List Mgmt. Welcome to Luke Edwards (Pick 52, 2020 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

A role he's only put in because he must be fit.

Seems best suited to working in traffic with good composure and being able to move from inside to outside at a slow pace, not relying on power but smarts.

Not good enough to displace guys like Yeo, Kelly, Reid etc so is just doing what he has to to get games.

The role is a weird one and everyone seams to fail in it.

Bring back Masten I say!

Good for Luke to get a block of games in the senior squad.

Can anyone more knowledgeable about footy explain what role he is playing at the moment?

Is it wing? High Half forward?

Seems to get most of his possessions about 70-90m from goal.

Looks like Match Committee are fans of his even though his numbers are quite low, not a particularly effective kick, not one to do anything flashy.

From what I recall at the Suns game, he played a LOT of half forward as Hunt / Chesser were the main wingers.

Same again here, plays a lot of fat side winger / starts as a half forward quite a fair bit which probably limits his impact to some extent.

Not good enough in the contested stuff to be an inside mid as he's more interested in wrestling his opponent than actually trying to get the ball, but better on the outside where he utilises his best attribute which is his decision making.

I'm still hopeful as the AFL IQ is definitely there, but it's been pretty painful viewing the last couple of weeks and he's missed easy targets by foot when normally his kicking is pretty good.

A role he's only put in because he must be fit.

Seems best suited to working in traffic with good composure and being able to move from inside to outside at a slow pace, not relying on power but smarts.

Not good enough to displace guys like Yeo, Kelly, Reid etc so is just doing what he has to to get games.

The role is a weird one and everyone seams to fail in it.

Bring back Masten I say!
Probably the only role he's good at as when the game was hot and he got the ball the mind was ticking faster than the body and he got done BAAAALLLLL

Good for Luke to get a block of games in the senior squad.

Can anyone more knowledgeable about footy explain what role he is playing at the moment?

Is it wing? High Half forward?

Seems to get most of his possessions about 70-90m from goal.

Looks like Match Committee are fans of his even though his numbers are quite low, not a particularly effective kick, not one to do anything flashy.

The last few weeks it looks more like a high half forward role, almost as a defensive forward.

I’ve seen him start less as in the wing the last couple of weeks.

Long seems to have spent more time starting on the wing, along with Chesser and at times Hunt.

Small change that has gone largely unnoticed.

Article about getting his body right for the rigours of AFL. I guess the final sentence also sums up the mentality of playing on the dead wing.

Waalitj Marawar (West Coast) midfield Luke Edwards enjoying extended run after prioritising physical welfare​

Headshot of Ben Smith
Ben SmithThe West Australian
Sun, 19 May 2024 2:00AM

Luke Edwards has played eight of nine games this season.
Luke Edwards has played eight of nine games this season. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Young Waalitj Marawar (West Coast) midfielder Luke Edwards has credited an improved physical durability for his helping him nail down a consistent run in the senior side since his debut.

The 22-year-old South Australian played 25 AFL games across his first three years at the club, 14 of which came last year.
Edwards has played eight of the Eagles’ nine opening games of the season, with only a concussion suffered in the derby win over Walyalup (Fremantle) preventing him from playing every match.

After a groin injury scuppered his 2022 season and resulted in him playing just three games, Edwards realised he needed to put more time into getting his body AFL-ready.

“It’s been challenging over the last couple years, trying to understand my body and what it takes to be an AFL player and be playing consistent footy,” he said.

“It’s been a bit of a challenge, but I was able to do pretty much all of pre-season, which I haven’t been able to do since being here.”

The son of Crows great Tyson said it had taken him a while to adjust to the realities of life in the AFL system.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...e-because-of-business-class-seats--c-14688459
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/wa...ont-runner-in-narrms-caleb-windsor-c-14678859
“I’m spending more time on my body and spending more time in the gym or doing extra recovery; growing up, I probably hadn’t done a heap of that,” he said.

“It’s just exploring myself and seeing what my body can handle. I’ve had a few little injuries, but just to learn from it, that’s been good to have.”

After tallying 17 disposals and a goal against Collingwood, Edwards said the availability of several club veterans has taken a significant burden off the shoulders of the younger players.

ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 17:   Luke Edwards of the Eagles  marks  in front of  [PLAYERCARD]Willem Drew[/PLAYERCARD] of the Power during the round one AFL match between Port Adelaide Power and West Coast Eagles at Adelaide Oval, on March 17, 2024, in Adelaide, Australia. (Photo by Mark Brake/Getty Images via AFL Photos)
Edwards marks in front of Willem Drew of the Power. Credit: Mark Brake/Getty Images

“It started back in pre-season, when everyone came back fit and firing,” he said.

“It’s been good having a good balance of senior and younger boys. The senior boys have been looking after us a fair bit on the field, showing us the ropes and teaching us how we want to play our footy.”

Edwards said his mindset was geared around being versatile and adaptable while continuing to soak up tips of the trade from veterans such as Andrew Gaff — whose spot on the wing he has taken from the dual All-Australian.

“Keep building, keep growing, keep learning from those older guys, especially from Gaffy who I’ve spent a fair bit of time with and he’s been awesome to have around the club,” he said.

PERTH, AUSTRALIA - MAY 04: Dyson Heppell of the Bombers tackles Luke Edwards of the Eagles during the round eight AFL match between West Coast Eagles and Essendon Bombers at Optus Stadium, on May 04, 2024, in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images)
Dyson Heppell of the Bombers tackles Luke Edwards. Credit: Paul Kane/Getty Images

“I’ve been thrown around a little bit position-wise, playing up forward and inside and out on the wing.

“Being adaptable to play multiple roles and do what I need for the team by keep covering the ground well, and hopefully getting a kick of the footy as well.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back