Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re-watching the Hopper push that took out Day's shoulder- I cannot believe they called it friendly fire at the time and I cannot believe that that kind of push isn't reprimandable.
Puts players in a similarly vulnerable position as getting tunnelled.
**** Richmond are a dirty club- three of their six highlights in the official highlight real are them injuring Hawks players.
If they end up with a bunch of kids next year I truly hope we go after their senior players to reinforce that if you **** about, you're going to find out

Re-watching the Hopper push that took out Day's shoulder- I cannot believe they called it friendly fire at the time and I cannot believe that that kind of push isn't reprimandable.
Called it a dog act at the time and that hasnt changed my mind. Pushing someone into traffic is low- usually see it in a marking contest.

The ironic part in this was Nuke was the one who came off OK despite being the pushed player.

Was great smoking them twice this season- look forward to repeats next year.

**** Richmond are a dirty club- three of their six highlights in the official highlight real are them injuring Hawks players.
If they end up with a bunch of kids next year I truly hope we go after their senior players to reinforce that if you **** about, you're going to find out

The sheer volume of Tigers scumbaggrry and the injuries it’s caused us for a long time now, needs to be addressed in some way.

People have scoffed at previous suggestions it’s a thing.

It has been though, since the last time we played them in a final. There’s consistently been some pissweak hack like Vlaustim etc. beating up on our kids for a good half decade now.

The sheer volume of Tigers scumbaggrry and the injuries it’s caused us for a long time now, needs to be addressed in some way.

People have scoffed at previous suggestions it’s a thing.

It has been though, since the last time we played them in a final. There’s consistently been some pissweak hack like Vlaustim etc. beating up on our kids for a good half decade now.
Next year we need to go full Cobra Kai and Sweep the Leg on these low down dirty snipers.

We owe them plenty.

No mercy!

Next year we need to go full Cobra Kai and Sweep the Leg on these low down dirty snipers.

We owe them plenty.

No mercy!

I don't know what you can do now without getting weeks, but if I have to watch another player get injured by a dirty sniping tiger who somehow is able to act with impunity, I'll choke on my coffee (have to stay up late to watch most games).

On that note, it also seems you can throw a coward's punch (Richards) at Calsher Dear in a final and not have anything come of it.

So I guess it's not just the Tigers who get away with this nonsense. But they are over represented in these types of incidents imo. It's spud central there now too. They carried so many through their hot streak, it was inevitable it would wind up a crappy potato farm.

The AFL shouldn't ever look like country footy in the 80s, where there was always some pedestrian hack trying to stitch up junior players though. It should be weeks for a lot of this stuff, pushing a player into traffic almost the most obvious imo.

Last edited:

Not a doubt in my mind their will be retribution

Beat them on the scoreboard. That is all that counts.

It’s the most important thing, no argument there.

But we all saw the worm turn for our team culturally in real time during the line in the sand game.

We’re obviously a long way ahead of the team from that era.

But having an open door policy to intimidation invites it as a weapon or tool for other sides.

Shelving that approach is a genuine stepping stone for us moving forward. Teams will come after us in closely matched contests while we’re still developing.

It can cost you games that you might otherwise win too.

It's not all that counts when it ends up knocking your best player out of the finals.

Put Day into that side for the finals and who knows what would have happened....

We would have at least made it to Sydney, and if we'd been on for that one, we wind up playing a team we have beaten in recent times at home.

Lost opportunity. A fit Day runs out against Port and we improve enough to win at least the first of the three we would have needed to.

I like Day's odd @ $100 next year for the Brownlow, think he will be the type who goes up another level with sustained team success. Only worry is Newcombe pinching votes but maybe they can both be dual winners ;) ???

I like Day's odd @ $100 next year for the Brownlow, think he will be the type who goes up another level with sustained team success. Only worry is Newcombe pinching votes but maybe they can both be dual winners ;) ???
Looking at the list of previous Brownlow winners there's a clear pattern in who wins and gets votes. Centre square mids who accumulate a lot of ball, and centre square mids who can burst away from stoppages with ball in hand to create scores. Or both.

Day is more of a quality over quantity player when it comes to disposals and while he can impact games from the centre square he still spends a lot of time doing his great work all over the ground. His position versatility and tendency to not just accumulate an additional 10-15 cheap touches on top of 15-20 impactful ones means he'll probably poll like the Bont during his career.

Newcombe will remain our primary vote getter in the Brownlow. Everything about how he plays is conducive to polling Brownlow votes.

That all said, Day has been playing quite defensively at clearances. With our backline bolstered we might see him shift into a more attacking midfield role. Add an extra half dozen quality disposals in the forward half to his stat sheet and get him averaging around a goal a game and I could see it turning.

Looking at the list of previous Brownlow winners there's a clear pattern in who wins and gets votes. Centre square mids who accumulate a lot of ball, and centre square mids who can burst away from stoppages with ball in hand to create scores. Or both.

Day is more of a quality over quantity player when it comes to disposals and while he can impact games from the centre square he still spends a lot of time doing his great work all over the ground. His position versatility and tendency to not just accumulate an additional 10-15 cheap touches on top of 15-20 impactful ones means he'll probably poll like the Bont during his career.

Newcombe will remain our primary vote getter in the Brownlow. Everything about how he plays is conducive to polling Brownlow votes.

That all said, Day has been playing quite defensively at clearances. With our backline bolstered we might see him shift into a more attacking midfield role. Add an extra half dozen quality disposals in the forward half to his stat sheet and get him averaging around a goal a game and I could see it turning.
Reasonable and fair assessment and I agree with the majority of what you say. My only caveat is that James Hird won a brownlow albeit many years ago, however I see similarities in game day responsibilities with Days game as what Hird had before him. So there has been precedent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reasonable and fair assessment and I agree with the majority of what you say. My only caveat is that James Hird won a brownlow albeit many years ago, however I see similarities in game day responsibilities with Days game as what Hird had before him. So there has been precedent
I totally see the Hird comparison, and if the Brownlow was really about who the best player is, or even who the best midfielder is then I could definitely see Day entering that conversation.

But the pattern I see is that the Brownlow has steadily gone from "a midfielders award" to "a specific type of midfielders award", and unfortunately, he isn't that type of midfielder - he's actually a better, rarer and more valuable type of midfielder.

I agree. I see Day’s role as similar to Hodge and Burgoyne. Both spent time in the middle but not full time as they had the ability to impact and win matches all across the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back