Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 37, Henry Hustwaite - Debuts against the Dees!

Remove this Banner Ad

Could someone pls give us a summary of where he played and what he did well.

I know he has excellent composure and great ball handling.

How did his attributes translate to senior level?

Not many first gamers can have moments where they’re being tackled and surrounded by 4 opposition players … but can make time stand still. That’s an unbelievable trait for a first gamer.

Could someone pls give us a summary of where he played and what he did well.

I know he has excellent composure and great ball handling.

How did his attributes translate to senior level?
Played the same role and made a seamless transition. All the attributes he has displayed at Box Hill were on show; Poise, quick reflexes and good decision making under pressure.

He was great today, impressive debut.

Good forward pressure, created mismatches with his height. But most impressively, he showed every trait he has from U18s, VFL to AFL level the exact same. Slowed the game down but his hands were lightning, not many quicker in the game. Was creative and spread the ball by hand aswell, so it was clean, then quick and it was creative to a target. His foot skills were damaging with his silky left boot & finishing on display.

Fair bit to work with here, he was ultra impressive, and against a very good side.

Last edited:
HH has not been a big possession getter at Box Hill. He has not greatly influenced games at Box Hill. Cal Brown, Long and others have been much better.

My guess is that this game for HH was a taste from Sam. it is clear that others knew of Neuc’s hammy tightness long before his being pulled out of the game hence all of Hustwait’s family being there. All good.

And Henry out-performed. His first goal was great, his second goal he earned.

HH has great hands, a 195cm height, a nice left foot kicking technique that misses the mark too often ( work to be done) and a teen-ager‘s body.. not yet ready for AFL. He could be a mid like Pendlebury as well as a mid that goes fwd and marks the ball like the Bont. HH has potential written on his forehead.

Henry has multiple capabilities in front of him. But for all of his attributes, HH seems too be uncertain to become someone like the Bont. He has all but one of the Bonts traits… belief. Maybe today has given him some of that belief.

Henry: if you read this stuff. Don’t. But if you do…. 100% you could be one of the best goal kicking mids in this comp.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick Draw Fire GIF by GritTV

Fastest hands in the west

From another board...
Everyone's obsession with 193 big bodies midfielders needs to take a reality check in that there are very few of them and they're a unicorn you have to be lucky to unearth.
Well call us the land of Unicorns.

Great debut Henry, Very composed with hands used his height very effectively to get clean looks.

My favorite part is that he was our leading tackle maker. I always look out for that stat. Gives a great insight into who is cracking in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just like Newks first ever game against Sydney when he had 14 tackles!

I agree, shows a willingness to get down and dirty which is a non negotiable for an inside mid.

From another board...

Well call us the land of Unicorns.

Great debut Henry, Very composed with hands used his height very effectively to get clean looks.

Looks very good in a marking situation ok unlike some tall players who play midfield who may be tall but play small.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, we should chuck the Wiz in the midfield with the above so the opposition don't see him because they're too busy looking up.

Have the Wiz sit on Moore's shoulder as the 2nd ruckman.

Young Dewyyyyy said it - HH moves and plays the same at all levels, from juniors, to VFL, to AFL and at training. Super clean hands and moves like he's playing in a time warp.
It was a very exciting debut.

I thought it may take a few weeks for his strengths to shine in the seniors but he stepped up with aplomb and looked comfortable right off the bat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back