Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to take away from a disappointing game against Geelong, it's got to be the performance of this guy, Wiz, Chol, Worpel and the midfield having moments where it looked like it's old self.

Things are not as bad as they seem, we looked good when we were really rolling in the 2nd. Cats saved by the bell there or we'd have likely gone in with a lead.

Frenchie's two goals against the tide were really classy and awesome.
Stood up a lot in aerial contests when outnumbered or taller opponents (like he did last week against Gawn).
He's got it. Very important for him to get as much game time as possible.

He knows how to swim against the current, and that's a rare trait in a younger player.

I see a Burgoyne type traits in him, he's a guy who can lead by example to try and get things rolling our way.

Those goals were reminiscent of his game against Port last year, when we were getting smashed and he came on and helped get our mini revival started so that we weren't completely blown away.

Last edited:
He's all class, isn't he (no question mark because that's rhetorical).

Just needs another preseason or two to get his fitness base up and he won't be tiring in the second half of games.

I think maybe he could play across the HFF - he's a good mark and obviously a great kick into the F50, and can kick goals too.

Two weeks in a row he has been one out and made a spoil he really had no right to make and the ball has gone to his advantage, one was against Gawn who has 10-15cm on him. A slight tap on the ball to make the opposition fumble and runs away. The little things like this can win games in certain situations.

With another preseason his body is getting stronger fitter and more AFL conditioned …… his class/decision making is starting to shine through. Can’t wait until he reaches 50 games. With Day, Newk, Worps sides can’t tag them all!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With another preseason his body is getting stronger fitter and more AFL conditioned …… his class/decision making is starting to shine through. Can’t wait until he reaches 50 games. With Day, Newk, Worps sides can’t tag them all!
imagine if cam McKenzie becomes AA level like day, Newcombe and worps are approaching, maybe add on weddle to the wing and we would be unstoppable.

IF we can get our midfield together, fit and firing (and yeah sure, that's a pretty big 'if'), I lick my lips with succulent excitement - Day, Duke, Worps, Nash, Mackenzie etc. That's the makings of a flag-winning midfield...

Once Mackenzie and co. start to mature and we're btting deeper than last year's top 4, look out imo.

You won't be able to stop them all, and the rotations won't get soft when our previous frontliners need a breather.

Once Mackenzie and co. start to mature and we're btting deeper than last year's top 4, look out imo.

You won't be able to stop them all, and the rotations won't get soft when our previous frontliners need a breather.
It's a sweet balance of toughness and class.

IF we can get our midfield together, fit and firing (and yeah sure, that's a pretty big 'if'), I lick my lips with succulent excitement - Day, Duke, Worps, Nash, Mackenzie etc. That's the makings of a flag-winning midfield...
I’m hoping that all our forwards will eventually get sponsorship deals with Lip Balm🤞

Just 64% Time On Ground, still limited midfield time, only 15 disposals, yet he was just about our most influential player on the ground. He is easily my favourite player. And I think he can be the best of all our young stars. He's going to send Collingwood to the April Sun In Cuba on Sunday.

What stood out to me yesterday (maybe because it was right in front of me) was a contest a couple minutes into the third quarter where he burst through a player and fended off another to get the handball (to Worpel? not sure). Didn't know he had that in his repertoire. Will be a weapon after a couple more preseasons.

What stood out to me yesterday (maybe because it was right in front of me) was a contest a couple minutes into the third quarter where he burst through a player and fended off another to get the handball (to Worpel? not sure). Didn't know he had that in his repertoire. Will be a weapon after a couple more preseasons.
Imagine what happened when he gets three more pre seasons of strength and conditioning under his belt. He's got short arms which are perfect for those bursts of strength to get the space required for a clean disposal. I think Mitch might have had a chat to him after round 1 about aggression at the ball because since that game he has been ferocious in his attack on the footy that has lead to multiple intercepts and forced turnovers where our other midfielders seem content to target the player and play the apace. Him, Ward, Day, and Newc will lead our midfield to a lot of success and it's important to get games into their legs.

Imagine what happened when he gets three more pre seasons of strength and conditioning under his belt. He's got short arms which are perfect for those bursts of strength to get the space required for a clean disposal. I think Mitch might have had a chat to him after round 1 about aggression at the ball because since that game he has been ferocious in his attack on the footy that has lead to multiple intercepts and forced turnovers where our other midfielders seem content to target the player and play the apace. Him, Ward, Day, and Newc will lead our midfield to a lot of success and it's important to get games into their legs.
Is arm length the new hand size?

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back