Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

He was all class and didn't waste a touch.

He may be destined to play as a legitimate midfielder, but he can still play a faultless game on a wing or playing as an outside midfielder. His running power and his sharp kicking skills are great weapons.

He only played 72% game time too.

Last edited:
I know the game was already won and it was against Pendles who has lost some toe but seeing him dance around him on the wing late is Josh playing with the sort of confidence that has been missing this year. He can do it, he has all the tools to be a great player, i'm confident Sam and co will get him there.

He ran hard all night, put his body on the line when required and didn't seem to waste the ball at all, loved his game.

I know the game was already won and it was against Pendles who has lost some toe but seeing him dance around him on the wing late is Josh playing with the sort of confidence that has been missing this year. He can do it, he has all the tools to be a great player, i'm confident Sam and co will get him there.

He ran hard all night, put his body on the line when required and didn't seem to waste the ball at all, loved his game.
Hope you're right, I need to see more of him in these crunch games to make another assessment. Leading up to last week I was almost convinced he was going to be just a great VFL player. He needs to own it now and take his game to the next level, the desire and footy IQ is there.

I thought he grew into the pace of the game as it went on. A couple moments in the first half where he didn't quite appreciate how quickly his opponents would close him or his kicking targets down. Then in the last, he looked to have a much better feel for how much time he had to make decisions, even got to showcase some evasiveness.

Going to be hard to break the Mass/CJ/Ward wing rotation for the rest of the year đź‘Ť

I still remember falling in love with his Vic Metro vs Country game. Was better in tight and made better decisions than Daicos that day.

gee, I'm happy for this guy. TBH, he was stinking it up in the VFL six weeks ago, poor delivery, just a tad wary of the contest. I'll put that down to a loss in confidence at AFL, and Sam handled it perfectly. Went down to the BHH, regained his poise and contest, and he looks like a totally different player now. Runs like the wind, hard at it, and delivers it beautifully.
poster child for the brilliance of Sam Mitchell and his ability to manage players and get the absolute best out of them.
it's no coincidence the Eagles won it in 2018.

gee, I'm happy for this guy. TBH, he was stinking it up in the VFL six weeks ago, poor delivery, just a tad wary of the contest. I'll put that down to a loss in confidence at AFL, and Sam handled it perfectly. Went down to the BHH, regained his poise and contest, and he looks like a totally different player now. Runs like the wind, hard at it, and delivers it beautifully.
poster child for the brilliance of Sam Mitchell and his ability to manage players and get the absolute best out of them.
it's no coincidence the Eagles won it in 2018.
6 weeks ago, he got 32 touches, a goal and 10 marks. I sure can't wait for him to "Stink it up" at AFL level!

View attachment 2054698
Reckon Sam is happy with his game also đź‘Ť
Fk yeah! Great pic & really happy for Wardy. Once he gets that continuity of performance he will be a mainstay and a weapon that hopefully can play multiple roles for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes, 32 touches of which 11, yes 11, were effective. I'd be confident he would be the first to admit things had to change, and they certainly did!!!
Where are the stats that show disposal efficiency? Because I don't believe this at all.

Edit: Found it, went at ~82%, so you're full of shit.

33 disposals, 83% DE, 3 clearances, 11 score involvements, 10 marks and you're telling us he "stunk it up"? **** me.

1722219105593.png

Last edited:
yes, 32 touches of which 11, yes 11, were effective. I'd be confident he would be the first to admit things had to change, and they certainly did!!!
You've got this wrong. He had 11 score involvements. His DE% was 81.8%.

He had 33 - 8 contested, 25 uncontested - and led the game for score involvements with 11.

I really like his quick 35m passes that never miss the mark.

I'd have loved for him to get more involved in the second half, after a good first half display. Both he and Day stood up the most when Adelaide came out to play, especially in that second quarter (8 touches) when we took control of the game.

I really like his quick 35m passes that never miss the mark.

I'd have loved for him to get more involved in the second half, after a good first half display. Both he and Day stood up the most when Adelaide came out to play, especially in that second quarter (8 touches) when we took control of the game.

Along with those quick 35m kicks he had some really nice low punchy handballs which set teammates away.

Probably more a matchday thread comment but geez our handballing overall has improved drastically over the last two years. Remember watching games thinking we would be the worst handballing side in the comp. Now we rarely have handballs at the feet, and we draw opposition in so well before releasing the outside runner (Day probably the best exponent of this).

Along with those quick 35m kicks he had some really nice low punchy handballs which set teammates away.

Probably more a matchday thread comment but geez our handballing overall has improved drastically over the last two years. Remember watching games thinking we would be the worst handballing side in the comp. Now we rarely have handballs at the feet, and we draw opposition in so well before releasing the outside runner (Day probably the best exponent of this).
I was mesmerized at the Collingwood game with how well they were handballing at all sorts of angles. We were never much of a handballing team under Clarko since we relied on elite kicking but the running power and speed of the current squad opens up the game with the handball as it's a weapon, not a get out of trouble play.

Was excellent. Really links up well.

Can't wait for him to get full time midfield minutes. He's starting to put some heat on Worps and Nash.

He's not putting heat on Worps and Nash at all.
Ward is playing a totally different game to them. As you say, he's linking up (and doing it very nicely). On Sunday he was excellent at finding space, getting the ball and passing it off.

He had 19 possessions on Sunday but only 4 or so of them were contested possessions.
He's a long way from doing the hard contested inside stuff that Nash, Worps and Newk, and Day, are excelling at.

He's not putting heat on Worps and Nash at all.
Ward is playing a totally different game to them. As you say, he's linking up (and doing it very nicely). On Sunday he was excellent at finding space, getting the ball and passing it off.

He had 19 possessions on Sunday but only 4 or so of them were contested possessions.
He's a long way from doing the hard contested inside stuff that Nash, Worps and Newk, and Day, are excelling at.

He was finding plenty of the pill at VFL level as an inside mid, as are Finn and Harry.

Frenchy found plenty in the 2s on the weekend.

Everyone is pushing and driving each other to be better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back