Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Super unlucky to be knocked out mid-air and be unable to land safely causing an injury.

Really feel for the big guy. But he's young and can now take time to recover and strengthen up the legs for the 2nd half of 2025.

Dear, Scaife and Ramsden now have an opportunity to battle for a spot while he's out.

Thats f'd. I guess its opportunity for Calsher, Ramsden and Scaife. And maybe a good enough reason to keep gunston around another year.

Can someone confirm its the same knee with the sprain/ partial ACL tear?
It's all been to the same knee (the left). From the extract below in an article last year whilst it doesn't actually say the left knee it does mention that it was the same knee that was re-injured which was originally the left. The other picture below also shows his left knee which is strapped.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 4.54.38 pm.png Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 4.58.00 pm.png

Little bit different
How? Sic did his in August 2020, he didn't play at all in 2021, even though he could have played in the later rounds of the year, but we elected not to play him that season and get him cherry ripe for 2022.

Should do the same here.

How? Sic did his in August 2020, he didn't play at all in 2021, even though he could have played in the later rounds of the year, but we elected not to play him that season and get him cherry ripe for 2022.

Should do the same here.

Agree don’t think we will see him at all next year if it’s a full reco.

So we may not see him again till round R1 2026.

Man that sucks big time but I feared it watching the replay.

Can’t recall anyone ever doing a knee like that though. Normally it’s a change of direction action running, or an impact across the knee. So very unlucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awful news for Mitch and the side. He had so much potential as a key forward but it seems clear that he just has one of those bodies that isn’t able to endure the rigours of AFL football.

I wish him the best in his rehab. Unfortunately, the Hawks have to plan the future without him from here on. Anything we get from Mitch is now bonus, cannot be part of the grand plan.

Sorry for my French, but **** our luck this year and especially for Lewis.

I’m so gutted for him. I cannot even imagine how awful he must feel at the minute, his spot in the forward line must feel like a millenia away at this point 😔

Make no mistake, this is a massive whack against our rebuild. Replacing him will not be easy and no certainty he goes back to his best now with an ACL. Just awful - hope he has a lot of good support around him atm.

He is a leader and was a key cog in us climbing. Big shoes to fill now.

Man, this is just utterly depressing news. Screw the Cats and their dogpile trash fire can of a stadium. Lest us never return to that stadium clearly built on a cursed burial ground.

Poor Mitchy, unluckiest guy on our list :/
Starting to think we won’t get a big consistent run of him at the level I think he can play at.

Makes me sad :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange choice of words in this article.

No mention of a rupture.
No mention of a reconstruction.
No mention of a year out of the game.

Just 'injured ACL', 'remainder of the season' and 'rehab process'.

What is the actual extent of the injury?
If it's a full rupture and reconstruction why have they gone to obvious lengths to avoid mentioning it?
My thoughts exactly, very interesting press release. I wonder if the medical team is considering the brace? There's a few different protocols out now. Timing of his injury would make them pause and consider it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back