Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Same feedback we're getting for Esava. The same issue we already have with Aliir. We already have about 5 others capable of playing on the 3rd tall. Looks like our list management team have done a cracking job of fixing our biggest list hole
You would hope Ratogulea will be able to at least body up against the gorillas and bring the ball to ground.
Some good defensive coaching may help, but that is assuming the club is going to appoint some one `good' to the role, and not just another in house leftover.

Obviously no guarantees with either him or BZT but at least we do have some height in defence now, unlike the bad old days when Carlile was our tallest defender in a game against geebung, and Podsiadly who was playing the 3rd tall fwd role in that game could have rested his chin on the top of Tom Clurey's head.

You would hope Ratogulea will be able to at least body up against the gorillas and bring the ball to ground.
Some good defensive coaching may help, but that is assuming the club is going to appoint some one `good' to the role, and not just another in house leftover.

Obviously no guarantees with either him or BZT but at least we do have some height in defence now, unlike the bad old days when Carlile was our tallest defender in a game against geebung, and Podsiadly who was playing the 3rd tall fwd role in that game could have rested his chin on the top of Tom Clurey's head.
Esa is 108kg my man's a beast.

I didn't realise he was that big. For reference I believe Hawkins is 103kg

Jonas 84kgs

Esa is 108kg my man's a beast.

I didn't realise he was that big. For reference I believe Hawkins is 103kg

Jonas 84kgs
Agreed, 108 kgs is a very good size, particularly for someone with Esava's height and athleticism.

The 84 kgs for Jonas can't be right, I would have thought he was mid 90's at least, by comparison I'm about 4 or 5 cms shorter than him and at 93 kgs about average size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, 108 kgs is a very good size, particularly for someone with Esava's height and athleticism.

The 84 kgs for Jonas can't be right, I would have thought he was mid 90's at least, by comparison I'm about 4 or 5 cms shorter than him and at 93 kgs about average size.
Hmm you're right wiki has Jonas at 89kgs?

Aliir is 90kg which seems off
Charlie is at 107kgs

But if Esa is 108kg I do believe we have been lacking that type in our backing for a long time

Defensive one on one contests per game vs percentage of contests lost:

Exhibit A

View attachment 1835382

vs

Exhibit B

View attachment 1835386
View attachment 1835389
View attachment 1835392

Of course, Exhibit B is Aliir, Zerk-Thatcher and Ratugolea. Exhibit A is 2017 Richmond (Rance et al).

Richmond's defence went at a ratio of losing one contest in every 5. In their teams, our new defence went at a clip of losing one contest every 3, but I'm expecting that to fall to 1 in every 4.
How does that extrapolate to a game average?

Adding up the Richmond tallies indicate 15 one on ones per game.
Losing 1 in 5 (Richmond) means losing 3 per game
Losing 1 in 4 (Port Adel) means losing slightly under 4 per game.
Negligible really.

I'm less concerned with where we lose them, which I suspect is more central on the field than on the boundary, and hence far more costly.

I understand that Zerk-Thatcher is an improvement on 2023 Jonas but is he going to be better than peak Jonas (when of course we couldn't win a premiership) ditto Lycett v Soldo and Hayes v Sweet and we are minus X.

So I am afraid you are mistaken about this being the missing piece.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back