Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not fussed if the Wiz doesn't get it. Rightfully belongs to Sam Darcy or Harley Reid.

Just funny how the media openly discounted Newcombe and Burton for being 2nd year players who had played 6 and 3 games respectively.

But now there's a 3rd year player who's played 7 games across his first couple years and has had two extra preseasons of development and I haven't heard it mentioned once.

Not fussed if the Wiz doesn't get it. Rightfully belongs to Sam Darcy or Harley Reid.

Just funny how the media openly discounted Newcombe and Burton for being 2nd year players who had played 6 and 3 games respectively.

But now there's a 3rd year player who's played 7 games across his first couple years and has had two extra preseasons of development and I haven't heard it mentioned once.
It is pretty funny. The best thing about the Newcombe situation was that not only did he get dismissed for not being a first year player, he was graded as more of a mature age player than Nic Martin and Sam De Konig who were both the same age.

I have no qualms about Daicos winning in 2022, and he's been the stronger player since, but it's clear Newcombe was given a handicap for being older despite objectively the strongest season (and the strongest season in recent history for a rising star nominee).

A player could be running half arsed at the ball carrier and it will count as a pressure act.

Rioli rarely cracked the top 100 on pressure acts per game, yes, per-game. Actually, the year he won the Norm Smith he was ranked 100th in the league.

Yes, the best pressure player in the league was ranked 100th for pressure acts.
The opponent seeing Cyril's name on the teamsheet was a pressure act.

I reckon when Cyril looks back on his AFL resume, regrets about not winning the rising star would be pretty low on his list of reactions. Hopefully Watson ends with a similar CV (though preferably staying in the game a lot longer and achieving double the accomplishments!).

I reckon when Cyril looks back on his AFL resume, regrets about not winning the rising star would be pretty low on his list of reactions. Hopefully Watson ends with a similar CV (though preferably staying in the game a lot longer and achieving double the accomplishments!).
It's hard to regret something you have no control over. I think players would still rather win awards than not, even if it's something they won't lose sleep over.

I've been so impressed with Watson, even early on when he was missing all those shots. A couple of key points...

- he works really well with Ginivan, Moore and McDonald in the sense that they never seem to get in the way of each other.

- his timing at the fall of the ball is spot on and he usually hits it running at full speed. Moving at pace like that means the opposition have to lay a tackle if they are going to stop him and at five foot feck all, good luck not getting him above the shoulders.

I could go on here (e.g. his ability/work rate/footy smarts to find himself in the open; the quickness of his disposal by hand and foot) but the above two points are what has impressed me most.

I said when we drafted him "who doesn't love a gun small forward, all the good sides have one" and that's what we've got on our hands.

I've been so impressed with Watson, even early on when he was missing all those shots. A couple of key points...

- he works really well with Ginivan, Moore and McDonald in the sense that they never seem to get in the way of each other.

- his timing at the fall of the ball is spot on and he usually hits it running at full speed. Moving at pace like that means the opposition have to lay a tackle if they are going to stop him and at five foot feck all, good luck not getting him above the shoulders.

I could go on here (e.g. his ability/work rate/footy smarts to find himself in the open; the quickness of his disposal by hand and foot) but the above two points are what has impressed me most.

I said when we drafted him "who doesn't love a gun small forward, all the good sides have one" and that's what we've got on our hands.
The other thing that goes almost unnoticed is how good he is on his non-preferred left foot. Could be close to our most ambidextrous player since the coach himself.

Sent from my SM-F741B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7th place – Darcy Jones (6 votes)
8th place – Matt Roberts (3 votes)
9th place – Lawson Humphries (2 votes)
=10th place – Caleb Windsor (1 vote)
=10th place – Logan Morris (1 vote)

surprised especially with this tripe
Meh. Initial thought is that not getting a vote is a joke, second thought is that I'd take Wiz ahead of every name listed. Glad we've got him.

What the hell is a matt Roberts
talking kids show GIF by MANGOTEETH

Luke Breust kick 35 goals in his rising star year and didnt get a single vote either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back