Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : MSD Pick 12, Brandon Ryan, debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan has a day out, kicking 5 for the Bullants to help them over the line in a close one.

• He may only be 200cm, but his arms look like they add more than a metre to his height, with massive hands.
  • Kicking at goal looks a bit unusual. Leg seems to swing across his body a bit.
  • Can pinch hit in the ruck, which could be handy for us.
  • Averages about 15 disposals this year, so he must have a decent tank.

Overall a different prospect than what we already have on the list.

Has a bit of David Hale about him

Despite being 25 (26 in November), worth also considering that like a lot of mature-age recruits, very possible he goes well into his 30s, considering his body hasn't really been knocked around at the elite level yet.

Will be interesting to see how he develops - realistically late-round MSDs are low odds, so worth a punt on a point of difference

Best of luck to Brandon - must be bloody exciting for him :D

21HaGe18MD0135.JPG

"Goodness me, Brandon, now that you're with us, surely you can afford some decent trousers...I'll lend you the money if you need"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Rory Lobb, plays like David Hale.
He has that knack of taking contested marks just by standing tall with arms outstretched while everybody else mistimes the ball.
Hale did that a lot for us.

He might get games for us this season.

Despite being 25 (26 in November), worth also considering that like a lot of mature-age recruits, very possible he goes well into his 30s, considering his body hasn't really been knocked around at the elite level yet.

Will be interesting to see how he develops - realistically late-round MSDs are low odds, so worth a punt on a point of difference

Best of luck to Brandon - must be bloody exciting for him :D

Which mature ages have gone well into their 30's?

I haven't seen much of Ryan. From the highlights, he does seem to be quite a bit more cumbersome and awkward in movement compared to a Max Ramsden or King brother, but he does remind me a bit of David Hale. Unlike Hale, he is a forward first but can certainly ruck. Despite being a bit more cumbersome, in my opinion, he does seem to be alright below his knees and can certainly take a mark. He also seems to get up the ground and get involved. His kicking action is certainly very unique. It comes across his body, and it's almost as if his technique is that of a halfback playing on from a free kick and sending a booming kick. It is certainly one of the more unique actions I have seen. It will be interesting to see how they split time between forward and ruck for Ryan and Ramsden at Box Hill. With Ramsden and Ryan right there, Koschitzke will most certainly have to put up performances similar to what he did last week every week to ensure his selection.

Looks like an interesting prospect - and worth a punt as hasn’t spent much time in development pathways. Long arms and a knack for marking balls when he looks out of position. Does some wierd stuff in kicking action that expect will be ironed out at afl environment.

Looks quite skinny for a 25 year old. Is he more a 3rd tall type at afl level? Unless he’s super strong seems unlikely to be stacking on a huge amount of weight at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : MSD Pick 12, Brandon Ryan, debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back