Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wiz in #1 - but I’m hoping Harry has some great footy in him yet. Happy to see him in #28 too if Frenchy ever wanted a change, given he is also the new Poppy.

But if he wants to stay in #34 it would please junior who already has the number on his jumper!

I’d offer #22 to Dylan Moore, if he wants it. He’s the heir apparent.
If these number changes were to happen then it could be a perfect storm.

Wiz from #34 to #1 (his junior number)
Moore from #13 to #22 (in honour of Breust)
Dear from #35 to #13 (in honour of his dad)

Dear to 19. Strong connection with Gunston and a number suited to a key forward! Don't think he needs his old man's number. Finn doesn't.

I don’t think any of them will want to change after winning the flag in their current numbers this year.

He;s doing this weekly at this point, freak.

This doesn't pick up the best bit - he was first involved 5 seconds before that running through like a cannon ball from the centre corridor towards the flank and brought some chaos with him. Then he goes straight back throught the other way, picks it up and goals. Was a brilliant passage i replayed 4 times!

Probably one of the more impactful 0 goal games I've seen from a small forward today. Gave away so many goals, got his hands into so many contests. Between Dear and Watson it's unreal seeing how far out of a contest they can be, or how out of position they can look, before somehow bringing it to ground and setting up scores.

Probably one of the more impactful 0 goal games I've seen from a small forward today. Gave away so many goals, got his hands into so many contests. Between Dear and Watson it's unreal seeing how far out of a contest they can be, or how out of position they can look, before somehow bringing it to ground and setting up scores.

If Watson kicks straight he wins the rising star. Impact is off the charts for a first year small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He starts games so well. Against Pies and also today in the intensity of a huge game he just gets amongst it and sets up assists from the get-go. Sets a very high standard early, and suited to our style and the MCG to a tee. Is huge for us to have a first year player playing like that already. His upside is scary.

Also David King asked Sam on SEN on Friday about the free kicks for high tackles stat. Sam said what he thinks has been overlooked is our ability and toughness with ground ball gets, and how we attack the contest hard and fast and get hands to it first. If you watch Watson, he is as hard and courageous as you can be for a first year player and at his height. He is just relentless puts himself in attacking position using his pace and craft.

He's like Toby Greene and Cyril Rioli had a baby.

If Watson kicks straight he wins the rising star. Impact is off the charts for a first year small forward.

You can go back through history, no small forward has had as many shots on goal on average as a first year player.. Milne, Breust, Rioli, Betts, Farmer, Stevie J, Ablett Jnr, Matera... Even recently Pickett and Rankine couldn't manage three shots a game in their first season.

It's quite rare for even big forwards to average that many shots per game in their first season, even Buddy couldn't do it.

In fact other then Hogan and Sav Rocca, the last players to average three shots per game in their first season were Dunstall, Lockett and Ablett SNR. Both Riewoldts, Lloyd, Kernahan and Fevola could not do it.

And I wouldn't worry about Watson's inaccuracy, Ablett SNR kicked more behinds than goals in his first season, and he turned out okay.

I have no idea what this guy's ceiling is if this is what he is doing already.

Seeing lots of people saying there will never be another Cyril etc but I reckon the Wiz is going to come very, very close.
Cyril's soft tissue troubles limited him in certain aspects of the game (ie. playing more time in the middle and up the ground). If Watson is fortunate enough to avoid having those types of issues then I could see him getting there.

I have no idea what this guy's ceiling is if this is what he is doing already.

Seeing lots of people saying there will never be another Cyril etc but I reckon the Wiz is going to come very, very close.

If you had to define the Wizard's ceiling at this early stage of his career (given that he's only 19 and playing his first year of AFL) it would be somewhere between the stratosphere and troposphere, I reckon.

He has to be the fastest player over 10 metres at the club, if not in the AFL.
I seriously don't recall seeing anyone with such lightning quick reactions (apart from Mark Waugh).
And for a 19 year old, his read of the play and ability to sprint to the right positions are extraordinary.

And he's probably the second toughest tackler at the club after Nash.

And he's only 14 games into his career !!

Don't want to start counting chickens etc, but I suspect he may be a big game finals player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back