Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plays next week. Was one of the few at times who could read the game that we needed to move the ball on quicker. The bit where he won a free and only stuck a foot back behind the mark before bursting away while the opposition argued with the ump was great thinking. That play gave us a chance at kicking into 50 without half the Eagles side present.

Plays next week. Was one of the few at times who could read the game that we needed to move the ball on quicker. The bit where he won a free and only stuck a foot back behind the mark before bursting away while the opposition argued with the ump was great thinking. That play gave us a chance at kicking into 50 without half the Eagles side present.
Showed some real smarts didn't it.

He is in the AC Hawks Accelerations Program :D.

Have to remember the kid has no fitness base whatsoever. 5 games of AFL in two years, eased into preseason, had the plate removed from his leg which was another few months on the sidelines. The very fact he's in the side right now speaks volumes about his talent.

This game he was lost as a forward, but then he didn't make any glaring mistakes and was clean and tidy with disposal. Sicily kicked two but had some seriously poor defensive efforts that let West Coast rebound and stuffed up chains of play. The only real mistake I remember Burton doing was misjudging the ball and letting him in slip through his hands when going for a mark. When placed in the backline he was cool under pressure, had disposal that wasn't unpanicked and some serious efforts that highlighted his football smarts.

Take into consideration the whole side took two contested marks for the day. The delivery into our forwardline was unbelievably shocking and it was only when we lowered out eyes (too rare) that we got a shot at goal: Gunston was quiet, resting ruckman was quiet, Bruest was quiet, Puopolo was quiet, Rioli was quiet. Sicily kicked two goals but none of them were from good delivery or marking and even then they were half chances that went his way. He missed a shot from 15 metres out on a slight angle.

Does Burton play next week? If Shoenmakers is fit probably not. He struggled to impact the game as a second gamer forward that doesn't have fitness, on a day where our legends couldn't impact up forward and the delivery was terrible or fantastic if you judge how regularly they pinpointed McGovern. He was far from our worst player on the day and wouldn't mind him keeping his spot, but realistically he probably needs one solid preseason before we play him in finals.

Nice to introduce him to senior footy but we can't have him in the side for finals footy this year. We are getting destroyed by opposition talls who read the ball well coming into our forward line. The last three weeks we have been bombing it into Gawn, Tarrant and McGovern. Need one of Shoe or Spangher to play, keep those types accountable and bring the ball to ground

I was a bit confused by his role last night. Seems everyone on here is saying he played forward, but the most I saw of him was in the back half (even in the first half I though). Upped the time on ground to 77%. Still needs to be upwards of 80 to play a final I reckon.

Good smarts, keep him in I say. We could do with the x-factor. Others to go out before him.

Disagree completely. If Sicily doesn't play, that's 1 senior game in 4 weeks (missed last week, and a bye between round 23 and finals). Same reason TOB, or Schoey, or Spangher (or even Fitz, if Ceglar is injured) could be really important inclusions next week, because all of them need as much time to build into finals as possible. Perhaps Burton keeps his spot, but i'd probably suggest he loses it to one of those 4, simply because we can't afford to be outmarked and not bring the ball to ground like tonight

Sicily can play in the VFL to keep his fitness up.

Sicily can play in the VFL to keep his fitness up.

It's not about fitness, it's about the step up in intensity. Do we really want Sicily coming into finals having played 1 AFL game in 5 weeks? And let's just say we win in week 1, that would see him coming into the prelim having played 2 games in 7 weeks. Sicily needs to play.

He's a natural at the level.

Obviously hasn't put it all together yet, but I've seen enough to suggest that he will be a serious player once he picks up the little things that will work in his favour.

He already presents well, gets to contests....just got to get first hands to a couple and build from there.

Has a seriously high footy iq. As mentioned previously the 'put one foot behind the mark then play on' moment showed great nous. There was also a contest on half back where he refused to go to ground and won/broke even in a few one on ones before soccering the ball backwards to a teammate so we could reset. Not sure if he keeps his spot but those efforts are sure to be highlighted during the review of the game.

He's a natural at the level.

Obviously hasn't put it all together yet, but I've seen enough to suggest that he will be a serious player once he picks up the little things that will work in his favour.

He already presents well, gets to contests....just got to get first hands to a couple and build from there.

He is promising, but one area which is critical is forward pressure, and he's still learning. He needs more time.

In finals, he's not experienced enough to risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is promising, but one area which is critical is forward pressure, and he's still learning. He needs more time.

In finals, he's not experienced enough to risk.

On the flip side, opposition analysis would have very little on how to defend him. They could point out his preferred kicking foot, how he parts his hair, and little more, because he just hasn't had much game time. In a year when we're looking less and less likely as the weeks roll on, it may just be the roll of the dice we have to have. Granted, I feel better knowing guys like Rioli, Poppy, Breust and Gunners would be around him.

He has exactly the same amount of finals experience as Sis, TOB and Brand.

He is only just 21, 16 and 9 ALF games, a few pre-seasons, and pretty much all of 2016, behind these three. :)

Where is your sense adventure? :)

Let the chips fall where they may.

I'd love to see Burton do well on the finals, I believe he has an x-factor and the attacking weapons.

but our forward pressure was non existent on Friday, whereas it is the one factor which wins us games.

I don't think he's learned enough to play his part

I remember some people saying we couldn't take an inexperienced Langford into 2014 grand final, and that we couldn't take Schoenmakers into a 2015 grand final.
Langford actually played just under 20 games in 2014, and Schoey when fit has been in our side for a fair while now. There is a different case there, he has only played 2 games and not even many VFL games.
I don't know if taking him into the finals is the best path for us, but I'll trust our decision on him either way because he definitely excites. Brand and Sicily have spent a fair few years in our system now so there is not a fair comparison there, and I do wonder just how many kids we can afford to take? One or two doesn't bother me at all but at a certain point it could hurt us ... or add a bit of spark, who knows.

I'll pass that onto Clarko.

Interestingly, Clarko gave a talk at a friend's basketball team, a few weeks ago.
They are heading for the finals, and asked Clarko to talk about finals pressure, etc.

One point Clark made was that in big games, particularly finals, he would never rely on inexperienced players, especially those in the 19-20 age group. He said he found older players mentally stronger in the heat of the game.

I'm interested to see if that applies here.

Interestingly, Clarko gave a talk at a friend's basketball team, a few weeks ago.
They are heading for the finals, and asked Clarko to talk about finals pressure, etc.

One point Clark made was that in big games, particularly finals, he would never rely on inexperienced players, especially those in the 19-20 age group. He said he found older players mentally stronger in the heat of the game.

Interesting. I do think Clarko has a very high opinion of Burton, so he will decide if he considers he is mentally strong enough.

Personally, I think his mental strength is probably stronger than his physical strength, due to his limited preparation.

Same apparently applies to swimmers, not just basketballers. :p Or maybe that's exclusively Australian...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back