Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

32 for Ward would be a great deal for us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You Are Dumb Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I'm kinda speechless

32 for Ward would be a great deal for us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We got pick 31 for Kyle Cheney, Luke Lowden and pick 43 in 2014. The quality of player Ward already is and could become compared to what their potential ever was or the players they were (sorry Lowden fans and Cheney did great in 2014) is night and day.
Ward, at worst, would be worth an early second-round pick. Anyway, we won't have to worry about him leaving or us trading him after he plays on Friday night.

In the GWS game he seemed to wait for the ball in fear of making a mistake or over running it. It meant by the time he got the ball he was under immense pressure and just made poor decisions.

In the VFL on the weekend he clearly attacked the ball. Would he happy for him to come into the team in McKenzie’s place.
And the pressure that the dogs will try and apply will be immense. He can't wait, he must attack & go harder for longer. I hope he gets selected & this game gives him the belief that he belongs.

I like that people always invoke the GWS game and invoke that he was pretty damn solid against both Adelaide and Collingwood in our wins against them before it. I think with no Day or Mackenzie he is going to play where he wants in the midfield and show what he's made of on the big stage.

Last edited:
I like that people always invoke the GWS game and invoke that he was pretty damn solid against both Adelaide and Collingwood in our wins against them before it. I think with no Ward or Mackenzie he is going to play where he wants in the midfield and show what he's made of on the big stage.
Huh

Even if he doesn't excel in the centre clearance game or stoppages around the ground, we can back in Nash/Newc/Worps to do that kind of dirty work as always.

The great thing is that he has a massive tank and decent speed along with pretty being a pretty good kick. Can absolutely be a weapon on the spread (which is where we will need to do our damage) and he runs both ways.

As long as he can apply pressure at the stoppage if they get their hands on it, and be there for handball receives from the coalface when we get it, I think he will do just fine. Just need clean hands and safe, simple disposal. He's a lefty so the kick out wide to the D'Ambrosio wing is something we look to do often anyway and will be within his wheelhouse.

End of the day, this guy dominated juniors as an inside/outside mid, he has played 40 games, he is certainly not out of his depth at the level, he just isn't getting regular games in a midfield that was humming and healthy. It is entirely possible he has a game with 25 touches and 5 clearances at 80%, and that is absolutely plenty.

I'm a believer, make us proud Wardy.

The problem I see for Ward is the same scenario Worpel faced with Mitchel and Omera both ahead of him in the midfield 2019-22.

Ward is a pure midfielder and has more inside attributes than outside. Unfortunately for him Worpel, Newcome & Nash have all been super consistent and injury free seasons in 2023 & 24. At the start of this year, I thought he would push Worpel out. Not his fault, just lack of opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Pies have picks 32, 48 and 50 at the moment. That's like 3 sets of steak knives unless they have a trade in mind.
Lewis was a pick 72
Meek was a pick 69
Moore a pick 67
Sicily a pick 56
Worpel a pick 45
Bruest a rookie pick
Newcombe a mid season pick
D’Ambrosio a mid season pick

Talk to me about these “steak knives”.

Lewis was a pick 72
Meek was a pick 69
Moore a pick 67
Sicily a pick 56
Worpel a pick 45
Bruest a rookie pick

Dont forget to add Ginny, dear, Hardwick 😂 I’m sure there a few more to. We should invest in more steak knives

Lewis was a pick 72
Meek was a pick 69
Moore a pick 67
Sicily a pick 56
Worpel a pick 45
Bruest a rookie pick

Lewis was Pick 76 and that's a pick that has been passed on in roughly 50% of drafts since 2010, it hasn't actually been used once since 2018. Same with Pick 69.

Just because some players picked at late picks in certain drafts have been good doesn't make 32, 48 and 50 valuable.

These type of situations where a couple of inside mids miss a game or two or even more that is why you need pure inside mids ready to be the next cab off the rank. Can't just take Dylan from his natural position and plonk him in the middle, what he does across half frwd is way too valuable and would suit the dogs. So, josh, it's your time mate. There's no way Duke, worps and Nash are going to be able to go full four qtrs as main mids against a side that has plenty of guns for in there already. Ward will get plenty of chances to make big impact in and around the ball.

I just hope Ward takes his opportunity tonight!

If I am not mistaken, this will be his first game in the seniors where he will get to play his natural position in the middle with Day and Frenchie out of the side.

Hopefully a bit like Nash being played in the guts at BH and then out of position in the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back