Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t worry too much about where he fits, so many players end up playing elsewhere on the ground.

He brings something different, we don’t have many athletes like him. I like that we are starting to get some pod’s on the list.

Been very vanilla for a while, which is not a bad thing. But we have lacked the supporting cast around them and I think we are starting to improve that area of our list.

He has a lot of tools to work with.

Last edited:
Scope to play in the midfield or on a wing?
His kicking under pressure is the only thing holding him back from being that type of mid. I shouldn't even say under pressure, just on the move through contact. Put it this way guys, if Ginbey was so good as a back that WA and East Perth couldn't afford to run him as a midfielder he wouldn't even be in contention for the first round. Weddle was such a good defender at his level his teams wouldn't move him out of the backline. He almost single-handedly tanked Harry Lemmey's draft stock. We've done the work on him and reckon he can run it as a mid or a forward, that's why we've picked him.

I would read in to it that we rate Josh very highly over anything else, we are still in the get in as much talent as possible part of the rebuild. Says more about him then it does about the current players on our list.

Clearly we thought he was
With what we paid in the trade we obviously rate this kid very, very highly.

I do like the fact that he is already 92kg and an athlete. Got an AFL build and athletic capability from the start which helps.

Could be that we use him as on old fashioned high impact swingman and throw him back and forwards?

Will be fascinating to see what Sam does with this kid the next couple of years.

Seems a very high price.....

Did we give up OUR F2 and F3, or the ones tied to the Dogs? Hope its the latter.

What position is he? Surely we didn't recruit another defender. Possibly a move into the midfield? We must have been really keen

Did we give up OUR F2 and F3, or the ones tied to the Dogs? Hope its the latter.

What position is he? Surely we didn't recruit another defender. Possibly a move into the midfield? We must have been really keen
If McCabe does up going late first/early second, this will be a brilliant trade!

Frustrating these details take a while to be clarified.

It is atrocious that it is not clear what was part of the pick swap.

Pick 24(27) is gone… that is known. but what else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Trade is in’

Scooby Doo What GIF by Boomerang Official

End of the day if club has traded up to 18 to get him they know he's got the goods.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That is not in question. Weddle looks great. But I want to know about the opportunity cost… Yet the AFL are incapable of simple transparency on pick swaps.

I am not melting 🫠 on the player choice, just the lack of info on the choice.

Can anyone tell me what we swapped to get the live pick 18?

Last edited:
Definitely wasn't going to last to our next pick.
Cal had him being picked at 15, which is what he was picked at if you remove the Dogs and Swans bidding chicanery. If the trade was framed as 24, ~24, and ~44 for 14 I don't think people would be as mad but that is ostensibly what it was considering we only had access to non-father-son and academy players irrespective of what number they ended up being taken. We got our guy, we paid a price we thought was fair for him. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get a cartoon bug tattooed on my forearm.

Super happy we moved up to grab a big player - we are desperate for key talls

I feel the same.
As Chopflop astutely pointed out in his draft post, 192cm is big enough to be a key defender (May at 193cm etc) especially when you have a vertical of 78cm and a running vertical of 90cm, as well as strength and nouse as a one-on-one defender.

I don't think Josh needs to turn into a midfielder to be steal at pick 18. What would you give for a Rance or a May? Or even a Stratton (with an athleticism upgrade)?

I'm hopng this kid can be a brick wall in our next Premiership - whether that's as a first, second or third tall defender.

Welcome Josh ... and that family celebration was something else!

Mark McKenzie said to HFC media that they see Weddle pushing up onto the wing and with his attributes at 192cm the sky is the limit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back