Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this from Sam that no one but me is to tell him how to kick for goal. The kid only needs one voice in his ear showing him what to do and what better person to do that than one of the greatest kicks of the ball of all time.

It was a different sport but I remember when Shaq couldn’t hit free throws throughout his career he mentioned that he’d have many people on a daily basis offering him tips on what to do.

Another bunch of Twitter replies that makes me weep for humanity. Bunch of mouth breathers saying that this isn't a revelation clearly haven't watched the video when they state that coaching is about delegation and most head coaches only look at the macro and don't spend time one on one with players. Social media is, as always, a brilliant catalyst for full blown misanthropy.

Another bunch of Twitter replies that makes me weep for humanity. Bunch of mouth breathers saying that this isn't a revelation clearly haven't watched the video when they state that coaching is about delegation and most head coaches only look at the macro and don't spend time one on one with players. Social media is, as always, a brilliant catalyst for full blown misanthropy.
That’s twitter.
Seriously, you have to be proper bitter to even bother hitting reply to a story like that. Disagree with the story? Wgaf

That’s twitter.
Seriously, you have to be proper bitter to even bother hitting reply to a story like that. Disagree with the story? Wgaf

Oh I know it's a low bar for humanity on there - but it's more that almost every single reply was just people thinking the pundits were idiots for suggesting what they did - but they clearly knew what they were talking about, particularly Cornes and Lloyd who have ****ing played the game at the highest level and would know more about it than the pinheads jumping to reply without watching the footage.

That’s twitter.
Some people having nothing better to do on social media. Facebook is equally horrendous.

This is the moment I knew we had something. It’s also hilarious that the casual oppo flogs who are whining about his media attention just cling to ‘BuT He MiSsEs a LoT’ - I now get why he went so high for a small forward because he’s freakishly talented with ball in hand and without it. He’s a hell of a lot more than just a small forward. Genuinely feel sorry for neutrals who can’t enjoy what he does.
One of the reasons his nomination has come so late. Most people just look at the scoring stats for forwards and that forms their opinion. As a junior he was seen as highly talented with a range of scoring weapons, snap left/right, marking, evasive etc., he wasn’t seen much as a defensive weapon which has been brought out in an afl environment where it is trained and much more necessary as opposed to junior footy.

Very similar to Dear, if he was judged simply by his scoring he probably wouldn’t be in the 22 but the coaches know his defensive impact and value it highly. I’d much rather have Dear over Caddy but who is more likely to get a rising star nomination?

The Wiz is so dangerous and learning fast. As soon as his opponent was ball-watching he was gone and torched them. Is already looking like a very anxiety inducing match-up.

Watson took some time to find his stride this season but has shown his mouth-watering talent in recent weeks, including a three-goal haul against Collingwood that secured him the rising star nomination.
With the Hawks appearing to be on a big upward swing under Sam Mitchell, Watson said he was all-in for the ride.
“I am loving my time at Hawthorn, I love the coaching crew,” he told the Herald Sun.
“If that contract comes in front of me, I would not hesitate to sign it and it is definitely where I want to be for the rest of my career.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson took some time to find his stride this season but has shown his mouth-watering talent in recent weeks, including a three-goal haul against Collingwood that secured him the rising star nomination.
With the Hawks appearing to be on a big upward swing under Sam Mitchell, Watson said he was all-in for the ride.
“I am loving my time at Hawthorn, I love the coaching crew,” he told the Herald Sun.
“If that contract comes in front of me, I would not hesitate to sign it and it is definitely where I want to be for the rest of my career.”

Just hope he doesn’t want to be a “one player club”!!!!

“I love being the villain and that is something I thrive on. It is good when I start getting on top of them and they start getting even more salty.”

Christ he's going to be a pest to the rest of the competition

Would already have the rising star wrapped up if his goal accuracy had been at AFL average for the year according to Daniel Hoyne.
I wonder if that includes those made ineligible like Reid and Darcy.

Almost my favourite Wizard thing is when he missed a set shot V Richmond and they're all giving him the bird and he started waving at them without even looking.

I don't know why but that really made me laugh and endeared him to me.

He's a lunatic.

The other thing that amuses me is when teammates pick him up...in a way it's really inappropriate but if you're 6'4" or something he's way too small to comfortably hug. They'll be firing him out of cannons next.

I wonder if that includes those made ineligible like Reid and Darcy.
Yeah for sure, from a ratings point of view. The Player Rating system heavily punishes inaccuracy and inefficiency. Inaccurate goal kicking = poor disposal efficiency = low player rating.

The one game he kicked multiple goals and was accurate - last weekend - his player rating was 21.

That's so interesting to contemplate.
Not remembering off the top of my head, but has any first year player signed/reworked into a long contract INSIDE their first season and if so, at what dollars?
Would take a tonne of imagination from both sides, the Club and the player, to have a feeling of correctly valuing the worth and potential career ahead.
Fascinating.

Not remembering off the top of my head, but has any first year player signed/reworked into a long contract INSIDE their first season and if so, at what dollars?
Would take a tonne of imagination from both sides, the Club and the player, to have a feeling of correctly valuing the worth and potential career ahead.
Fascinating.
His manager would be saying, “Steady on young Wiz”
No need to undersell himself right now

Fascinating.
Sheezle went to 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back