Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the best first season for a small forward since cyril. And before him, probably aaron davey. Very impressive and he got better as the year went on too.

Just to compare Davey to Wiz first season...

Davey kicked one more goal than Watson, but Watson scored 52 times to Davey 48, and Davey played one more game including the elimination final against Essendon, which they lost by 5 points, and Davey had 10 disposals but no scores in that game, as opposed to Watson who had 11 disposals and kicked 4.1.

Davey was also a year and three months older than Wiz when he debuted in round 1 vs Hawthorn in 2004.

Understandably there's a lot of focus on scoreboard impact but there's really not enough value being placed on his forward 50 pressure. 3rd, 4th, 5th follow up efforts are just insane.

He's not Cyril, but he's doing Cyril like stuff with his pressure.

The thing about Cyril was his strength. He had unnatural strength. That's what made him so good and such a good tackler.

He's not Cyril, but he's doing Cyril like stuff with his pressure.

The thing about Cyril was his strength. He had unnatural strength. That's what made him so good and such a good tackler.

I think Wiz has that unnatural strength. He's a ball of muscle. Competing aerially against guys almost a foot taller and 20kg heavier and still able to get the ball to ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re lucky in the sense that North had 2 opportunities to grab him before us and fumbled the bag.

Clarko loved the Wiz and wanted to pick him.

Got overruled apparently by Brady and co. LOL

North just had to go for another small midfielder and medium forward.

Clarko loved the Wiz and wanted to pick him.

Got overruled apparently by Brady and co. LOL

North just had to go for another small midfielder and medium forward.
Actually, a lot of ppl on here and out in the footy world pre-draft that got put off by his height. Including some that have followed / been in football for a long time. They preferred taller players Duursma and Curtin. We were in the best position having seen him ply his trade in two pre seasons with us.

Actually, a lot of ppl on here and out in the footy world pre-draft that got put off by his height. Including some that have followed / been in football for a long time. They preferred taller players Duursma and Curtin. We were in the best position having seen him ply his trade in two pre seasons with us.
I was in that cohort T4P. I am very happy to admit I got it wrong.

I liked both Big Game Zane and the Wiz but I was always leaning Wiz. Both super talents.

My biggest concern with Zane is his application. Saw in his junior year he would pick and choose when to go at times.

Never saw that with the Wiz. The kid is going at 100% from the second the ball bounces. He's a complete nutcase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back