Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Morrissey did some freakish things, but Chris Mew is on of the all time greats.

The problem with Chris Mew is that he's sort of overshadowed by Langford and Moore, even though he was equally as good. I personally didn't realise how good he was until he came out of that mini-retirement.

So to summarise, Ryan Burton is:
  1. Savior of the Universe
  2. He'll save every one of us
  3. He's a miracle
  4. King of the impossible
  5. He's for every one of us
  6. Stand for every one of us
  7. Just a man, with a man's courage
  8. You know he's nothing but a man and he can never fail
  9. No one but the pure at heart may find the Golden Grail
Good work getting him to the club GW :thumbsu:

3. He's a miracle
I may have sung that in my head while reading it

Red card to burger09...

9aU5g.gif

;)

The strange thing is, if #1 is for the members, why don't you see anyone in the crowd with 1 on the back of their jumper? Because no player wears it, that's why. I could understand the club holding back #5 for awhile after Crimmo passed away, but I cannot understand holding back #1.

They sucked you in big fella, they put it aside for O'Meara.

Muston: 13 games, 8 goals, 15 possessions per game.
Burton:3 games, 1 goal, 11 possessions per game.
Luke Lowden:
1 game, 3 goals, 12 possessions, 6 hitouts... F*** me, we should sign that guy!

Are you for real? 'Yet to convince you'?

- One was playing as an inside midfielder - the other as a forward/back flanker.
- Muston was 21ish whilst Burton is 19ish.

If you want to hunt meaningless stats hard enough, you'll end up 'proving' anything - like Luke Lowden being the 14th most effective debut of all-time. Yet he never played another AFL game. But you're right, he's heaps better than Beau Muston & Burton combined:rolleyes:

Luke Lowden:
1 game, 3 goals, 12 possessions, 6 hitouts... F*** me, we should sign that guy!

Are you for real? 'Yet to convince you'?

- One was playing as an inside midfielder - the other as a forward/back flanker.
- Muston was 21ish whilst Burton is 19ish.

If you want to hunt meaningless stats hard enough, you'll end up 'proving' anything - like Luke Lowden being the 14th most effective debut of all-time. Yet he never played another AFL game. But you're right, he's heaps better than Beau Muston & Burton combined:rolleyes:
Muston wasn't anybody's idea of an inside midfielder.
He debuted sweeping behind the ball and had one of the most prolific debuts ever.
His form then dropped in the subsequent two games and stayed around the mark. This is where Burton finds himself now - playing defensive side of the ball.
Recovered from an injury, playing behind the ball and showing glimpses.
He has yet to prove himself beyond the level Muston had.

Hardly a controversial statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Muston ........

The controversial part is that through connecting the two players, you are suggesting it likely Burton's career will similarly sputter out and fail in short order.

That's a shitty thing to say about a young man starting out, one who has given absolutely no reason for that impression to be raised.
If you've said the exact same thing about EVERY player starting out his career at the Hawks, at about the same number of games in, then yours is simply a comic (slightly tool'ish) line to remind everyone not to get to excited about any player's burgeoning career, that it doesn't always end well.

If you've only picked out Burton to make the assertion, then Abasi is fair and correct in his assessment of you.

He debuted sweeping behind the ball and had one of the most prolific debuts ever.
His form then dropped in the subsequent two games and stayed around the mark. This is where Burton finds himself now - playing defensive side of the ball.

That's ridiculous.

1) The behind the ball role in today's game is vitally more important than it was when Musto played

2) Burton was even honoured with the responsibility of kicking out after a behind which I thought was a big feather in his cap

3) Clarko is on record as saying they thought Burton was the best player we had to replace Stratton - suggesting he wasn't some bloke playing loose down back but had a defensive role to play too

Oh damn it, i've taken the bait... you're trolling right????

That's ridiculous.

1) The behind the ball role in today's game is vitally more important than it was when Musto played

2) Burton was even honoured with the responsibility of kicking out after a behind which I thought was a big feather in his cap

3) Clarko is on record as saying they thought Burton was the best player we had to replace Stratton - suggesting he wasn't some bloke playing loose down back but had a defensive role to play too

Oh damn it, i've taken the bait... you're trolling right????

Wow did he really?

That's gotta spell the end for Litherland if true.

Burtons few games this year have not been the reason for the excitement around the lad.
If you see him train for 5 mins and have half an idea about football you're sold.

The problem with Chris Mew is that he's sort of overshadowed by Langford and Moore, even though he was equally as good. I personally didn't realise how good he was until he came out of that mini-retirement.

Chris was such a wonderfully balanced player, could produce amazing skills without even looking he was out of 1st gear. One of my pet hates in footy is players who lose their feet for no apparent reason. Couldn't say this about Mew. I'm not sure about the "overshadowed" part, he WAS selected at Centre Half Back in the Team of the Century ahead of the great Peter Knights who made his way over to the flank :)

Peter Knights .... now he was something to see. A pleasure to watch.

You are great contributor to this board over the many days you have been here. Please carry on with your pessimism as it is a real winner with your fellow hawks.
I don't think it's a serious account, I'm pretty sure that it's Shakespeare behind it. I think Abasi kind of confirmed that in a reply a few days ago.

Muston: 13 games, 8 goals, 15 possessions per game.
Burton:3 games, 1 goal, 11 possessions per game.
With your forst statement (nothing has convinced me..... blah blah), I was willing to think yeah three games no matter how good they are could be considered unconvincing.
But to quote those particular stats presents you as knowing nothing about the game.
So:
a) you are either trolling,
b) you know nothing about Australian rules football
c) you are shakespeare in a third persona trying to be even more negative than usual
d) you aren't a hawthorn supporter.

If it's c) nice work, otherwise read this:
aussie-rules-for-dummies-2nd-edition.jpg

Chris was such a wonderfully balanced player, could produce amazing skills without even looking he was out of 1st gear. One of my pet hates in footy is players who lose their feet for no apparent reason. Couldn't say this about Mew. I'm not sure about the "overshadowed" part, he WAS selected at Centre Half Back in the Team of the Century ahead of the great Peter Knights who made his way over to the flank :)

Peter Knights .... now he was something to see. A pleasure to watch.

Always felt Langers deserved the FB spot over Kel Moore.

3. He's a miracle

But we only have 6 hours to save the earth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back