Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tim Mohr - pick 43 2018 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...Vaw01dzxx7fdqxEitJRkz_9Y6&cshid=1542960287099

For those of you who are interested I've posted a podcast interview with Emma Quayle done earlier this year, as part of a series with all our original list.

He'll be missed as a character around the club. I see him as a nightwatchman. The guy we sent in as a last line defender when we were crap to try and hold it together. Injuries and the development of our younger guys left him behind in better days.

Any views on Walker?

Any views on Walker?
I honestly dont know much about him. I see some of the academy kids play NEAFL, but Walker had access to the TAC cup, and we leave them there. They have access to appropriate standard comp.

I wouldn't read too much into us not matching. We actually bid on a minority of the academy kids we nominate. This year one of 5. I think it's likely the academy would have cooperated with your recruiters, they would be happy to see him make an AFL list.

By all reports, champion bloke, great clubman but cannot get excited about this selections.

Having watched him in the NEAFL many times and when he played seniors for GWS, the guy is a liability. You think Frawley is bad with ball in hand, Mohr is even sloppier. Turning circle of the QE2 and slow. In all honesty it would have been better bring the big Kiwi Heatherly back as insurance.

I really hope I am proved wrong but this is a very bizarre selection. The fact he has played only 47 games in 8 years when GWS was a developing team and he was seen as "experience", says it all, injuries and all.

Great addition to Box Hill however, our season isn't going well if he is playing seniors one way or the other - form or injuries.

By all reports, champion bloke, great clubman but cannot get excited about this selections.

Having watched him in the NEAFL many times and when he played seniors for GWS, the guy is a liability. You think Frawley is bad with ball in hand, Mohr is even sloppier. Turning circle of the QE2 and slow. In all honesty it would have been better bring the big Kiwi Heatherly back as insurance.

I really hope I am proved wrong but this is a very bizarre selection. The fact he has played only 47 games in 8 years when GWS was a developing team and he was seen as "experience", says it all, injuries and all.

Great addition to Box Hill however, our season isn't going well if he is playing seniors one way or the other - form or injuries.
He was our final rookie pick. Not often those guys get a gig.

If Chip and Brand are injured he will get a game

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Some people are talking like we traded a 1st round pick for the guy!

We used the last live pick we had in the ROOKIE DRAFT, not the National Draft.

He only needs to be on our list for one year minimum.

He was the best Key defender in the VFL when he was drafted. He hasn’t had a full season since 2013 due to 2 knee recons and other injuries.

But the fact is he was recruited as depth in an area we lack genuine options, key defensive posts. Not mid-size, intercepting, or 3rd tall defenders.

We didn’t draft him to be in our best 22.

He will offer depth and that’s it. People need to realise that’s what his role is.

Last edited:

He's much taller than Heatherley and 14kgs heavier. I know who I'd want to be on Hawkins or other gorilla forwards.....not Kiwi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can confirm he is not a headcase I went to school with him and played junior footy with him. Watch and see how much he is liked within the club he is a great bloke. I hope he gets himself fit as he had had a terrible run with injuries. Remember a few years ago he was one of BT’s favourite players calling him the bear!
So another Spangher! That's awesome. Spoke to a Richmond fan about Spangher on the train platform one night. His son worked for Hawthorn and he was glowing in his praise of Spangher as a club man. Looks like Mohr is cut from the same cloth. Wonder if he can ear massage Franklin in a grand final.......

So another Spangher! That's awesome. Spoke to a Richmond fan about Spangher on the train platform one night. His son worked for Hawthorn and he was glowing in his praise of Spangher as a club man. Looks like Mohr is cut from the same cloth. Wonder if he can ear massage Franklin in a grand final.......

Like I said he is a great bloke , similar to Stratton in a way he’s a bit quirky but he is and will be well liked by everyone at the club. Great clubman to have!
He can play footy also don’t forget that and he has had a terrible run with injuries. If he can stay fit and play consistently at box hill he will be great for them and more than capable as depth if he needs to step up to seniors

We picked mirra with our last rookie pick last year and he played games and got an upgrade. He’s hoping Mohr can do the same. Hawks seem to think there’s some upside if we can get his body right. Doesn’t have a lot in front of him - only Frawley and brand are full back options with jury still out on brand. Would have preferred a younger player but understand the pick.

Both Mohr and Mirra smack strongly of picking great clubmen who also happen to fill a need. Very savvy for mine, for picks that high there's a chance they could go on to do nothing, but if they're good clubmen you're actually getting their real benefit on a daily basis around the club, mentoring younger kids, leading training and preparation. If they play any games, well that's a bonus.

Look at the accounts of Mirra at Kokoda this year, apparently he was a really strong leader.

We picked mirra with our last rookie pick last year and he played games and got an upgrade. He’s hoping Mohr can do the same. Hawks seem to think there’s some upside if we can get his body right. Doesn’t have a lot in front of him - only Frawley and brand are full back options with jury still out on brand. Would have preferred a younger player but understand the pick.
I dont think there's much wrong with his body, finally. He actually had a good off season last year. He was being talked up by Leon and Phil Davis early last year. He just couldn't convince the selection committee in the end.

We are overly strong in tall backs, but to be perfectly frank I'm surprised you'd prefer him to Heatherley who I thought looked really good at AO and against us in Launceston in 2017. I get the high performance guys have a lot more data and are better placed to make decisions though.

I dont think there's much wrong with his body, finally. He actually had a good off season last year. He was being talked up by Leon and Phil Davis early last year. He just couldn't convince the selection committee in the end.

We are overly strong in tall backs, but to be perfectly frank I'm surprised you'd prefer him to Heatherley who I thought looked really good at AO and against us in Launceston in 2017. I get the high performance guys have a lot more data and are better placed to make decisions though.
Heatherley was a very limited footballer, although made great progress in last 2-3 years.

Not saying Mohr is elite, but he provides back up for that big gorilla defender. Heatherley couldn't play that role, or wasn't his strength.

Heatherley was a very limited footballer, although made great progress in last 2-3 years.

Not saying Mohr is elite, but he provides back up for that big gorilla defender. Heatherley couldn't play that role, or wasn't his strength.
I'm only going off a couple of games. In NSW I dont follow the VFL at all. Leon said Mohr was in the mix to take Josh Kennedy last year. I think the semi would have close with Corr and Taylor out.

Keefe is somewhat similar and made himself surprisingly useful though. Mohr is actually more mobile and would be more useful in our zone, His legspeed off the mark is pretty good. But we dont really lack for mobility in defence. Given a simple job of taking Mihocek out he did that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tim Mohr - pick 43 2018 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back