Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see much benefit of Weddle in CBAs - but I thnk there could be a new kind of CHF type role where he just patrols the centre square as a marking target with huge running power
Would love to see him burst through the CBA coming off the back of the square. Bit risky if the opposition win the clearance though.

Surely his best role (if team balance allows) would be a roving wingman given his running power? The ideal wingman is able to drop back to help out the defence (check), provide an outlet option on the way out of defence (check), run the length of the field at pace to provide a link option (check) and push hard forward to provide an option forward on rebound (check). He can also do this all day allowing more rotation of our HFF's and Mid's.

About the only real deficiency I would see in him as a winger (at least to date) is that his disposal isnt the best so the kicks into the forward line wont have the penetration of Mass or Karl. The other downside is that given so much play runs through one wing or the other, you run the risk of either Mass or Weddle being out of the action for long parts.

Surely his best role (if team balance allows) would be a roving wingman given his running power? The ideal wingman is able to drop back to help out the defence (check), provide an outlet option on the way out of defence (check), run the length of the field at pace to provide a link option (check) and push hard forward to provide an option forward on rebound (check). He can also do this all day allowing more rotation of our HFF's and Mid's.

About the only real deficiency I would see in him as a winger (at least to date) is that his disposal isnt the best so the kicks into the forward line wont have the penetration of Mass or Karl. The other downside is that given so much play runs through one wing or the other, you run the risk of either Mass or Weddle being out of the action for long parts.
I am not too worried about his kicking, i think his penetration is fine and with time it is neat. Wouldn't be the most elite kick in that role but serviceable enough. One thing i like about him on a wing is what a nightmare match up he would be for some. I guarantee a lot of the pure outside guys will look at him and want no part of that match up.

It's also hard because any time someone suggests a position for him my mind instantly just goes to 'but i want him to play x position as well'.

He can kick it a mile, I don't think kicking penetration would be an issue for him at all.

I think have him play like Jezza Cameron, then he's not tied to the wing where the game might go past him, he can come high and go where he wants, with Blicavs retired he's probably the best endurance runner in the comp, so good luck matching up on him. He can ping a goal from 50 which is important in that role, and when he ends up in the forward line he can take a grab, that game early in the year when we were struggling they played him in the forward line for a quarter, when he led at the ball it was quite a site to behold.

It just makes sense to me.

The Perryman pursuit seems to be for him to play wing, which might suggest that there is a different plan for Weddle.

I think have him play like Jezza Cameron, then he's not tied to the wing where the game might go past him, he can come high and go where he wants, with Blicavs retired he's probably the best endurance runner in the comp, so good luck matching up on him. He can ping a goal from 50 which is important in that role, and when he ends up in the forward line he can take a grab, that game early in the year when we were struggling they played him in the forward line for a quarter, when he led at the ball it was quite a site to behold.

It just makes sense to me.

The Perryman pursuit seems to be for him to play wing, which might suggest that there is a different plan for Weddle.
I see weddle as the middle winger, whether he plays lays in defence or attack he gets the open field in all direction to work with the ball.

Even if he doesn’t get the ball he stretches the field and worries defenders

On the position thing, how good was he in the Ruck at times. I think he was in a boundary throw in in the back flank against Xerri and then just took off and was essentially playing loose as all the North Mids had other Mids to pick up, and there is no way in hell a ruckman is getting anywhere near Weddle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back