Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Just poor recruiting. We've been hyper-focused on bringing this guy over before he even played a game in defence.

Could have used this year to find someone better, but we didn't.
We should have combined every dollar we offered to Esava and BZT and offered it to Ben McKay instead.

Question for you guys re your F1..some on our board are questioning if you can trade your F1 next year should you choose in any deal to nab the players coming across. There are articles mentioning port possibly splitting the pick etc and I heard on radio that by bringing in JHF who was a pick 1 1 year earlier will work to your advantage there. Are port permitted to trade their F1 into this year or split it etc should you need to or are the reports mentioning it way off. has there been anything official from the AFL. Thanks in advance

Question for you guys re your F1..some on our board are questioning if you can trade your F1 next year should you choose in any deal to nab the players coming across. There are articles mentioning port possibly splitting the pick etc and I heard on radio that by bringing in JHF who was a pick 1 1 year earlier will work to your advantage there. Are port permitted to trade their F1 into this year or split it etc should you need to or are the reports mentioning it way off. has there been anything official from the AFL. Thanks in advance
Irrelevant, we don't want or need to.
BZT can get there and do they need to be? Weve had the best defence in the comp with Allir Jonas and Mckenzie/Cluzz
If either of them can get there it's Esava, he's at least got some good attributes, but he's got a long way to go.

I think people might be under the mistaken impression that BZT is still young. He's 25. And he's played 50+ games, all in his preferred position. He has no standout attributes. He's probably as good as he's going to get, and that's just a slightly taller Tom Clurey type.

the afl said there was no teams blocked from trading a first this off season, unless they made a mistake saying that. in any case even if we were we could argue for the same pass they've already given out

having said that there's no reason for us to trade a future 1st, only people with a fantasy wanting to see us give that up dream about that..

what would you want crows to give up for those players?

none of them are stars.

the afl said there was no teams blocked from trading a first this off season, unless they made a mistake saying that. in any case even if we were we could argue for the same pass they've already given out

having said that there's no reason for us to trade a future 1st, only people with a fantasy wanting to see us give that up dream about that..

what would you want crows to give up for those players?

none of them are stars.
If you check my postings, i am one of them that gives your trading team real credit for being aggressive and leaving no stone unturned.

Maybe pick 36 and f2 for Rat, pick 43 for ZT and a f3 for Sweet..all should be around those marks. I am not saying you'd have to trade the f1, but that if port chose to they could thats all

Edit. Any chance you know where tgat article is that mentioned the AFL allowing all clubs to trade f1 next year?

If you check my postings, i am one of them that gives your trading team real credit for being aggressive and leaving no stone unturned.

Maybe pick 36 and f2 for Rat, pick 43 for ZT and a f3 for Sweet..all should be around those marks. I am not saying you'd have to trade the f1, but that if port chose to they could thats all

Edit. Any chance you know where tgat article is that mentioned the AFL allowing all clubs to trade f1 next year?

lol what? 2 2nd rounders for esava? are you mad?

have no idea about where you would find it, was from ages ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guarantee you he will end up playing forward
We've got nobody down back apart from Aliir and McKenzie.

While Dixon, Marshall, Georgiades, Finlayson and Lord will battle for 3 spots.

We've got nobody down back apart from Aliir and McKenzie.

While Dixon, Marshall, Georgiades, Finlayson and Lord will battle for 3 spots.
I want Finlayson in a Westhoff role. Where he can use his skills and athleticism to best effect and his height will be an advantage.

I can't see Dixon and Lord playing together often unless Lord can play more games like he did against Brisbane kicking goals.

I’m not sure this is really true.

Esava just hasn’t played as a negating 1 on 1 defender, and the few times he was forced to he looked rubbish.

On what he’s produced he is not a 1 on 1 key defender who takes on big kfs.

Sorry but that’s not true - Ratugolea received the maximum 10 coaches votes for his job on Tex in round 8.

This was during an extended period of our season where we were missing SDK and J Henry (premiership FB and CHB) and Esava was taking the #1 forward each week.

That was the best defensive game he’s played for us, so I recommend having a look if you want to see what he can do.

Sorry but that’s not true - Ratugolea received the maximum 10 coaches votes for his job on Tex in round 8.

This was during an extended period of our season where we were missing SDK and J Henry (premiership FB and CHB) and Esava was taking the #1 forward each week.

That was the best defensive game he’s played for us, so I recommend having a look if you want to see what he can do.
Always good to see somebody shitting all over Taylor Walker, thanks for the recommendation.

Always good to see somebody shitting all over Taylor Walker, thanks for the recommendation.

Plus you get the bonus of seeing Fogarty kept scoreless and the Crows losing!

I do remember this game, and he did a good job on him. Walker kicked 3 but had no influence on the game aside from that. I wasn't sold on him before that game, but I changed my opinion on him.

2 very much back end of 2nd round picks..we are not talking picks 20 and 2024 21

Lol 2 2nd round picks is for players a hell of a lot better than esava.

Excuse me if I don’t buy this as something other than a crows fan wanting to see port overpay coming from a fan of a club who paid what was it? Pick 19 for dawson?

I don’t recall that game but I’m not only going by my own viewings, but I was smart enough to be checking in on the Geelong board after his previous trade request piqued my interest during the year about esava to see what Geelong fans were saying about him and it’s funny how all year long those fans were horrified whenever esava had to match up on anyone and called him dumb as a post and hopeless, but now he’s up for a trade he’s a gun?

If he played a good “lockdown” style game against the crows it sure as shit didn’t sway Geelong fans.

He still projects as a loose marking chb, and not a fb stopper that posters here keep hoping he’s going to arrive as cause they’ve seen his listed measurements.

I’ve called him Alir-lite before, and that’s a pretty accurate description.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back