Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

He's the best runner I've seen play the game.

His tank is wasted in defence.
He’d be right up there with Riewoldt. I wonder if he could play the same sort of role?

Just someone always providing an option in the front half. Combined with Moore we’d always have a free target coming out of defence to hit.

He’d be right up there with Riewoldt. I wonder if he could play the same sort of role?

Just someone always providing an option in the front half. Combined with Moore we’d always have a free target coming out of defence to hit.

I think he could.

He could average 8+ marks a game if he played a similar HFF role to Moore and Macdonald.

Push right up the ground and be a link-man, or be an outlet on the outside around packs, and then burn anyone running towards goal.

His opponent would have to be several metres goalside of him at all time when we have the chance to break-away, which would also give Weddle some space to move. It would be a nightmare matchup.

What a great 'mature' game from Weddle this week. He has also shown to be a very quick learner.

He had a few bad defensive moments against GWS last week, particularly being out marked from behind a couple of times.

Notice the highlights from yesterday, he was in similar situations and strongly killed the ball out of bounds. Once against McKay and then on the wing. Great powerful defence

What a great 'mature' game from Weddle this week. He has also shown to be a very quick learner.

He had a few bad defensive moments against GWS last week, particularly being out marked from behind a couple of times.

Notice the highlights from yesterday, he was in similar situations and strongly killed the ball out of bounds. Once against McKay and then on the wing. Great powerful defence

Has some traits that just leave your jaw on the flaw. Once the consistency and decision making level up, it's hard not to get carried away with what he might be able to do to a game.

Just drifting in here and there atm to make it look like he's on another level.

Scary good.

If there is one thing Sam has been keeping up his sleeve to unleash in a finals campaign it would have to be Weddle to CHF.

With his running power he could still get back to help the backline out, fill the hole, etc. My only concerns would be if the opposition midfield got on top with centre clearances and unpressured inside 50's, or if Sicily's shoulder troubled him. But then you could just move Weddle back.

However if our team pressure is on point, generating turnovers, keeping the ball in our forward half, then he would be right in the action more often. Streaming forward to deliver it deep inside 50, or even a decent chance to go himself from the arc.

He has match winner written all over him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weddle nominated for Goal of the Year

Gotta be Weddle, if not on the basis of being the best goal (I still think it is) but 100% the best celebration, crowd reaction and setting. Miers' goal hardly belongs... the crowd went mild for that one.

It's still hard to believe how incredible that draft night live trade was. Many draft experts had Weddle in the 20-30 range, so the live trade was initially seen as paying well overs just to take yet another "back flanker".

I'm still not sure Mark McKenzie could envision Weddle being this good, but that's now a headache for 17 other coaches to deal with each week for the next 10+ years.

I think he could.

He could average 8+ marks a game if he played a similar HFF role to Moore and Macdonald.

Push right up the ground and be a link-man, or be an outlet on the outside around packs, and then burn anyone running towards goal.

His opponent would have to be several metres goalside of him at all time when we have the chance to break-away, which would also give Weddle some space to move. It would be a nightmare matchup.
I think CHF/HFF in that Riewoldt/Pavlich roaming role is the highest and best use. Can pinch hit in the middle as well, be in ruck, mid or wing. He's a unicorn.

totally agree. Wardlaw gets a lot of media praise for a bloke whose kicking is meh. Sure he hunts the ball for a half of footy before he tires, but his disposal needs a lot of work. Sheezel and Ashcroft are top shelf, but again, we would laugh at any proposal to trade him for either. Weddle is a unicorn.
Not swapping him for anyone
We have another 15 years of this bloke

Oh boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back