News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly has a problem but this playing of the mental health card every time shitty behaviour is uncovered has got to stop.

People need to be accountable for their own actions and this grub knew exactly what he was doing.

I hope he sorts himself out but more importantly, I hope he stops harassing women. I do not want to see the guy in a Hawthorn jumper again.

Mate if your career imploded in public fashion such as this - most people would be in need of mental health help. I’m aghast at what he did but I can absolutely see how the repercussions would put someone in a very dark place. When there you can hurt yourself - and possibly others. Don’t begrudge or belittle him seeking help.

I am not making that assumption mate but it does tend to provide a pretty convenient excuse in a lot of cases.

I would at least hope he has offered some form of apology to those who he has wronged.
You clearly are making assumptions just trying to avoid getting called on it.

For sending through completely inappropriate pics? What else happened?

As another poster was kind enough to point out, what he did could potentially lead to charges. Not suggesting it will but it has that gravity in this day and age - wasn’t remotely a trivial matter.

Reading the recent posting in this thread is suggesting the narrative should be Patton as a victim.

It's sad what has happened to him, and let's all hope he get's well. But demanding people are empathetic towards him is a bit rich. The sooner this is resolved the better. It was awkward listening to Clarko try and talk about it this morning.

Reading the recent posting in this thread is suggesting the narrative should be Patton as a victim.
Complete ****ing rubbish. No-one is doing that.

Just ****ing rubbish.

Only a simpleton divides everyone into victims and perpetrators.

At various times, we have all ****ed up with others. Some moreso than others, but everyone has.

If you haven't, I'm happy for you. Cast the first stone to your heart's content.

There are two different things here.

One are his actions, and, yes, he needs to be, and will be fully accountable for them.

The second is the public scrutiny that has developed as a result of his actions.

Anyone following this knows this is NOT a case of someone 'playing the mental health card' to avoid consequences.
This is someone who has begun to face the consequences, one of which is having the entire world, includingparents, family and friends, aware of his actions.

It's like saying, he ****ed up... but... it's sad what he is going through.

To which I agree, but again, that's really not the predominate issue at play here.

Mate if your career imploded in public fashion such as this - most people would be in need of mental health help. I’m aghast at what he did but I can absolutely see how the repercussions would put someone in a very dark place. When there you can hurt yourself - and possibly others. Don’t begrudge or belittle him seeking help.

I can accept that and if he needs help he should get it.

He also needs to take responsibility for his actions but I am seeing a lot of “poor Jon” sentiment that is well overblown. And more sickeningly, a lot of excuses and reasons given for his absolutely disgusting behaviour.

It's like saying, he f’ed up... but... it's sad what he is going through.

To which I agree, but again, that's really not the predominate issue at play here.
No, it isn't the predominate issue.

But acknowledging that it is a shit situation for everyone concerned...including Patton.

Apologies for my angry response earler, but I think one can express concern for where Patton is at now, while still acknowledging he brought it upon himself. I don't think anyone is trying to make the case that Patton is the real 'victim' here.

No, it isn't the predominate issue.

But acknowledging that it is a sh*t situation for everyone concerned...including Patton.

Apologies for my angry response earler, but I think one can express concern for where Patton is at now, while still acknowledging he brought it upon himself. I don't think anyone is trying to make the case that Patton is the real 'victim' here.

All good mate, and I see your point also. The sooner this is completed by the AFL the better for all parties, including fans.

Clearly has a problem but this playing of the mental health card every time shitty behaviour is uncovered has got to stop.

People need to be accountable for their own actions and this grub knew exactly what he was doing.

I hope he sorts himself out but more importantly, I hope he stops harassing women. I do not want to see the guy in a Hawthorn jumper again.
If someone self harms as a result of their guilt and shame, should we just ignore that?

When Clarko was asked if Patton was training the paused and subsequent surprise in his voice tells you his papers are stamped.

He has wasted his opportunity and has no one to blame except himself.

Get the help u need Johnny P...life is taking you down a new path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, thankfully, we are not the arbiters of how much breathing space Patton 'deserves'

Fine mate.

I trust his victims agree.

I’m not looking for an argument but in this case Jon Patton’s mental situation runs a distant second to those he has wronged.

He can and should get help. He is not entitled to sympathy. How much empathy he gets is a personal choice.

And more sickeningly, a lot of excuses and reasons given for his absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Not one poster has been posting this - let alone ‘a lot’ of posters. Not wanting a guy to kill himself over this is not excusing his behaviour, justifying his behaviour or feeling sympathy for the guy. Can you take a step back and realise this is potentially a nuanced issue. If your mate had done something like this would you want society to pile on to breaking point or would you want them to better themselves and if they were at risk of self harm to have the help they need? Don’t give me the ‘I wouldn’t be mates with...’ line either - you never know what people are doing behind the privacy of a screen.

**** me i regret coming back to this thread...

People can care about his wellbeing without excusing his actions

People can care about his wellbeing without thinking he should avoid punishment for his actions.

People can care about his wellbeing without looking at him as 'a victim'.

Jesus some folk here are so bloody binary. Did you realise that humanity and existence is so complex so as to disagree with someone’s actions but not want them to suicide because of those actions? That I can equally want someone to cop responsibility for their actions but also not want that punishment to destroy their entire life. That someone might have been a shit bloke but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have family who would be grief-stricken if he was to take his own life. Just step back and remember not everything is so bloody black and white sometimes.

All good mate, and I see your point also. The sooner this is completed by the AFL the better for all parties, including fans.

What have the fans got to do with this?

A moron has posted/committed lewd acts over the phone/social dating sites.

The victims would like it to end.

Said moron is in a dark place and I hope he gets the help he needs along with the victims if they are traumatised in any way.

The only people this effects are those directly involved and their family and friends, and they, yes, I agree need this over from an AFL and/or police investigation point of view.

The consequences from a footballing perspective pale into insignificance so from a personal perspective this could drag on for 10 years or 10 minutes and it really doesn’t have any bearing on my emotional, mental or physical well-being.

Robbo

If true, and the anecdotal evidence seems overwhelming, Patton surely has forsaken his right to represent Hawthorn at the code.

His behaviour, if true, is outrageous.

as he stands by Hird and the Bombers

What have the fans got to do with this?

A moron has posted/committed lewd acts over the phone/social dating sites.

The victims would like it to end.

Said moron is in a dark place and I hope he gets the help he needs along with the victims if they are traumatised in any way.

The only people this effects are those directly involved and their family and friends, and they, yes, I agree need this over from an AFL and/or police investigation point of view.

The consequences from a footballing perspective pale into insignificance so from a personal perspective this could drag on for 10 years or 10 minutes and it really doesn’t have any bearing on my emotional, mental or physical well-being.

Simply this conversation, this thread and listening to Clarko this morning is why I included fans. The sooner it is done the better, it's a devise topic with different views. Left and Right leaning depending on the person.

Not one poster has been posting this - let alone ‘a lot’ of posters. Not wanting a guy to kill himself over this is not excusing his behaviour, justifying his behaviour or feeling sympathy for the guy. Can you take a step back and realise this is potentially a nuanced issue. If your mate had done something like this would you want society to pile on to breaking point or would you want them to better themselves and if they were at risk of self harm to have the help they need? Don’t give me the ‘I wouldn’t be mates with...’ line either - you never know what people are doing behind the privacy of a screen.

Mate, I’d suggest you read through some of the threads on this site. Plenty of people are dismissing Patton’s actions as being relatively harmless.

It’s a sex crime FFS, let’s call it for what it is. To the point that he avoids self harm I care absolutely zero about what happens to Patton after that.

He knew exactly what he was doing. The fact that he feels shame and looks like a predator in front of his friends and family is entirely on him.

Not at all.

Should he get a pass until he is willing to face the consequences of his actions?
You can call it a “pass” but I’d think it’s more likely that the moment you become aware that somebody has been admitted to hospital you should start to question if that person taking their life is the appropriate penalty for sending some offensive and inappropriate messages.

I don’t think it is.

I often say that birth and death is black and white but the bit in-between is all grey.....
Jesus some folk here are so bloody binary. Did you realise that humanity and existence is so complex so as to disagree with someone’s actions but not want them to suicide because of those actions? That I can equally want someone to cop responsibility for their actions but also not want that punishment to destroy their entire life. That someone might have been a sh*t bloke but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have family who would be grief-stricken if he was to take his own life. Just step back and remember not everything is so bloody black and white sometimes.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jesus some folk here are so bloody binary. Did you realise that humanity and existence is so complex so as to disagree with someone’s actions but not want them to suicide because of those actions? That I can equally want someone to cop responsibility for their actions but also not want that punishment to destroy their entire life. That someone might have been a sh*t bloke but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have family who would be grief-stricken if he was to take his own life. Just step back and remember not everything is so bloody black and white sometimes.

In this post you seem to try and suggest you are really balanced in your opinion Ned. And all us 'folk' are narrow minded. But really, you are just the same with that dude. It's likely we are all misinterpreting each other here.

Once a person takes responsibility for their actions, and the outcome to the actions is known, people can start to empathise and sympathise easier. At present, Patton isn't in a space to to this, sadly. It means there is no outcome for his actions, and we don't know if he is truly sorry for the victims, or just himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back