Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli is quicker (and simpy more athletic) than Watson.

Watson has great acceleration, but over medium distances he is not that quick. His legs just aren't long enough. He generally gets a split second head start on everyone because he's so fast of thought and has elite short space acceleration, and that's all he needs to be damaging.

Rioli was quick over any distance IMO, until he tired.

I saw that the Wiz had the fastest record time in the Carlton game at 33.4kmph.

I looked up Cyril and there's a Tom Boyle article on him that says his highest recorded time was 9.4metres per second which I put into a converter and got 33.84kmph.

So there doesn't seem to be a great deal in it. (Hopefully Watson gets even quicker).

I'm not entirely convinced by the accuracy though due to seemingly different players being in the top 5 every week but what else can you go on.

I looked up Cyril and there's a Tom Boyle article on him that says his highest recorded time was 9.4metres per second which I put into a converter and got 33.84kmph.

So there doesn't seem to be a great deal in it. (Hopefully Watson gets even quicker).

I'm not entirely convinced by the accuracy though due to seemingly different players being in the top 5 every week but what else can you go on.
Watsons first few steps are rapid, like his power off the mark is ridiculous.

I see you, and go all in:

Shoot him out into space for true zero gravity recovery.:straining:

All in... and THEN send him back through time to Tatooine so that Qui Gon can test his midiclorians, anoint him the chosen one, and then train him properly in the Jedi Arts!!!

OR maybe just play him forward.

Either option seems good.

Cyril spent most of his career needing to slow himself down due to a relearned running form from hamstring injuries.

In the 2007 draft combine Cyril was third in the 30m repeat sprints (6x30m sprint times totalled):
1. Chris Kangars 23.59 secs
2. Patrick Dangerfield 23.96 sec
3. Cyril Rioli 24.01 sec

Not far off Danger who, despite other faults, is genuinely one of the fastest blokes to ever play footy. As much of a sideshow as the HT sprint was at the GF, Danger won 3 times without ever really being challenged.

From other years in the repeat 30, Gary Rohan ran 24.33 and Lewis Jetta ran 24.61 - both recognised as some of the fastest players the league has seen, with Gary Rohan having the fastest GPS recorded speed ever in game.

Watson is very quick, but almost any comparison with Cyril isn't going to be favourable to him. Arguably one of the most natural athletes and footy players to ever play.

Cyril spent most of his career needing to slow himself down due to a relearned running form from hamstring injuries.

In the 2007 draft combine Cyril was third in the 30m repeat sprints (6x30m sprint times totalled):

Not far off Danger who, despite other faults, is genuinely one of the fastest blokes to ever play footy. As much of a sideshow as the HT sprint was at the GF, Danger won 3 times without ever really being challenged.

From other years in the repeat 30, Gary Rohan ran 24.33 and Lewis Jetta ran 24.61 - both recognised as some of the fastest players the league has seen, with Gary Rohan having the fastest GPS recorded speed ever in game.

Watson is very quick, but almost any comparison with Cyril isn't going to be favourable to him. Arguably one of the most natural athletes and footy players to ever play.
It’s just pointless as there isn’t enough data to back the claims either way. It’s purely opinion driven and again meaningless in the grand scheme.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ineligible due to suspension.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. There will be a Bradbury winner, if you will (only half joking).

I think McKercher has been awesome for a first year player, especially playing for a poor side. Though maybe he hasn't played enough games.

Otherwise Humphries and Wilson should feature near the top and Dear and Watson should both get a few votes too.

We absolutely nailed this pick. What an impact he is having!
I'll put up my hand and say I wasn't overly joyed when we took him. My bad, this kid is elite in many ways. He just belongs on the big stage and will win us many matches in the future off his own boot. Special player.

I'll happily stick my hand up and say that I was dead wrong hoping that Zane Duursma would fall our way due to being "best fit".

Watto has been spectacular, with so much more improvement to come. Absolutely love everything he brings to this team!
Today my friend said to me today “heck he’s only 18. How many years are we going to hear you sing this after every goal”:

heck I love being annoying in public when my team wins by 20 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back