Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly right! The best thing about our team is our most talented young players have so much development left in them. Dear, Watson, weddle, mckenzie, McCabe are 20 and under.

It is precisely this group which makes us really dangerous going forward. We saw Connor MacDonald break out in his third year this year. We have those mentioned above still to go through that, and all area very talented in their own ways. Plus recruitment and off seasons, our list is in a great position.

I would be really interested to see Champion Data's player ratings for Nick Watson if they were adjusted for him having just league average goal kicking accuracy - 50% or so. They penalise inaccuracy so much that I have a feeling he would very quickly jump from the 7th highest rated 19 year old to pushing Reid for 1st.

32 set shots for 9.17 and 6 no score is the biggest travesty here.

After watching the game ……. during our stay this was my favourite beer. How ironic 😊

View attachment 2091434

I had a few years where my work put me in Launceston regularly and discovered the Wizard Smith beers.

Unfortunately Tasmanian retail only (besides a small period where they trial sold for a few weeks at Liquorland here in Vic), so try to stock up whenever I am down there. Last time I took the ferry over, ended up at Dan Murphy's Bellerive and emptied out the store's supply of slabs to drive back to Melbourne with.

Last edited:
I saw that the Wiz had the fastest record time in the Carlton game at 33.4kmph.

I looked up Cyril and there's a Tom Boyle article on him that says his highest recorded time was 9.4metres per second which I put into a converter and got 33.84kmph.

So there doesn't seem to be a great deal in it. (Hopefully Watson gets even quicker).

I'm not entirely convinced by the accuracy though due to seemingly different players being in the top 5 every week but what else can you go on.

Was curious on this myself, given they run at 10hz and AFL has short sprints.
"30-m test (1.58 ± 0.80 km·hr−1, 5.5 ± 2.6%)" better than I thought.
I imagine there would be erroneous data with dropped satellites in the contested space of AFL which might make it worse.

To the naked eye I don't think any other Hawthorn player has appeared to have the reaction time nor burst speed of the Wiz since Cyril.

I had a few years where my work put me in Launceston regularly and discovered the Wizard Smith beers.

Unfortunately Tasmanian retail only (besides a small period where they trial sold for a few weeks at Liquorland here in Vic), so try to stock up whenever I am down there. Last time I took the ferry over, ended up at Dan Murphy's Bellerive and emptied out the store's supply of slabs to drive back to Melbourne with.
Spewing its not sold on mainland it would be my go to beer. I put a 6 pack in the carry on luggage 👍

For those that like JB Premium at some stage in the future it will continue to be brewed in Launceston and in NSW at Tooheys which will be the one that mainland customers get …… which could impact its quality!

Weird …… thinking the light/reflections on the brown glass playing funny buggers with camera
Yeah, on second look I think your camera is applying some depth of field effect and has some iffy edge detection on the foreground objects. Better than eating glass!

Weird …… thinking the light/reflections on the brown glass playing funny buggers with camera
I know from gratuitous amounts of Teams meetings that it is the background blur not cutting cleanly. The amount of times I've lost the top of my head due to wearing headphones...

I know from gratuitous amounts of Teams meetings that it is the background blur not cutting cleanly. The amount of times I've lost the top of my head due to wearing headphones...

Smartphone cameras showed great promise that they might one day surpass even the best stand alone SLRs.

Nek minute we're losing sections of our head to Beats and eating glass from our beer bottles, and it's next to impossible to get a color accurate image. Don't get me started on the fish eye lens effect.

There should be an enquiry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smartphone cameras showed great promise that they might one day surpass even the best stand alone SLRs.

Nek minute we're losing sections of our head to Beats and eating glass from our beer bottles, and it's next to impossible to get a color accurate image. Don't get me started on the fish eye lens effect.

There should be an enquiry.
Some blame the tools, others blame the user…

This is a screen shot of a photo taken on my iphone that is 4 years old. No ai trickery involved either 🤪

1724651021246.jpeg

Followed by J Brown, who said Dempsey is a lock.
I really do think the RS should be only for players who are either in their first season, or were red shirts for their first season. Dempsey has been in the league for 2 years, doesn't seem right.

I really do think the RS should be only for players who are either in their first season, or were red shirts for their first season. Dempsey has been in the league for 2 years, doesn't seem right.
His third year right? That's like JHF winning the award. Should be first year players or players overlooked in their first year and picked up the following draft, that are still in their teens at the start of the year not someone who is almost 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back