal issue but the AFL will handle that in-house if need be.

However the AFL investigate plenty of issues that could involve criminality but the police don’t get involved. Recreational drug possession is a criminal issue but the AFL will handle that in-house if need be.

So now the seriousness of his crime is on par with recreational drug use?

These goal posts sure do move a lot.

So now the seriousness of his crime is on par with recreational drug use?

These goal posts sure do move a lot.

See above my rant about nuance. If you don’t want your simplistic viewpoints argued with then just refrain from posting.

I am not going to give an opinion either way on Jonogate.

However, as I trawl through the endless ping-pong of this discussion, I wonder how the
tune would change if he were a super-fit 80-goal-a-year FF in his prime ?

Instead of a probably-not-going-to-get(last)-a-game-anyway player.

I hope all parties have the strength to move on and not have this define/ruin their lives.

I also hope there is a positive out of this and the next stupid young man that thinks what he is doing is harmless will think twice, and realize the impact his actions can have on so many.

Last edited:
One minute the guy is an AFL player , next minute this disgusting behaviour becomes public.
Public means friends and family , parents , grandparents and the like.
You would have to be made of incredible stuff for that not to have any impact at all to you.

I hope he gets the help he needs from a health prespective and gets better.
I hope he gets the help he needs for this behaviour issue he has .

I also will be happy for him not to return to the club in any capacity.

See, this is where this dismissiveness has annoyed a few of us.

Nobody wants him to hurt himself but lets not downplay this as “some offensive and inappropriate messages.”

That is in itself offensive but I am hoping unintended.
It’s not dismissive, nor is it downplaying.
It’s sexual harassment if you like, as I have previously called it in this thread, but despite the fact that I haven’t used that term in every post, he sent inappropriate and offensive messages. We’re saying the same thing.

That is what riles me.
This is bullshit.

I literally posted last week that he may have charges to answer.

This is bullshit.

I literally posted last week that he may have charges to answer.

Fair enough, I didn’t trawl through dozens of pages. I responded based on that one post, hence the disclaimer.

Equally, I felt my position on Patton’s wellbeing has been misrepresented.

I can be both lacking in empathy for him (and I am) whilst not wishing harm to the man.

Such an emotional topic, isn't it?

Any astute person would await for all the information to come to light before sharing a committed opinion.

Clarko said it well today, "you live and die by the sword". He knows Jon fairly well, like the club do, and Jon's still human at the end of the day. If the findings happen to prove Patton's guilt then the necessary actions will take place.

My point, if I had one is; be careful what you say and how you say it - as casual observers with no more evidence than media print and heresay evidence from an internet forum, we just have to be patient to fling our shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back