News Welcome to Hawthorn Tyrone Vickery's cats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Or
3/ Vickery was poorly developed at Richmond in his most important development years (18-22) and therefore will never fullfil his potential. Exhibit (a) Richard Tambling

Disagree with this. They can be turned around but it does take time. Hello Josh Gibson !!!

It does make me wonder that maybe they only gave him two years to see if he could be turned... i.e. you've got two years or you can go somewhere else.

I've followed Ty's career quite closely, watching him at VFL in his first couple of years. I could be wrong and some might disagree with me, but here's one person's perspective anyway.

He's much better than people realise. Definitely not a spud. He's also genuinely intelligent and this usually correlates well with continuing to improve late in your career.

When he's standing still with ball in hand in the centre square, you can expect him to hit a smart handball to a player in space that you didn't realise was there, he's not a gangly tall. Pretty nimble sidestep too. He can play big, but you can tell he has a few midfielder smarts, which is partially why he was drafted at 8. I would have thought he'd be best in the ruck 70% of the time, but apparently he's told numerous people he hates playing ruck.

As a teenager, he would sook a little if the defender nicked his head with a spoiling attempt. He'd take forever getting up, and had a sour look on his face. But he's super confident and arrogant on some level in a good way. He'll be the first to jumper punch someone. Oh, and by the way, Dean Cox gave him a cheap shot first and he tried to swing and hit Cox back in the chest, but accidentally hit his face - the criticism he copped was totally unwarranted, but he just played it smart by apologising and not trying to make excuses. He was the victim in that scenario.

Off-field, Ty was close to Jake King for years on one hand (a loyal bogan), and Daniel Jackson on the other (intelligent rich kid). That always surprised me, he's also pretty witty and funny on camera. I'm probably wrong on the following, but I sometimes had half a hunch that he knew how to cheat a little and keep his goal averages up, knowing Dimma would never drop a tall averaging over a goal a game (until this year when he said he's out). However, he will want to call for the ball over the back... your leaders will need to stop him from requesting the easy option too often. After a few weeks, he might drift into old habits to keep his goal average up, but he'll hit the packs if you keep it positive.

You would be wrong to think he might either thrive under your system or prove to be a waste of space. He's not a waste of space, he's actually a really safe and low-risk goal kicker. He'll consistently kick 2 goals a game for the next few years, at his worst. He frustrates because he goes missing, not because he's a bad player, and you guys won't mind as much if he goes missing, and you pump the ball I50 more often than us anyway. Oh, as a marking player, he's better on the lead with space or over the back, he's not as strong as Roughead.

Just a few tid bits. Other Tiger supporters will disagree with some of it, but that's my impression of him over the past 8 years or so. He'll be a good player.

Disagree with this. They can be turned around but it does take time. Hello Josh Gibson !!!

It does make me wonder that maybe they only gave him two years to see if he could be turned... i.e. you've got two years or you can go somewhere else.

No comparison at all. Gibson had already showed very promising signs in the backline before North tried to turn him into a tagger due to some taller KPD's coming into their team.

Melbourne had the same problem. You only have to look at how the careers of Toumpas (who was a real talent and genuine top 3 pick) and Trengrove (albeit injured in recent years). These kids were jets and because of no or poor development programs never reached their full potential.

I've followed Ty's career quite closely, watching him at VFL in his first couple of years. I could be wrong and some might disagree with me, but here's one person's perspective anyway.

He's much better than people realise. When he's standing still with ball in hand in the centre square, you can expect him to hit a smart handball to a player in space that you didn't realise was there, he's not a gangly tall. Pretty nimble sidestep too. He can play big, but you can tell he has a few midfielder smarts, which is partially why he was drafted at 8. I would have thought he'd be best in the ruck 70% of the time, but apparently he's told numerous people he hates playing ruck.

As a teenager, he would sook if the defender nicked his head with a spoiling attempt. Would take forever getting up, and had a sour look on his face. But he's super confident and arrogant on some level in a good way. He'll be the first to jumper punch someone. Oh, and by the way, Dean Cox gave him a cheap shot first and he tried to swing and hit Cox back in the chest, but accidentally hit his face - the criticism he copped was totally unwarranted, but he just played it smart by apologising and not trying to make excuses. He was the victim in that scenario.

Off-field, Ty was close to Jake King for years on one hand (a loyal bogan), and Daniel Jackson on the other (intelligent rich kid). That always surprised me. I'm probably wrong on the following, but I always had half a hunch that he knew how to cheat a little and keep his goal averages up, knowing Dimma would never drop a tall averaging over a goal a game (until this year when he said he's out). However, he will want to call for the ball over the back... your leaders will need to stop him from requesting the easy option too often. After a few weeks, he'll get into old habits to keep his goal average up, but he'll hit the packs if you keep it positive.

You guys are wrong by thinking he might thrive under your system or potentially prove to be a waste of space. He's not a waste of space - he's actually a really safe and low-risk goal kicker. He'll consistently kick 2 goals a game for the next few years, at his worst. He frustrates because he goes missing, not because he's a bad player, and you guys won't mind as much if he goes missing, and you pump the ball I50 more often than us anyway. Oh, as a marking player, he's better on the lead with space or over the back, he's not as strong as Roughead.

Just a few tid bits. Other Tiger supporters will disagree with some of it, but that's my impression of him over the past 8 years or so. He'll be a good player.

Fair points. My thoughts are with our small forwards if he is trained to go to every ball and we kick to him, he will do better than what we currently have to mark or bring it to ground and Cyril, Breust and Poppy then come into the game.

The other things is I think we do better with play your roll than other teams.

He may be told, lead from FF, use your aggression and he does have that to hurt people, give our small guys opportunities but still get a few on the lead. In that regard he is a far better option than Schoey or Fitzy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's much better than people realise. When he's standing still with ball in hand in the centre square, you can expect him to hit a smart handball to a player in space that you didn't realise was there, he's not a gangly tall. Pretty nimble sidestep too. He can play big, but you can tell he has a few midfielder smarts, which is partially why he was drafted at 8. I would have thought he'd be best in the ruck 70% of the time, but apparently he's told numerous people he hates playing ruck.

As a teenager, he would sook if the defender nicked his head with a spoiling attempt. Would take forever getting up, and had a sour look on his face. But he's super confident and arrogant on some level in a good way. He'll be the first to jumper punch someone. Oh, and by the way, Dean Cox gave him a cheap shot first and he tried to swing and hit Cox back in the chest, but accidentally hit his face - the criticism he copped was totally unwarranted, but he just played it smart by apologising and not trying to make excuses. He was the victim in that scenario.

Off-field, Ty was close to Jake King for years on one hand (a loyal bogan), and Daniel Jackson on the other (intelligent rich kid). That always surprised me. I'm probably wrong on the following, but I always had half a hunch that he knew how to cheat a little and keep his goal averages up, knowing Dimma would never drop a tall averaging over a goal a game (until this year when he said he's out). However, he will want to call for the ball over the back... your leaders will need to stop him from requesting the easy option too often. After a few weeks, he'll get into old habits to keep his goal average up, but he'll hit the packs if you keep it positive.

You guys are wrong by thinking he might thrive under your system or potentially prove to be a waste of space. He's not a waste of space - he's actually a really safe and low-risk goal kicker. He'll consistently kick 2 goals a game for the next few years, at his worst. He frustrates because he goes missing, not because he's a bad player, and you guys won't mind as much if he goes missing, and you pump the ball I50 more often than us anyway. Oh, as a marking player, he's better on the lead with space or over the back, he's not as strong as Roughead.

Thanks that was a great read. Thanks for taking the time.

My question is whether he busted a gut at richmond. Was he a hard worker?

Fair points. My thoughts are with our small forwards if he is trained to go to every ball and we kick to him, he will do better than what we currently have to mark or bring it to ground and Cyril, Breust and Poppy then come into the game.

Hardwick is a strong advocate of your system to use big men to tap the ball down to smalls. He often talks about this in his weekly video summary on the RFC website, so I think Ty is well-trained at "providing a target" down the line with the purpose of deflecting the ball to your smalls, if that is what you meant.

Hardwick is a strong advocate of your system to use big men to tap the ball down to smalls. He often talks about this in his weekly video summary on the RFC website, so I think Ty is well-trained at "providing a target" down the line with the purpose of deflecting the ball to your smalls, if that is what you meant.

I think that is right. I believe we have the best smalls in the league but maybe the worst talls at bringing it down. Ty adds something new.

Angelo Lekkas put the kybosh on nathan $$$ brown
That's when he was a Bulldog.

He only became a Tiger after Lekkas and his manager Khouri sooked publicly that their pay packets might be affected.

Admittedly, our club admin was shit at the time, so I can't blame Lekkas totally...but it was a very un-Hawthorn-like effort all round.

Last edited:

He's much better than people realise. Definitely not a spud. He's also genuinely intelligent and this usually correlates well with continuing to improve late in your career.

When he's standing still with ball in hand in the centre square, you can expect him to hit a smart handball to a player in space that you didn't realise was there, he's not a gangly tall. Pretty nimble sidestep too. He can play big, but you can tell he has a few midfielder smarts, which is partially why he was drafted at 8. I would have thought he'd be best in the ruck 70% of the time, but apparently he's told numerous people he hates playing ruck.

As a teenager, he would sook a little if the defender nicked his head with a spoiling attempt. He'd take forever getting up, and had a sour look on his face. But he's super confident and arrogant on some level in a good way. He'll be the first to jumper punch someone. Oh, and by the way, Dean Cox gave him a cheap shot first and he tried to swing and hit Cox back in the chest, but accidentally hit his face - the criticism he copped was totally unwarranted, but he just played it smart by apologising and not trying to make excuses. He was the victim in that scenario.

Off-field, Ty was close to Jake King for years on one hand (a loyal bogan), and Daniel Jackson on the other (intelligent rich kid). That always surprised me, he's also pretty witty and funny on camera. I'm probably wrong on the following, but I sometimes had half a hunch that he knew how to cheat a little and keep his goal averages up, knowing Dimma would never drop a tall averaging over a goal a game (until this year when he said he's out). However, he will want to call for the ball over the back... your leaders will need to stop him from requesting the easy option too often. After a few weeks, he might drift into old habits to keep his goal average up, but he'll hit the packs if you keep it positive.

You would be wrong to think he might either thrive under your system or prove to be a waste of space. He's not a waste of space, he's actually a really safe and low-risk goal kicker. He'll consistently kick 2 goals a game for the next few years, at his worst. He frustrates because he goes missing, not because he's a bad player, and you guys won't mind as much if he goes missing, and you pump the ball I50 more often than us anyway. Oh, as a marking player, he's better on the lead with space or over the back, he's not as strong as Roughead.

Great insight, thanks.
I personally am optimistic and think he'll be good for us.
Now, to Mitchell and JOM...

Bernie and Shaw were pretty special at their first clubs......
I'd say Russell Greene should have been on the list
Agree Shaw has been pretty similar at GWS, the better the team goes the better he looks.

Didn't see enough of Vince before the move

I'd say Russell Greene should have been on the list
Agree Shaw has been pretty similar at GWS, the better the team goes the better he looks.

Didn't see enough of Vince before the move

Great call on Russell, was a very very good player for us for a long time after a nothing start at the Saints.
Actually preferred his career to Pritchard's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back