Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

His next challenge will be when he gets tagged, soon it will come and it wouldn't surprise me they don't send Jack Graham to him this week!!
Previously it was Jai who was our Kickstarter but Will seems like he is having more influence on the team when he is up and about!!
I also expect this is coming now based on his form. Ability to handle the close attention is what separates the top 10 players in the comp from the very good players in the top 30 or so. Jai and Sicily have found the close attention hard to navigate, as have many very good players around the league.

It's funny reading old comments on this thread to see how underwhelmed many of us were to have picked this skinny half back flanker with a high pick.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

It's funny reading old comments on this thread to see how underwhelmed many of us were to have picked this skinny half back flanker with a high pick.

But from his first game it was clear he was going to be pretty special so the reservations didn't last long.

Why did we pick that player I haven't seen instead of that other player I haven't seen???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we all agree it seems like he has gone to yet another level?

He was already very good but I feel he has finally made the proper jump to being our clear cut best player and week in week out consistent difference maker.

I can't really think of another player that's so defensively sound yet so damaging, he is one of the most complete and well rounded players in the AFL.

The sort of player fans of other clubs start saying "we need a Will Day".

Do we all agree it seems like he has gone to yet another level?

He was already very good but I feel he has finally made the proper jump to being our clear cut best player and week in week out consistent difference maker.

I can't really think of another player that's so defensively sound yet so damaging, he is one of the most complete and well rounded players in the AFL.

The sort of player fans of other clubs start saying "we need a Will Day".
Definitely. He has great impact with almost everything he does on field. Even just with his handballing he has this ability to take an evasive step back with the ball to lure opposition towards him and then rip a handball back out to a teammate in the space he created for them.

And he still has heaps of scope for more improvement. More touches and direct scoreboard impact will elevate him.

Definitely. He has great impact with almost everything he does on field. Even just with his handballing he has this ability to take an evasive step back with the ball to lure opposition towards him and then rip a handball back out to a teammate in the space he created for them.

And he still has heaps of scope for more improvement. More touches and direct scoreboard impact will elevate him.
Last year was his break out in terms of playing midfield and playing a full consistently excellent season. This year is his break out in terms of impact on games.

Last year was his break out in terms of playing midfield and playing a full consistently excellent season. This year is his break out in terms of impact on games.
He's been creeping forward for some shots on goal this year too, unfortunately not running at a great clip with those. That's his next step - when he takes that step closer to being the best in the league.

He's been creeping forward for some shots on goal this year too, unfortunately not running at a great clip with those. That's his next step - when he takes that step closer to being the best in the league.
He's so good overhead, just floats cross or back peddles and reins in some lovely marks. Along with Newcombe we have a midfield thats pretty good with over the head marking.

What’s most impressive for mine is how he makes the right decisions when he doesn’t have the ball around stoppages.

He’s either pressuring the opposition when we don’t have the ball and when we do he’s either in the perfect position for a handball or he’s putting on a block to create space.

He’s always doing something to help the team.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back