News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally couldn’t give a stuff about a report from the AFL.

Their reports and findings generally mean nothing much other than rug lifting and arse covering.

You are being quite ignorant to the many difficulties people face. You can not pull a card of mental health. It is not convenient and is not an excuse. It is often just part of the story. One that should not be prejudged.
I am not making that assumption mate but it does tend to provide a pretty convenient excuse in a lot of cases.

I would at least hope he has offered some form of apology to those who he has wronged.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I personally couldn’t give a stuff about a report from the AFL.

Their reports and findings generally mean nothing much other than rug lifting and arse covering.

I was of the impression that everything revolved around whatever outcome the AFL arrived at and that’s what we were all waiting on

Did any of the girls go to the police. Not that it matters because it’s not going to be based as far as I’m aware on what a police investigation determines

Such an emotional topic, isn't it?

Any astute person would await for all the information to come to light before sharing a committed opinion.

Clarko said it well today, "you live and die by the sword". He knows Jon fairly well, like the club do, and Jon's still human at the end of the day. If the findings happen to prove Patton's guilt then the necessary actions will take place.

My point, if I had one is; be careful what you say and how you say it - as casual observers with no more evidence than media print and heresay evidence from an internet forum, we just have to be patient to fling our sh*t.

That's pretty well said mate, and I recognise my opinions in this thread tonight. Sadly, I'm not so concerned in the behaviours being 'alleged' anymore. Thats just me. It seems that it's almost accepted, with more woman coming forward. In early posts I used, 'alleged', but to be honest, I don't see the need now... unless I was at work I guess.

I listened to Clarko today, and actually felt a bit sad to be honest. We are copping it from all angles due to trading and our direction post success,
his response was awkward. I've never, ever, heard Gary Lyon try and direct Clarko before, such was the aura he had. It's been a really shit off-season for us as a club, you can't hide from that.

You are being quite ignorant to the many difficulties people face. You can not pull a card of mental health. It is not convenient and is not an excuse. It is often just part of the story. One that should not be prejudged.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Am I?

Really?

Without knowing the first thing about me that is a very big statement indeed.

I am not prejudging anyone. You are falsely claiming that people don’t on occasion play the mental health card. Like any instrument, it can be used for personal gain. Poorly performing employees do it all the time to block disciplinary action or prolong payouts from employers.

I also never made that claim of Patton. I simply put it out there that it isn’t out of the question. Unlikely, but not out of the question.

So, if you want to claim anybody as being ignorant you may start by looking in the mirror champ.

Last edited:
That's pretty well said mate, and I recognise my opinions in this thread tonight. Sadly, I'm not so concerned in the behaviours being 'alleged' anymore. Thats just me. It seems that it's almost accepted, with more woman coming forward. In early posts I used, 'alleged', but to be honest, I don't see the need now... unless I was at work I guess.

I listened to Clarko today, and actually felt a bit sad to be honest. We are copping it from all angles due to trading and our direction post success,
his response was awkward. I've never, ever, heard Gary Lyon try and direct Clarko before, such was the aura he had. It's been a really sh*t off-season for us as a club, you can't hide from that.

What I heard of Clarko’s comments today were pretty mediocre. He tends to like a good word salad but that was just blather.

I hope Patton is safe but he’s looking at potential criminal charges. The AFL fluffing around is for the section of the media that things the league should have a seat on the UN Security Council.

I was of the impression that everything revolved around whatever outcome the AFL arrived at and that’s what we were all waiting on

Did any of the girls go to the police. Not that it matters because it’s not going to be based as far as I’m aware on what a police investigation determines
It will.

But it will be a stage managed report, with no loose ends. That’s the AFL way.

What I heard of Clarko’s comments today were pretty mediocre. He tends to like a good word salad but that was just blather.

I hope Patton is safe but he’s looking at potential criminal charges. The AFL fluffing around is for the section of the media that things the league should have a seat on the UN Security Council.

Totally, it felt strange listening to it.

Clarko’s comments were odd but I do wonder if he just didn’t want to kick someone while they were down or pour any more fuel on the fire. I also felt the way he talked about it that he just genuinely didn’t grasp what the hell goes on with younger blokes and phones - he’s an old soul.

Don’t know what’s taking so long tbh

I’m sure they aren’t doing Jon any favours by dragging it out and from a callous POV, the impact on the list with the season not that far away
Slobbo saying investigators struggling to speak with Patton who is still hospitalised, and has been for 3 weeks now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko’s comments were odd but I do wonder if he just didn’t want to kick someone while they were down or pour any more fuel on the fire. I also felt the way he talked about it that he just genuinely didn’t grasp what the hell goes on with younger blokes and phones - he’s an old soul.

It wasn't his finest work. He didn't need to say anything at all really - mention there's an investigation from the AFL, that we have a duty of care to him while he's still a player and that we can't comment until the investigation releases its findings. Done.

He should be walking around with a prepared answer in his pocket because that 5 minute ramble was a struggle to listen to.

Understand Robbo has a job to do but when a young bloke is in hospital for nearly four weeks receiving treatment for mental health issues surely there's a human element where you don't write an opinion piece that he needs to be deregistered from the competition.

There will be a time for all of that, but it's not now.

Last edited:
I am not going to give an opinion either way on Jonogate.

However, as I trawl through the endless ping-pong of this discussion, I wonder how the
tune would change if he were a super-fit 80-goal-a-year FF in his prime ?

Instead of a probably-not-going-to-get(last)-a-game-anyway player.

And if one of the victims were your sister or close friend.

Rather than add hypotheticals, just look at the issue.

Person involved with the club has sent/posted lewd messages. Probably a sackable act for anyone from boot studder to president.

Said person has self harmed. It’s easy to blame mental health. But to actually go through and try to take your life is serious and I hope Jon and his family get through this whether he is charged or not. For people not to have empathy that he would try to take his life is sad.

None of this changes the fact that I don’t condone any of his actions and they are completely unacceptable.

I am not going to give an opinion either way on Jonogate.

However, as I trawl through the endless ping-pong of this discussion, I wonder how the
tune would change if he were a super-fit 80-goal-a-year FF in his prime ?

Instead of a probably-not-going-to-get(last)-a-game-anyway player.

It's a double standard most seem to be aware of. Wayne Carey has a multitude of media commitments these days, but look at some of the crap he pulled:

"In 1997 Carey pleaded guilty to indecent assault after grabbing a passing woman's breast on a Melbourne city street after 12 hours of drinking with teammates."

"In 2000 Carey provided character evidence for Jason Moran"

"In 2004 he was subject to arrest for a misdemeanour battery report while holidaying with his wife in the US"

"In 2008 subdued with capsicum spray after allegedly assaulting officers"

Not to mention the questionable moral things he did which weren't criminal.

Ablett Sr. plied a 19 year old with a fatal amount of illicit substances and he's still idolised by everyone in Geelong.

It's a double standard most seem to be aware of. Wayne Carey has a multitude of media commitments these days, but look at some of the crap he pulled:

"In 1997 Carey pleaded guilty to indecent assault after grabbing a passing woman's breast on a Melbourne city street after 12 hours of drinking with teammates."

"In 2004 he was subject to arrest for a misdemeanour battery report while holidaying with his wife in the US"

Ablett Sr. plied a 19 year old with a fatal amount of illicit substances and he's still idolised by everyone in Geelong.

Remember when Gaz Sr was watching that game at Geelong a year or two back and the cameras couldn’t keep off him sitting in the crowd and the commentators fawning. It was just disgusting.

Those guys are great examples of the leagues time honoured tradition that if you are good enough at footy - you can get away with anything.

Lesser players than those two would be hung, drawn and quartered for doing even one of the shocking things you’ve listed.

And if one of the victims were your sister or close friend.

Rather than add hypotheticals, just look at the issue.

Person involved with the club has sent/posted lewd messages. Probably a sackable act for anyone from boot studder to president.

Said person has self harmed. It’s easy to blame mental health. But to actually go through and try to take your life is serious and I hope Jon and his family get through this whether he is charged or not. For people not to have empathy that he would try to take his life is sad.

None of this changes the fact that I don’t condone any of his actions and they are completely unacceptable.

This is a really good post. Well done 👍

I hope every female member refuses to renew their membership to the club until this clown is cut.

Why just female supporters?

I’m a bloke that is disgusted with Patton’s actions, why if you believe so strongly should female supporters can their membership?

The club is more important than any individual. But your membership, write a letter to club to voice your opinion if you feel so strongly, and trust club to do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back